Author Topic: The Free Spirit  (Read 575 times)

The Milkman

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
  • "He delivers."
The Free Spirit
« on: October 03, 2020, 03:56:34 AM »
Upon this leather bound tome is the depiction of a great bird, wings aloft to sail over an endless ocean

Foreword

A dear friend once recommended I write my journey. To chronologize the day to day events of my life and most importantly; remember who I am. I am nobody's poet, but this is my attempt to record the tribulations that beset me and my thoughts thereof. To whomever finds this document I would like to say: I tried earnestly to be the better man. To set the example as a light amidst the darkness and ruins of this realm. Now, from the bottom, I can see clearly the depth of my failure. There can be no hope for us here. We are but prisoners of some reclusive weaver of fates. Writhing, gnashing, felling one another in the carcass of a long-forgotten god. The accumulation of sins of those here and who came before rises about us in a miasma of squalor and drowns out the silent plea of the righteous; that there be something better than this.

~To be continued~

"~You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years, and receive pats on the back as you pass .. But the final reward will be heartache and tears, if you've cheated the man in the glass.~"

The Milkman

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
  • "He delivers."
Re: The Free Spirit
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 02:17:53 AM »

Origins

There is little I can recall of what came before my abduction. Fleeting memories entice me with the vision of a warm tropical land. Of a boat. Of a strong, respectable, stern man I believe to be my father. Life was easy. Fish was plentiful. Duty calls and I join the militia. That grizzled sun-kissed man swells with pride as he looks on me, and seeing him in such a state near brings me to blubbering like a weaning infant. Choke it down, put on the mask of adulthood. A final nod of approval as our cadre marches to fates unknown. Dressed in the attire of a soldier I enter the world desperate and afraid. The mist grips it's icy talons around my heart and keeps I in a perpetual state of unease, magnified by the knowledge that something is hunting, and I am on the menu. It dogs me to run, hide, escape. It watches, silhouettes in the murky mist enjoying the comfort of treading in their home domain. Eternity passes in the piercing cold. Dehydration, exposure, and exhaustion addles the brain and the belief that I erred in life settles in. That this is some fitting punishment for my soul, and what I experience now is to last forever.  Every appendage and every organ wracked with pain. Every thought tainted with the maddened edge of delirium. The end comes with my collapse after tearing through a final thicket of vegetation native to the realm I now call home.

Time is a strange thing. At times, it passes like the waters of a raging river. So it did. Primal instincts took hold and it soon became clear that evading the lupine threat of the lands was the foremost of my problems. Days pass.. I come upon the Gray City in desperate straits. Experimentation with local fauna had left my body in bilious disrepair and seeing what I believed to be the smoke of a man-made fire in the far distance resolved I to abandon camp and use the last reserves of my strength to, hopefully, encounter civilization. Charcoal burners were the siren's call, and the priests of a strange sun-worshiping religion nurse me back to health. The city, built around agrarian pursuits and the efforts of trawlers, seems strangely well-defended to me at the time. Quickly I find that food is scarce in these parts, and though the proletariat were prone to suffering from famine; the upper echelon of nobility rarely goes without.

"Come one, come all! To the Carnival!"

"If one exists, it is an aberrant and depraved mind that churns out the horrors of this land. One trembles at the thought of what designs it might conjure, but none can be so terrible as the snare reliant on our self-imposed demons. Everyone, at some level, recognizes their names. I speak now of greed."

I and a multitude of adventurers stand in attendance of a macabre specter of jovial death; cheerfully dubbed the Ringmaster. His trade: to ply willing participants to their doom. His instrument: a wheel of fortune with seven spokes. The results vary promising the unwitting contestant: a fantastical journey, a vague but surely grim curse, amnesia, amputation of an appendage (fortunately of their own choice, for whatever good that be), a pit battle with unknown creatures, victory, and gruesome death. The latter certainly most likely given the odds. In awe I watch grizzled veteran and novice alike step into that ring to test their fate. My stomach churns as I witness a dapper-dressed woman stricken with forgetfulness, who knows not how they came to be where they are, still destined to finish the spins promised to the gleeful fiend. She stares in confusion at the stricken crowd as her arm is taken. Her prize for a lifetime of memory and function? A magical helmet.

Often I think back to these moments. Why? Why did we, the noble heroes and protectors as we fancy ourselves, keep watching? Is there some subliminal fascination with the art at work here? Perhaps this fiend's true masterpiece was the apathy that permeated that morbid marquee. White-knuckled fools awaiting their turn; looking on magical baubles with nary the thought that they'd be unsuccessful, only of what ease they'd have in a world with their prize. What benefit does trinkets do the dead, and what of one's soul lost in such a gambit?

A new selection is found. Humorously enough a crystal ball; similar to those employed in the craft of fortune-telling, but capable of revealing the unseen indefinitely. I wonder now, were there a wise vistani soothsayer among us, if they could have divined the fate of one who'd risk such a game for a thing? The best of us steps forth. Her noble friends crying out in horror at her proclamation of spins. She makes her peace with them before stepping into the fiend's domain. 'Round and round it goes~ Where it lands, nobody knows~!' . . . A curse. Audible gulps and the collective holds their breath. Again it spins. Death. Cries of appalled terror ring in the crowd and perhaps .. this specter feels pity? He allows her another spin. What has she to lose, that will not already be taken? 'Tick.. tick.. tick.. tick..' The death rattle of the wheel the only sound we hear. It stops and the woman violently implodes in a spatter of viscera and gore, decorating the dirt in one final grisly painting where once a warrior woman stood. It is too much. I flee the marquee and discharge the contents of my stomach behind a tree. The nausea remains. On the gentle rocking of the caravan home between lucid nightmares I reflect on the lessons of that night. That we are so often our own undoing. That man is so easily enchanted by materialistic pursuits we lose sight of the things that give our lives true meaning.

and I walk on,
              in fear.
"~You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years, and receive pats on the back as you pass .. But the final reward will be heartache and tears, if you've cheated the man in the glass.~"

The Milkman

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
  • "He delivers."
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 12:28:15 AM »
*To be disclosed*

The Milkman

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
  • "He delivers."
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 12:30:05 AM »
In Count's Clothing

"Fear has a strange duality. It's the final resting place of the dreamer's spirit. A bone-chilling torrent that wells from the spine. It encourages inaction, cowardice, and hollow self-preservation. For some, though, there is a power in fear that invokes the awe of the gods. With life bare before your eyes, against frightful odds, you may find that it's fear that gives man wings." 

The cold dead eyes of the pitic stare back at me accusingly. His face is twisted up with whatever final thoughts racked him while his killer throttled him. Drain flies buzz incessantly around his britches and a rank extra-foul smell permeates the already rancid air. A pang of remorse in my chest. I'd thought myself numb to people dying around me by now. This one was special. Henry may not have been the most glamorous individual in the core, but he had a sort of gusto and cheer that was rare among our sorts. Now, half submerged in a river of shit, he was dead. Because of me. It's the kind of wound beyond the superficial, itching at the brain with 'what-if' and 'should've'. The embossed seal of the Zarovich ring on my hand resembles something sinister in the dim light. I gloss it against my tunic and look between it and the fallen thief.

"Damn Henry .." I avert my eyes and rub guiltily at my nape, "I'm real sorry for all this."

It's a selfish comfort. The words don't mean anything to the dead and the closure is entirely for the benefit of the killer. As I carelessly cavorted through the lands I'd brought about a hurricane of reprisal unto myself and was now, belatedly, keenly aware of the winds. There is only so much tact available to a vice-addled charlatan with nothing to lose, and I mindlessly drive myself toward the meeting spot that'd required a sacrifice to impart the memo.  "Friends?"  None. "A plan?"  Hardly. "You know they probably have dozens of these things. It's just going to be an ambush."  Yeah. I know. I owe it to Henry, though. "You're a damned fool.."  The doubt retreats as the cabin comes into view through the mists. Replaced by a sudden surge of adrenaline. Excitement hones my thoughts to the simplistic and instinct-reliant. By day I may be a humble travelling tonic merchant, but I've often moonlighted as an adventurer to recapture the thrill of my earlier days. I imbibe a medley of adventure-juice and step through the threshold to meet my fate..

~*~*~

The area around the homestead twists and writhes with deadly incantation. Toxic fumes speckle the impromptu battleground and an army of shadows stirs from the surrounding forest like the crest of a great wave. Bethany sings sweetly as she cuts through another eldritch tentacle that sought to tether me down, and I keep ready to draw forth her twin Ester at a moment's notice. Things could not have proceeded worse inside that homely little cabin. A gaggle of spirits had infested the interior and made troublesome barrier of themselves, turning out to be the welcoming party for a magister working at the Count's behest. He was miffed, to say the least, that I'd dared do what I did and evidently thought I'd turned up with some hopes of his forgiveness. Henry I hope you had a giggle when Bones Mc'Humerus hit that pompous, bungling, terrifyingly powerful wizard dolt mid-impassioned threat. Now it's all I can do to survive. Another spell is lobbed and I throw myself away from it's perceived impact zone only to have it re-route and smash against my mantle. The pain is brilliant. I suck in a ragged breath and turn to continue my desperate bid for escape only to see the entire area sprout with deadly miasma and churning tentacles that, two seconds prior, were not there. A look over the shoulder at my pursuer. The air crackles with sinister magical energy around him and he chases I with the single-minded intent of conjuring forth the most menacing death imaginable. He holds up his hand and a superimposed vision of his mitt darts out to wrap uselessly around me. The magi receives from I a harmless but equally aggravating most prominent finger of my hand as I toss myself through the final thicket.

I must have the last laugh,
                        Who would mourn me, otherwise?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 12:32:02 AM by The Milkman »

The Milkman

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
  • "He delivers."
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 09:20:19 PM »
Hard Times

"I could not stop for death, so he kindly stopped for me.."

She smells of lilac; bewitching half-drawn lids watching I as she sways gently to the soothing tones of her fiddle. A triumphant grin toward my approach. The instrument falls away and we embrace. My alluring songbird. My sweet Daria. Heaven is in her arms and I meet the supple press of her lips. Our bodies gyrate against one another to the tune of another oft-played rhythm. There is no protest from either participant; it comes as naturally as the wind and carries us along. The drum of my heart fills my ears and between beats I hear her soft voice's caressing lilt,

"Tu are not the man I fell in love with .."

I wake and it all falls away in a shower of broken fragments. Memories of another life, a better life, dredging through my peripherals as I come back to the perpetual rancid air of the Drain. My heart still yet races. My hands still feel the remnant memory of her flesh, but they are empty. She is gone. I look to my scabbards and rise to attach them to my person. Bethany and Ester. If ever they leave my life will flee with them. There is still yet remnants in my whiskey bottle from the night prior and it helps ease the withdrawals from my dreams. Leaving me here in this low world. Leaving me here in the blues.