You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Norton and Initial PotM Download Problems - Anyone Run Into This?  (Read 626 times)

mappinger

• Undead Slayer
My previous computer did not encounter any problems downloading the initial PotM files from the server.

My brand new computer did to the point I had to uninstall Norton - turning off the Firewall still left things in place with Norton that it blocked the game server. Oddly it allowed about 40% of the content to come through, then refused to do so for the remainder of the content. Though it may be worth noting, that the download did stop a lot for that initial 40%.

Any acknowledgment of this issue for anyone with Norton would be appreciated. --thx

*My fear is that when I reinstall Norton, that this problem may crop up again when there are updates to the game; though maybe updates are a fundamentally different kind of thing???

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:57:24 PM by mappinger »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Re: Norton and Initial PotM Download Problems - Anyone Run Into This?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:40:03 PM »
In my experience, antivirus software is the virus slowing down your computer, constantly bothering you with false positives like this and getting in your way.

As you are probably aware, there's nothing malicious in the PotM install files.

I don't use third party antivirus software, and I suggest for the sake of your own sanity that you unsubscribe if you are paying for it & do not reinstall it. 15-20 years ago, Norton may have had a good reputation among AV users, but no more. It is known to cause issues like this just like Kaspersky and McAfee. These programs fell out of favour over a decade ago because they caused more problems than they offered solutions.

Microsoft Security Essentials which came built in with your computer is more than sufficient; if you feel like you really need the extra security, consider MalwareBytes Anti Exploit which is free and has a stellar reputation.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.