You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Permanant housing for Rp purposes  (Read 1059 times)

Lovewitch

• New to the Mists
Permanant housing for Rp purposes
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:39:37 PM »
Ok so I have been on the server for about 2 and a half weeks now.  One of the things that I believe would add to our RP experience would a form of permanant housing.  For example (I want a small one room cave with a hidden entrance for a future character.   This would fit into my back grounds story as this character is somewhat reclusive and suspicious of others.  *I'm being vague on the character for future RP purposes but I would like something that is just mine, with a hidden entrance, a small cave I take over in game.  And turn into a small home for myself.  My character would basically be a squatter.  He'd live in the cave, keep it hidden from prying eyes and when he eventually learns to trust someone he can invite them over.  Now the only furnishings I would want in that cave are bookshelves, a chair and a bed.  I'm not talking something huge, just kind of a one chambered cave, small quiant and away from prying eyes.  My question is... Is this possible for our developers to fit it in to the world?  What would go into achieving such a thing?  Would it cost gold? (really a cave?)  And would anyone else be interested in such a thing?  Anyone else have ideas for what they would like?  Personally I think it should be something that can be achieved through RP in game.  An example of this would be, for my cave, I'd have to locate it, scout it out, clear it of animals or monsters. and need a party to help with that.  That is just an example.  well I have said my peace... Anyone else...?

Hathor

• Dark Lord
Re: Permanant housing for Rp purposes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 11:41:35 PM »
You can do this already. There is a rental system, but for your idea just find a cave that isn't occupied by monsters. Level up in carpentry and you can build many of the furnishings you hope for.

Lovewitch

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 12:12:17 AM »
But would it be persistant once I take over the cave?

Hathor

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 12:26:56 AM »
I think the furnishings would persist until the server resets, then you would have to remake them. Though for actual rental areas the furnishing will persist.

Lovewitch

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 12:36:20 AM »
Ok I know you have a rental system for shops and the like... would it be possible to rent a small stretch of land with a small cave, once the monsters are cleared they don't come back.  I make my furniture, set it up, and take over... What I'm talking about is kind of like Jirka's shop.  That's where I got the idea. for the cave.  If it had to be a rental I would be most happy to rent the cave, or a small piece of land it's on.  Or I could take over an existing cave as suggested.  My main thing is I don't want my furniture to disappear.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 12:41:26 AM »
Ok I know you have a rental system for shops and the like... would it be possible to rent a small stretch of land with a small cave, once the monsters are cleared they don't come back.  I make my furniture, set it up, and take over... What I'm talking about is kind of like Jirka's shop.  That's where I got the idea. for the cave.  If it had to be a rental I would be most happy to rent the cave, or a small piece of land it's on.  Or I could take over an existing cave as suggested.  My main thing is I don't want my furniture to disappear.

Unless it is an area specifically running on the Persistent Rental System you will lose your furniture after every server reset.  As far as I'm aware there are currently no caves running on the system.

Lovewitch

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 12:48:46 AM »
Alrighty then a recluse bagabond.  Who exactly would you talk to about getting one added to the rental system?

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice ŕ la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 12:52:42 AM »
Alrighty then a recluse bagabond.  Who exactly would you talk to about getting one added to the rental system?

The Devs keep adding them, but they are in super-high demand still AFAIK and gobbled up immediately.

Not sure whether the Devs intend any except for actual buildings.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Rainor

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 01:11:45 AM »
I do believe there is a cave somewhere in the module, with a campfire and bookcase prebuilt. It even lets you warp to the OOC room.

I'd like the idea of some caves or other wild-like areas that would save placeables. Maybe instead of making them some sort of rentable, they can just be free for all areas that anyone can use and would save whatever's built?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »
The rental system is in place to foster interactions between people so locations are mainly located in established hubs; they're not meant to be one character's personal space, and aren't designed with one character in mind but for reusability. As such, we won't build a cave solely for your character nor convert an existing dungeon for that purpose.

I encourage you to use the existing system and rent a room/building in one of the available rentals instead.

Lovewitch

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 04:07:52 AM »
It was just a thought man, I'm cool with your server as it is and I accept DM rulings.  Can you rent a cabin? or something like that in a wilderness setting?  Not every ones wants to be a suburbanite...  I'm just trying to open a discussion for more rental options...

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 06:47:43 AM »
Unfortunately there are no rental cabins, the best you can do out in the wild is a tent placeable...
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 07:00:19 PM »
It was just a thought man, I'm cool with your server as it is and I accept DM rulings.  Can you rent a cabin? or something like that in a wilderness setting?  Not every ones wants to be a suburbanite...  I'm just trying to open a discussion for more rental options...

The wilderness itself is meant to be wild, untamed, dangerous in Barovia, so it's unlikely we'll add persistent structures there to facilitate turning it into something more comfy or urban. You can still set up camps, tents, there, to inhabit it but ultimately it's always at the person's peril. Also, as stated before, the goal is to foster interactions between people; a camp in the middle of nowhere will likely lead to isolation.

Lovewitch

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 01:25:38 AM »
I understand 8D