You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Several bugs in the Vestibule dungeon  (Read 660 times)

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Several bugs in the Vestibule dungeon
« on: August 04, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
On the first floor, everything seemed normal, but when we opened the locked gates in the library, the chests were unable to be have their traps removed despite beating the DC by more than just a few points. Unlocking them worked, so we just soaked the damage, but an at-level character could easily be killed by these traps with no chance whatsoever of disarming them, so it's not very appropriate to leave it like this.

We did find some enemies and loot on the second floor, but on every floor below, enemies seemed less frequent until the point where they just stopped spawning altogether and all of the containers -- chests, bookshelves, book piles, etc. were empty. The chests were locked and trapped, so surely it couldn't have been someone ahead of us. The top floor was high spawn, so the lower levels should have had enemies and stuff in them, right?

This is the second time I've ever been in this dungeon so I don't really know what happened, but the first time I came down here (around a year ago) there was definitely stuff down in those later levels, but something must be broken now.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:26:53 PM by SardineTheAncestor »
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

zDark Shadowz

Re: Several bugs in the Vestibule dungeon
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 03:45:35 PM »
The end situation can happen if someone previously killed only the creatures at the end (though I'd still expect some treasure still, however poor, if there were enemies spawning in the same area at all.)

As for the traps - Did the person attempting to disable the trap have rogue levels?

Traps higher than DC 35 can only be disabled by someone who has class levels in rogue (though they can be recovered if otherwise set to recoverable). If it was set to undisarmable there wouldn't be a DC visible, I think.

Skipping floors of multilayered dungeons to fight only things worth fighting is something that will happen if the difficulty of the creatures within vary that much.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:49:20 PM by zDark Shadowz »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 05:05:10 PM »
It was more like this, I should clarify: on the top floor it was high spawn, on the second floor it was high spawn, but there's less enemies down there so it seemed like they were fading away. Then on the third floor there was just nothing. No loot, no enemies, but locked & trapped chests abound.

The character attempting the disarm didn't have rogue levels, but has disabled DC 35+ traps before. These traps were DC 40. I believe the DC 35 rule only applies for trap detection, at least according to the NWN Wiki, but this wouldn't be the first secret the game keeps from players. (e: nevermind, found the answer here, but that doesn't explain how they got into all those other locks)

I was told once that the entire dungeon's spawn will change based on what is killed inside, accounting for losses. Whatever the case may be, I don't think it was a conscious design choice to make "deep" areas of dungeons not respawn at all, despite the areas above them being fully respawned and elevated to max spawn. We killed everything we found, progressing slowly through the dungeon at a walking pace while talking the whole way, so that should have been more than enough time for the areas below us to respawn. It was at least a full hour on the first floor that most people probably clear in 10-15 minutes, for reference on how leisurely our pace was. The only thing we got were locked, trapped chests, with no loot in them, and bookshelves that were empty.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:10:54 PM by SardineTheAncestor »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:20:06 PM »
If theyve gotten past DC36+ traps before they probably recovered (requiring 10 higher than the disable DC) or tripped rather than disabled, and some traps are set as unrecoverable.

Locks fortunately dont have this rogue requirement.

Anyone thats ninjalooted hags by killing just the hags know that the spawn will shift so that even if the monsters at the entrance remain mostly the same, the deeper in spawn still takes the brunt of the monster removal. (You wouldnt want hags respawning after 15min if they were the only thing killed after all)

Same with Cursts and its double layers. You can have a max spawn in the first layer but if you clear out the second layer, barring anything else increasing again over time, that second layer remains at that lowered cleared level.

A full floor clear is a full floor clear.

Could just be a bug with the spawn too I guess (who knows how it really works) but at least the traps have been explained.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:26:17 PM by zDark Shadowz »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »
I hope that's not the case, that it's so extreme like this that it would never rebuild. Feels kinda disappointing, since we already have a ninjalooting system in place that prevents the same characters from going to the same dungeon to loot it twice, maybe that could be expanded to just prevent the same people from sniping bosses, while not affecting the experience of other players who come by hours later to have some fun in a dungeon. /shrug