Author Topic: Having issues when setting up character  (Read 1780 times)

Scrublord

• Outlander
  • Life is an illusion so is pants
Having issues when setting up character
« on: August 07, 2020, 10:30:07 PM »
Hello

I'm new to the POTM server (started less then a week ago) and I was having a lot of fun with it until I received a major problem. Last night my character got enough
exp to advance to level 3 and I was going to level him up. Before my character could get to level 3 I had to set up the Origin and Subrace for him which I delayed a bit so I could explore the setting first.  The problem is whenever I try to set up my character Race and origin in the settings my game always crashes right after I accept the terms and conditions for it making me unable to get past Lvl 2. I asked some players for help with the problem and they responded with ask a DM and when I contacted a DM he said post it on the forum so here I am!

I was really having fun with this server and hope I can get stronger to have more experiences with other players and to not drag them down.
Thank you to whoever answers in advance
"Life itself is only a vision, a dream. Nothing exists save empty space and you! And you are but a thought."

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Having issues when setting up character
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 10:56:54 PM »
Are you playing on console?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 11:41:56 PM »
I am playing on the switch which I believe is a console
"Life itself is only a vision, a dream. Nothing exists save empty space and you! And you are but a thought."

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 12:00:15 AM »
Unfortunately, there are some well-known instability issues with consoles and the rest menu. Any and all information you could provide us about the exact way you cause the crashes would be useful. I'm going to move this thread to Bug Reports.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 12:19:20 AM »
The issue seems to be triggered by 2 Main things

1. Resting and sleeping after I settle in or close my eyes it crashes slightly before or after it gives you the notification about your exp gain and how close you are to levelling up (I still get the exp).

2. Whenever I try to make my character origin and subrace everything works out fine at first until the last step in establishing it when the terms of agreements about your character having abilities and achievements to match the stats and ingame info and when I accept it the game crashes either immediately after or when it shows the white notification on top of you about your new character height and other traits after I click agree.

Also thank you very much for the quick responses

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 10:11:28 AM »
Yeah, it's a bug with the Switch and resting menus. There's nothing we can do on our end unfortunately.

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »
So my character is damned to forever stay at level 2? That sucks thanks for helping though

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 01:24:51 PM »
So my character is damned to forever stay at level 2? That sucks thanks for helping though

If you have access to a PC you can set up your character there then go back to the Switch.

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 02:55:22 PM »
I might be able to do that but if I can’t Is there any other way to make my character able to pull his own weight in higher level areas despite their low level like a deal at the amber temple or stat alterations

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »
I might be able to do that but if I can’t Is there any other way to make my character able to pull his own weight in higher level areas despite their low level like a deal at the amber temple or stat alterations

Unfortunately no. I suggest reporting the issue to Beamdog so it may be fixed in the future by their team.

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 03:20:54 PM »
I cant get it on my computer so I have no idea what to do now since I can't level up to actually do most of the content. Its a shame because I was having a lot of fun too before that and the community seems pretty nice. Thanks for trying to help though I really appreciated it. :).

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 08:39:56 PM »
Is their anything fun I could do without fighting? If not i'll just go back to baldur's gate for the switch. Sucks to because I bought both of the games for multiplayer and I cant use it on either one.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »
Since it's a roleplaying server, there's plenty to do without fighting. But it might be a bit painful on the Switch, given all that's been mentioned here and in other bug report threads. If portability is your concern and you want to roleplay, I would think about a laptop. You could probably buy a $200-300 prebuilt laptop that can run this game well.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 11:03:07 PM »
I cant get it on my computer...

What is causing you to not be able to install it on your computer?

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 11:15:30 PM »
My computer despite being advanced enough to get it is too old and worn so whenever I play games online or download something it starts to overheat or crash

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 11:19:43 PM »
My computer despite being advanced enough to get it is too old and worn so whenever I play games online or download something it starts to overheat or crash

Oh. Well then yeah, not much to do except something like Sardine's suggestion.

This player was using a Switch for a while, so you might DM her directly to see if she found any workarounds for the leveling up issue:

https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4924

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 11:20:52 PM »
ok thank you for your help  I'll take your advice and see if I can get any help

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »
I asked the person it seems they only managed to play because they had characters from another console

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 01:25:01 PM »
I asked the person it seems they only managed to play because they had characters from another console
To clarify, I was fine because I set up all my characters using my laptop before it died.

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 08:18:41 PM »
Thinking about I might have an idea to fix it for one character, but it requires another person an is asking a lot.

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 11:13:22 PM »
Huzzah

I was testing the glitches and for now it seems I can properly rest but I still cannot make a character origin, but as stated in my earlier post I might be able to fix the character at least

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 03:23:20 AM »
How did you fix the resting issue?

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 01:10:10 PM »
I believe I can rest because the main issue for it was the exp notification but because I am stuck at the levelling up option it does not appear.
Sucks too the not being able to rest I can handle but the not setting up character origin is very frustrating

If someone with a pc would be willing to help me out with an idea I have I might be able to set up an origin for one of my characters so I can at least play on the server properly. It would be asking for a huge favor though so I don't know about asking about it.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »
If no one else is sorting you dm me with your proposal

Scrublord

• Outlander
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 05:49:14 PM »
So I had the idea of having someone else change my character subrace/origin on their pc which would solve the problem for 1 character (I could just change my password later), but the issue is when she looked up my username it didn't work because when they looked up my Id name (which I assume is the name next to your in game character in parenthesis) never appeared. 

I started to check my character to see whats wrong I had found something else interesting where my plane of origin was set up (toril) but I could still not level up, with the same message about why I can't so my only guess is after making subrace and plane of origin there is something else I have to do or a glitch

So now I am just very confused on what's up with my character and profile (I can give you the info if you want it) and getting a bit desperate to solve my problem