Author Topic: PotM's Custom/Crafted Exotic Weapons  (Read 857 times)

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
PotM's Custom/Crafted Exotic Weapons
« on: August 24, 2020, 03:08:52 PM »
Having Conner as a heavyweight crafter gives me a fair bit of insight on a number of things regarding differences in items, but sometimes you don't notice everything until you make a new character and try a new idea out...

Yesterday, I launched a new alt who is a nunchaku wielder.  Nunchakus, as most know, require the exotic weapons feat to wield.  Exotic weapons typically have some combination of advantages over their martial counterparts, including: maybe slightly higher damage, an extended crit range, some bonus skill points, a smaller size category, or maybe even a bonus combat feat.

The problem appears when you start RPing and eventually go to upgrade as part of your play.  It seems the crafted nunchakus lose the parry bonus entirely.  Aside from being 1 pound lighter, there is almost no difference between a crafted nunchaku and a crafted club... which pretty much any character can use anyway.  They do the same damage, they have the same crit range.  The nunchaku is one size category smaller, though, but that alone makes it hard to justify the exotic weapon proficiency feat. 

So, at the risk of now sounding a bit self-serving, I would suggest the following:

--Give crafted nunchakus the parry bonus like many of the other regular and "magic item" nunchakus OR maybe give them a 19-20 crit range OR a higher crit multiplier
--Give crafted (and all) nunchakus the improved disarm feat (I've also seen separate threads about this for whips - it's a pointless feat bonus here, since everyone gets it free anyway)

There are probably other examples of this among the other custom exotic weapon types (I haven't crafted one yet, but I'd be curious in the sai is in a similar boat).

--Matticus

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:57:14 AM by MatticusCaesar »
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

Yesper

Re: PotM's Custom/Crafted Exotic Weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 10:47:27 PM »
An even bigger issue that I ran into, personally, was with the double scimitars. It appears that CEP/custom weapons are largely unable to be enchanted which is a massive pain to find out when you're at the stage to start doing so. Perhaps revisiting each one individually would be beneficial.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 10:56:27 PM »
An even bigger issue that I ran into, personally, was with the double scimitars. It appears that CEP/custom weapons are largely unable to be enchanted which is a massive pain to find out when you're at the stage to start doing so. Perhaps revisiting each one individually would be beneficial.

CEP/Custom weapons should be enchantable now; that was a bug a while back but it should be fixed. If it isn't, let me know.

Yesper

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 11:04:43 PM »

CEP/Custom weapons should be enchantable now; that was a bug a while back but it should be fixed. If it isn't, let me know.

I'll give it a whirl once I am able to craft one again. If it works, I'll be paying the relevel crystal a visit. I'll shoot you a PM if I run into the same issue again.  :D

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 06:51:15 PM »
There are probably other examples of this among the other custom exotic weapon types (I haven't crafted one yet, but I'd be curious in the sai is in a similar boat).

Yeah, I just confirmed this: crafted sais loose the normal version's parry bonus also... it's no wonder no one really uses the crafted versions of these unusual weapons.

--Matticus
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld