You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: hostile npc 'recruiting' others  (Read 961 times)

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
hostile npc 'recruiting' others
« on: August 10, 2020, 10:57:31 AM »
not sure if this is working as intended. I had OCR 15 enough not to trigger hostility in barovia, went to midway haven to buy alchemy stuff and switched off my ring of lies, which raised my OCR to 16 and he turned hostile. went out and rested and casted eagles so I dont need the ring and went back in to see if he is non-hostile yet. he was not and he runned to room opposite to alchemy lab, and soon after those two other npc turned hostile too. So they turned hostile cause this one hostile guy "told them about me being monster" or is it bug? the other guy killed me and someone stole my gold while I was not online..

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: hostile npc 'recruiting' others
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
A long time ago, I saw someone cast in front of that NPC, and IIRC something very similar happened.

That is, the first NPC ran out, and several NPCs came in and killed the caster.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

NacreCicatrix

• Dark Lord
  • loser
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »
Not a bug. You'll notice this in some dungeons. Injured enemies will run to other spawn nodes to 'recruit' or alert them. Then they'll wander back to you.
Some NPCs, largely commoners, will just flee upon sighting someone with high OCR. The Midway Haven is populated with adventurers, so some of them will react offensively instead.
The alchemist won't forget you because you swapped out some gear. Perhaps your character should find somewhere else to practice alchemy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:19:45 PM by Homebrew Hokum »
It is not an ending, but an ebbing.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 09:05:31 AM »
Yeah, npcs can alert other npcs. You see this all the time with bandits.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 01:15:20 PM »
If you went offline while dead, it's not really stealing your gold. There's consequences to consider, and you chose to go offline instead of get help. I've been dead and watched my gold get scooped up. It happens. Also, you should not air grievances like this in a post, the person in question can't really defend themselves or their actions, and to be frank, you went offline, and did things in the first place that gave you an OCR. Gold comes and goes in this game, and you have to be careful and mindful of the setting if you want to avoid this and utilize public facilities.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 01:57:13 AM »
If you went offline while dead, it's not really stealing your gold. There's consequences to consider, and you chose to go offline instead of get help. I've been dead and watched my gold get scooped up. It happens. Also, you should not air grievances like this in a post, the person in question can't really defend themselves or their actions, and to be frank, you went offline, and did things in the first place that gave you an OCR. Gold comes and goes in this game, and you have to be careful and mindful of the setting if you want to avoid this and utilize public facilities.

explaining the situation is griefing?

also it is kind of poor example that bandits recruit others as they all are hostile by default.

Relapse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 02:44:19 AM »
explaining the situation is griefing?

I think your original post was fine. The incident is an interesting one!

I know it wasn't the topic of your original post but if you do want the incident reviewed for compensation it's best to take screenshots and raise it with a DM IG or in the generic requests thread and let them review it.

NacreCicatrix

• Dark Lord
  • loser
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 04:33:44 AM »
It isn't a 'poor example', since the NPCs will alert other NPCs who are out of visual range. They're not 'recruiting' strangers to their cause. They're raising the alarm. It doesn't matter if they're hostile or not. PotM NPCs have more intelligence than 'hit it until its dead'.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:42:07 AM by Homebrew Hokum »
It is not an ending, but an ebbing.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 10:09:02 PM »
Indeed, this isn't a bug but how the AI functions when faced with hostile characters.

Thundron

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 07:25:57 AM »
It isn't a 'poor example', since the NPCs will alert other NPCs who are out of visual range. They're not 'recruiting' strangers to their cause. They're raising the alarm. It doesn't matter if they're hostile or not. PotM NPCs have more intelligence than 'hit it until its dead'.

raising alarm? so man thinks  you are monsters and goes "monster! please help!" and other npc run to him and look around like "where is this monster you are talking about?" and as the man points you they just hit you until you are dead cause some guy said you are monster.. No logic in my oppinion..

*Also it shouldnt matter if im online or not when someone steal my money, cause ghosts dont remember anyting right?

but lets forget this. im sick of this like two post ago.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:08:14 AM by Thundron »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
With an OCR of 16+ the typical Barovian is revolted by your character's presence and would regard them as a monster.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.