You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Disconnecting After 30 Seconds  (Read 640 times)

Balthiel

• New to the Mists
Disconnecting After 30 Seconds
« on: September 30, 2020, 09:08:58 PM »
Hi all,

So, ever since an internet outage in my area earlier today which has since been fixed, I have been unable to stay connected to the server for more than 30 seconds to a minute. At first it loads in fine, I'm able to examine characters, see my inventory, interact with objects, etc. but after 30 seconds or so everything stops, and then I'm disconnected just a short time later with the message "Server response timed out. You have been disconnected.".

So far I have tried:
-Resetting my router
-Verifying my local game files
-Rolling back to oldstable, then to a few other confirmed stable builds (I am currently on 8193.15)
-Creating a new test character to see if it's character-specific (it's not)
-Quickly transitioning to another area to see if it was specific to the cell I was in (so far it has happened in the outskirts, the church, and the OOC new character zone)
-Deleting and redownloading the NWSync files for the server

Nothing is working, and before today I played with no connection issues whatsoever for three days. I am not having these issues on any other server, and the rest of our electronics are having zero internet issues. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. I'd really hate to have my adventure here end so abruptly. :/
Thisyrra - Half-Drow Bard

zDark Shadowz

Re: Disconnecting After 30 Seconds
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 11:04:48 PM »
I'd have cmd.exe running in the background pinging the server with ping -t X.X.X.X    (the X's being the IP address of the server) and another one set to 8.8.8.8 (google's IP address)

Issues could be anything, from someone flooding your bandwidth with windows updates/movies/chrome cast on your local TV downloading picture floods, ping zapper or some other third party app changing your connection path to the server, your internet may generally be having upload data issues...

If its just to the server IP and the google one stays 100% consistent all throughout i'm not sure what to suggest sorry. I know some people have had to use VPNs due to their providers, personally I'm not using a VPN and able to connect to the server from all the way in rural New Zealand just fine with a mere 1mbs upload 4mbs download speed, so it really doesn't take much to connect but the issues arent a server issue but a user-end issue, so whatever is happening is only specific to your setup, whatever that may be, and can't be resolved without far more information and various diagnosis methods on how stable your connection actually is in both speed and pathing.

Balthiel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 11:17:02 PM »
That's the thing, I did the ping test for like a minute, no issues whatsoever. And I was able to play just fine for the last 3 days, so I'm not sure why the provider would be the issue now, if it didn't stop me before. I'm just so frustrated because I've tried so. many. things.
Thisyrra - Half-Drow Bard

Folly

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 04:37:08 AM »
One possible problem could be DNS cache problems

Assuming you are on a windows OS,

disable your internet adapters (wireless and ethernet)

open up the CMD  [windows key + R; then type 'cmd' and press enter]

then type this whole line into the terminal:

Code: [Select]
ipconfig /release & ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /renew & ipconfig /displaydns & pause & exit
you should be able to copy and paste it into the terminal.  right click the terminal and then paste

if you copy pasted it correctly, you should see a bunch of information about your IP configuration

close the CMD terminal window and re-enable your internet adapters