Author Topic: Night Creature Along the Vallaki and Krofburg Road  (Read 782 times)

mappinger

• Undead Slayer
Night Creature Along the Vallaki and Krofburg Road
« on: August 28, 2020, 09:54:56 AM »
The journey between Krofburg and Vallaki through the mountains *at night* is one of the safest paths in the game, perhaps more than it should be for 5 screens of travel during *the night.*

The thought occurred to me and another player: what if there was a possible spawn in a random part of this trail, something that gives one pause. Say a weird/cool variety of nocturnal mountain ogre-things (a la "The Hills Have Eyes").

But these would not be present during the day since low-level players rely on this run to make gold.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:56:44 AM by mappinger »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Night Creature Along the Vallaki and Krofburg Road
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »
The journey between Krofburg and Vallaki through the mountains *at night* is one of the safest paths in the game, perhaps more than it should be for 5 screens of travel during *the night.*

The thought occurred to me and another player: what if there was a possible spawn in a random part of this trail, something that gives one pause. Say a weird/cool variety of nocturnal mountain ogre-things (a la "The Hills Have Eyes").

But these would not be present during the day since low-level players rely on this run to make gold.

The length of the journey while burdened can make timing it for a round-trip entirely in daylight difficult. Despite the lack of spawns (other than the crag cats and bloodhawk), I've never thought that road particularly safe feeling.

Its isolation while attracting lowbies makes it perfect for AMPCs to catch lone travelers who think it risk free.

Nothing wrong with your suggestion, but predictable monsters just get adjusted around. I personally find that trek spookier than, for example, either group of ogres on the way to VoB.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:50:52 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 02:31:59 PM »
Yeah, if you want spooky, that isolated feeling is not particularly out of place. It makes it really easy to focus on any RP that's going on when you are up there. Patrolling predators that only show up every so often could spice things up, but I agree, just having packs of random mobs populating the place means people will come by to cull the spawn and then just go back where they came from.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

mappinger

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 03:00:36 PM »
Yeah, if you want spooky, that isolated feeling is not particularly out of place. It makes it really easy to focus on any RP that's going on when you are up there. Patrolling predators that only show up every so often could spice things up, but I agree, just having packs of random mobs populating the place means people will come by to cull the spawn and then just go back where they came from.

Both comments do highlight something I failed to mention. The mountain trek does provide a really great experience of isolation, be it day, and especially night.

As for whether players would come to eliminate a spawn that could be in a variety of locations (or maybe isn't spawned at all) that span 4-5 screens, I don't know...seems like a lot of work for a one-off threat that may or may not be present during the night. Especially if finding anything is sporadic enough that traveling far to the middle of nowhere for a no-show isn't super appealing.

Though I suppose the spirit of the initial suggestion pertains more broadly regarding areas that become too routine in lacking occasional and unexpected threats. This particular road at night simply struck me as the most outstanding example when I was making the run after dark knowing that I wouldn't encounter anything.

Edit: Also there are so many great turns and shadowy boulders that provide a sense of gothic horror themed I-wonder-what-could-be-behind/around-that?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 03:24:52 PM by mappinger »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 03:23:26 PM »
If it's a chance happening it's less likely people will try to farm it, this is true. People do go to extraordinary efforts to hit just about any dungeon as long as there is a reasonable expectation that it will be there. Finding something unexpected along the way -- or not finding anything at all, and breathing a sigh of relief -- can very much add to the experience.

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
Folk looking to kill things on the way to the barrow up there might just have reason to go looking for other things to slaughter, imo.

DM Sinister

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 07:22:53 AM »
If it's a chance happening it's less likely people will try to farm it, this is true. People do go to extraordinary efforts to hit just about any dungeon as long as there is a reasonable expectation that it will be there. Finding something unexpected along the way -- or not finding anything at all, and breathing a sigh of relief -- can very much add to the experience.

So a more randomised chance of enemies with a high cahnce of none spawning? So you never know if and when you might encounter something.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
Yeah, with only a random chance of spawning and their position made less predictable because of patrol routes, I think ambient threats would be a bit more compelling. The lonely road to Krofburg would be one such place it would be especially fitting.