Author Topic: Port-a-Lucine, Shop 3 - Placeables disappearing  (Read 709 times)

Hathor

• Dark Lord
Port-a-Lucine, Shop 3 - Placeables disappearing
« on: September 07, 2020, 05:52:54 PM »
The placeables at the "top" end of Shop 3 appear to disappear after a server reset or crash, despite being saved both by players and DMs. We had a DM save the area and confirm it was within limits last night, and no new placeables or items were added, but we still lost the top off our area. There were a few bookcases, some seating, a fireplace, our piano. Luckily a DM saved the area, but there seems to be something wrong with the shop itself.

We've noticed the memory limit is quite low for its needs, perhaps it could be raised a bit or the two large areas split in two?  We have had to block off the two back rooms (including one 2-tile room), but not being able to place anything in the larger red room puts a bit of a damper on the RP potential.

edit: It's hard to tell, but I think it might be the tile itself that's broken?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:56:20 PM by Hathor »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Port-a-Lucine, Shop 3 - Placeables disappearing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 09:37:39 PM »
We've noticed the memory limit is quite low for its needs, perhaps it could be raised a bit or the two large areas split in two?  We have had to block off the two back rooms (including one 2-tile room), but not being able to place anything in the larger red room puts a bit of a damper on the RP potential.

The limit is there for performance reasons. What you can do is remove all descriptions, and shorten any placeable names; the shorter the name/description the less "space" it takes, and thus the more you can have in one area.

Hathor

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »

The limit is there for performance reasons. What you can do is remove all descriptions, and shorten any placeable names; the shorter the name/description the less "space" it takes, and thus the more you can have in one area.

I hear you. We did do that, and confirmed with the DM that we were under the limit, but still lost items. It seems to be tied to that one tile (as well as one piano--maybe a separate issue?).

Thank you for the advice!

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 11:04:55 PM »
I have the same issue in Warehouse 1, except that it seems to also place trapdoor items in the corner of the room:
Spoiler: show

I had placed 17 Bird Cages and 17 marks that described what was in them (that was the only furniture in the entire rental). While that may up to a decent amount of characters in placeable names and descriptions, it still seems like an interior of this size, rental or not, should allow for a way higher limit. What I placed barely made 4 of the available 12 map tiles look lived in.

I personally do not know how big the placeable limit is, but I suspect that what is happening here and in Shop 3 is more of a bug than just how it is supposed to work. If it is not a bug and the rental spaces can really just handle this amount of placeables, I'd suggest making them half as large.

Edit: It also looks like the mark that didn't get deleted, to the right of the picture by the door, got it's coordinates moved.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:08:15 PM by foxtale »
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 01:22:53 PM »
I'll fix this next update but it'll mean the current setup (in this and all other full area rentals) will be lost, so best ask a DM to back it up.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 11:45:37 PM »
This should now be fixed, though short-term you may need a DM to restore the placeables.