Author Topic: [Action] AoE spells damage players  (Read 1371 times)

Maffa

• Dark Power
[Action] AoE spells damage players
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »
As per title, Action should be a no PVP server, and AoE spells do damage players.

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Verro Diabolico

• New to the Mists
Re: [Action] AoE spells damage players
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 06:39:43 AM »
As per title, Action should be a no PVP server, and AoE spells do damage players.
AoE spells damaging players is not a problem related to PVP, it become a problem if players use them to grief other players.
IMHO the solution is not removing the AoE damage, but report players that use it to do PVP, that is forbidden.
Moreover, if someone feels to be afflicted by other players who break the rules, the solution is to report the bad behavior, not to pay back breaking the rules herself.
AoE damage is an important aspect of tactical combat management, which would never be the same without it.
Cheers

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 02:45:03 PM »
I don't think there's anything we can do efficiently to fix this. As mentioned by Verro, if people grief others using this, it's best to report them.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:14:05 AM »
I had been asked by a DM to properly report the bug in the proper thread and so I did. If there's nothing one can do about it then so be it. Thank you for your consideration.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 06:11:52 AM »

At first I thought, how strange, this should be an easy fix, you just change the module settings to prevent party members being damaged by AoE spells, but then I realised that it's an unintended consequence of disabling the party function lol, sometimes the glaringly obvious just isn't obvious at all.

Would it be worth enabling the party function on the action server?

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:27:53 AM »
I was more under the impression its a result of the difficulty setting. 

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
I think I've found a fix for this for the action server so area spells cast by players can't damage other players.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 11:10:06 PM »
This should now be fixed. Can you test?

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 07:44:46 AM »
i have tried it a few times. Instant AoE damage (fireballs) doesnt deliver damage to players or summoned creatures, but persistent AoE and non damage effect still apply (acid fog). Since effects still apply i suppose spells like grease, web and radiant assault will deliver seconday effects, but i plan to test it further.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 06:53:54 PM »
i have tried it a few times. Instant AoE damage (fireballs) doesnt deliver damage to players or summoned creatures, but persistent AoE and non damage effect still apply (acid fog). Since effects still apply i suppose spells like grease, web and radiant assault will deliver seconday effects, but i plan to test it further.

Can you give specific examples? I think some spells will need to be fixed individually.

Maffa

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 10:28:38 AM »
I have tested radiant assault, web, fireball, acid fog, evard's, blade barrier, hammer of the gods, and a few others.

So far, I believe players dont suffer any damage, but suffer from secondary effects (slow effects without any doubt, not certain with other because we are all high level and i dont know if saves were successful or not applied).

Summons suffer the full blunt of spells, both damage and secondary effects.

Character List:

Marph - Closured

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 06:06:16 PM »
I have tested radiant assault, web, fireball, acid fog, evard's, blade barrier, hammer of the gods, and a few others.

So far, I believe players dont suffer any damage, but suffer from secondary effects (slow effects without any doubt, not certain with other because we are all high level and i dont know if saves were successful or not applied).

Summons suffer the full blunt of spells, both damage and secondary effects.

If possible, can you list which spells are affected and which effects; we have hundreds of spells so going through them one by one is hardly ideal. As you encounter them, you can post them here (or ask others to as well).