You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: XP by RP gains as a Ghost  (Read 1227 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
XP by RP gains as a Ghost
« on: July 19, 2020, 09:44:23 PM »
Bug: Gaining Experience points while dead

Recreate: Die and linger as a ghost for a while, emote within the rules, gain EXP.

Spoiler: show

I am not sure if this is a bug, an oversight, a side effect, or a feature. It doesn't seem like I should be getting xp from my contributions as a ghost. It has been steady.

Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

slash

• Dark Lord
Re: XP by RP gains as a Ghost
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 10:32:48 PM »
As far as I'm aware, you don't receive EXP from RP as a ghost, you just receive the message when it ticks in the log. :^)
"My soul is overflowing with obeisant reverence, and Your Most Illustrious Excellency of benignity, to you I most humbly bow." -Francesco Ferdinando Alfieri.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 11:07:17 PM »
XP pending before dying may tick. Not sure about ghosts definitely not getting XP ticks, and its not something I'd be willing to test.

Generally you don't gain experience if other people can't see you properly, which ghost form tends to do but one would have to check a consistent back and forth between someone under see invisibility and the ghost in close enough proximity.

More than two XPs tick over a continued period would be something to be concerned over, as it seems apparent on the provided screenshot.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 01:59:00 AM »
It is definitely more regular than that as well. I've gotten well over a dozen ticks just today, not counting the previous night's death knells of exp. Definitely not a single tick right after death. I am also noticing I am getting them as long as I emote even if other people are not close enough to see me.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

don't hate me I'm smARD

• Society of the Erudite
  • New to the Mists
  • Я роняю запад.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 02:01:00 AM »
Do you have the death buffs? Are you only having the dazed and arcane spell failure debuff?

One time I noticed when you miss the death buffs when you're dead |(a bug) you can get the rp xp.
Th'rar
Lathalin Falvanti

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 02:26:39 AM »
Do you have the death buffs? Are you only having the dazed and arcane spell failure debuff?

One time I noticed when you miss the death buffs when you're dead |(a bug) you can get the rp xp.
I have all the death buffs and everything is normal and functioning correctly.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 05:16:08 AM »
Tested it, first rest message after death indicated I received a lot of XP.

"Very learning and insightful".
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

don't hate me I'm smARD

• Society of the Erudite
  • New to the Mists
  • Я роняю запад.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 07:49:27 AM »
Tested it, first rest message after death indicated I received a lot of XP.

"Very learning and insightful".

Well acknowledging you're a roaming ghost is kind of indeed a very learning and insightful experience, they ain't wrong.
Th'rar
Lathalin Falvanti

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 08:19:10 AM »
Since spirit roleplay is still roleplay, there's nothing wrong with gaining RP XP as a ghost as long as you follow the spirit rules. RP XP is an OOC mechanism to acknowledge the player has been roleplaying.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:41:27 AM »
But since XP is representing 'learning' and growth in ability, would that still apply considering once raised you forget all you saw while dead completely?

Yesper

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 10:58:17 AM »
I agree with Nem. There is no IC character growth that can occur by your spirit wandering about and interacting with others. You shouldn't be gaining experience while dead.

Agony

• Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 02:54:39 PM »
RP XP is already a reward that doesn't explicitly reflect your character actually learning anything. (How many conversations are actually full of revelations and epiphanies, after all?) It's an outside mechanic to reward and encourage RP, so it does seem to me that RP should also be rewarded in ghost form.

inkcorvid

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »
Seconding the above, but there's even a plausible IC justification. Provided you do eventually return, death itself is a learning experience. If you've done a lot of spirit RP, then that tends to suggest it was a particularly significant death. Even if you can't remember any thing that happened while you were a dead, something must have gone drastically wrong for you to have drawn your last breath, and taken as a whole, that's potentially something you could have "learned" from.
Active: Nissa Arden, Chiara Grassini
Shelved: Dindalmogra Ggol, Serinda Takmarin, Lyra Rimewood, Sofie Reiss, Aidelina Gatteux, Odette Sautereau, Livny Skovgaard, Innogen Ashe
Closed: Anjeza Bajramovic, Nim Farboffle

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice ŕ la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 03:17:10 PM »
I see compelling reasons above for both awarding RP XP while in spirit form and not, but having referred back to the thread discussing spirit RP, I think it's better that XP be awarded. Here is a quote from MAB on that thread:

The spirit of the rule is to keep roleplaying at all time even in spirit form, not to prevent anyone to get help.

Dying and having to play a spirit is not much fun, especially if it lasts very long. Giving RP XP is an incentive to do it well and otherwise stick with it. I don't see a reason to take away RP XP from someone who is playing by the rules.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 03:18:41 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
I need to find a way to have a new level two die outside of the bank in Port-A-Lucine. Fastest level 20 here I come.

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 03:39:56 PM »
New PotM Achievement: level all the way from 2 to 20 as a spirit.
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice ŕ la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 03:46:40 PM »
Fastest level 20 here I come.

You are going to be pretty disappointed if you expect to level quickly from 19 to 20 on RP alone :P

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 03:49:15 PM »
Well I don't level quickly from combat XD

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 05:39:26 PM »
Hey, 19 to 20 on rp alone isn’t that hard...I also found the spirit rp to have been very fun and enriching, even if all I was able to be was an echo of moments past and final moments. It has been very compelling rp.

I am on the fence about it. It was nice to level up, because I did, knowing 9-10 was pure rp alone, though I see too many reasons why it shouldn’t be. But I digress, it’s a feature, not a bug.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Crowl

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 06:49:06 PM »
RP XP is already a reward that doesn't explicitly reflect your character actually learning anything. (How many conversations are actually full of revelations and epiphanies, after all?) It's an outside mechanic to reward and encourage RP, so it does seem to me that RP should also be rewarded in ghost form.

I agree with this statement
Playing: Maeldwen Erynaedh/Irach