Author Topic: Suggestion: Wield Oversized Weapon, Monkey Grip feats  (Read 693 times)

Maverick

• Undead Master
  • The Hanged Man
Suggestion: Wield Oversized Weapon, Monkey Grip feats
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »
Now, this has been talked about in casual for a while now but is it possible to see two new weapon feats? Specifically Monkey Grip and Weild Oversized Weapon. These feats were found in the 3.5 Complete Warrior Supplement book published by Wizards of the Coast.

Wield Oversized Weapon
Requirments: Monkey Grip feat, STR 25, Base attack bonus +21
"You can treat any weapon as if it were one size category smaller than normal and one category "lighter" for the purpose of determining the amount of effort it takes to wield. For instance, a halfling with this feat could wield a Medium short sword as a Small light weapon, or a human could wield an ogre's Large greatclub as a Medium twohanded weapon. The weapon still deals its normal amount of damage."

Naturally, there would be some changes to the requirement and need to balance it. A few people recommended locking it behind a STR requirement of 18-20 and maybe only have it as a feat for Fighters and Barbarians at a certain level (like levels 12-15), have it also require power attack or improved power attack. Now I've looked at this through rose-colored glasses and maybe there is a downside to allowing such a feat, hence why this thread was made. As for actually implementing it, someone suggested it being a combat mode you can activate or deactivate. I personally would love to see a greatsword weilding shield defender. As for duel weilding two large weapns, obviously that would be blocked.

Monkey Grip
Requirement: Base attack bonus +1
"You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change. For instance, a Large longsword (a one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon."

This one for sure would be nice. Now I don't play races smaller than Medium but the current restriction of how they wield weapons is both cool but limiting. It would be nice to see this feat be takeable for Halfling and Gnome. This will allow the smaller races to be able to wield weapons like their taller brethren. Gnome Barb anyone? Str fighter halfling? Yes, please.

Please feel free to leave ideas/discussions below! The more players/DMs/CCs that weigh in on this the better!

Edit: tldr; Weild Oversized weapon means you can weild Large weapons as single handed. Monkey Grip means you can use weapons as one size category smaller. IE Medium weapons become small.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:05:02 AM by Maverick »
Active Characters: Zlokrov, Danut Solinescu
Closured: Dorin Ratislav, Matyas Kovacs, Razvan

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Re: Feat- Wield Oversized Weapon, Monkey Grip
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »
Wield Over Sized Weapon is an epic feat, so I don't think you would see it in game.
Monkey Grip though, maybe if the devs want to implement it?

remnar

• Dark Lord
  • kill, corpsehide, girlboss
Re: Feat- Wield Oversized Weapon, Monkey Grip
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »
Wield Over Sized Weapon is an epic feat, so I don't think you would see it in game.
Monkey grip, maybe.
some epic feats are part of the regular 1-20 on this server
like greater weapon focus/specialization for fighters
or mighty rage for barbs

so these would need a change to the requirements but would still (theoretically) function

Read my guide: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=62555.0
and come to my clinic in Vallaki!

Maverick

• Undead Master
  • The Hanged Man
Re: Suggestion: Wield Oversized Weapon, Monkey Grip feats
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 05:12:07 PM »
Resurrecting this thread.

With combat form being placed in, what does everyone think about these feats for Barbarian only? As much as I like the idea of a non-penalty greataxe dual-wielding with a battle axe Barbarian, Weild Oversized Weapon is an epic feat and that would cause balance issues.

Instead, I think Monkey Grip for a Barbarian at like level 12-15 (as in they have to take the feat) would be great. Would allow a Barbarian to wield said Greataxe in the main hand and another medium or small weapon in the off-hand but with an extra -2 to attack ontop of the two-weapon fighting penalties. So instead of -4/-4 with ambidex and twf, it would be -6/-6.

Sorry again for the necroposting.
Active Characters: Zlokrov, Danut Solinescu
Closured: Dorin Ratislav, Matyas Kovacs, Razvan

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 05:32:07 PM »
I think (and I'd like to be proven wrong) that weapons being one handed or two handed are hardcoded against the creature size.

I've only seen monkey grip be implemented in NWN1 pre:EE where servers duplicated models but made them treated as one size category larger than they actually were, probably something in the .2da files, so that they suffered from the size penalty while doing this, and the character often needed to relog to have their new skin update how their inventory operated.

Using a greatsword alongside a tower shield for a -1 AB/AC penalty that only showed in the combat logs is something that can be done by having a creature model that's large category in anycase.

Stormy

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 06:42:12 PM »
As I said on discord, I love the idea of this. I've seen goliaths and half-giants coded, which means it's possible to make large weapons useable in one hand. Require a relog wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, considering we have a helmet that you have to relog every single time you put it on. Making it an optional feat would mean that people who don't want it don't have to use it. I believe it can be coded in such a way that you wouldn't add 1.5x the str bonus despite it being large, which could balance it.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 06:46:21 PM »
Once you are a large size category you don't receive the 1.5x strength bonus for wielding a greatsword in one hand, no.