Author Topic: A Letter written in Elvish script at Degannwy and the MC  (Read 858 times)

Sinful Mystic

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
A Letter written in Elvish script at Degannwy and the MC
« on: July 05, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
It is with heavy heart and troubled mind that I write the words that follow. Since my return there has been some confusion about "Leadership" among the Elves and Degannwy. I am told this is a point of confusion and division to our friends and kin alike. I will therefore do my best to clarify the situation as I understand it.

About three years ago many of us Outlander Elves were greatly concerned about the safety of Degannwy and a possible return of Soth. A great gathering of kin who called Degannwy home or close to heart was held. At that meeting we decided we would like a regular body to be observing the Forests and keeping watch for potential threats. I was elected Warden of Degannwy and with that mandate formed the Guardians of Degannwy. The Marquessa chose to honor our election and concerns acknowledging my standing as Warden and the role of these Guardians, though she set a strict edict that it was never to be a formal army that would cause concern to our neighbors in Vallaki.

This prompted an era where many of our kin more actively played a part in battling the evils that threaten all, we took our place among the goodly Churches, the Wayfarers and other like minded groups and did our best to make Degannwy and Vallaki safer for all.

In a period of quiet the Marquess, in her wisdom, chose to form another group. It's aims and mandate were never made clear to me but it felt as if the Guardians had been supplanted and so I dissolved them. My understanding is that this group has now also been discarded and yet a new entity was formed.

Now with no mandate from kin or Marquessa former members of both groups as well as some veterans from Soth's attack formed a new association which is what presents itself as Degannwy's  leadership to this day.

Now before I go further I should make it very clear that the Marquessa has little to no interest in the affairs and dealings of Elves outside of Degannwy. She wishes us well and has provided us a safe haven but that seems to be the extent of her interest, and rightly so as she has a court and native people to lead.

So when we talk of Elven leadership there are really two parallel systems, one for the Court and another for us Outlanders.

When I returned I was lead to understand the current "leadership" had inherited the mandate of the Marquessa's previous group and thus had her authority. As one sworn to serve the Marquessa it seemed only natural I should work with them. So as I formed the Academy of Vandria and began to help the Vallaki factions with some monster troubles I began a relationship with them.

Make no mistake that this group represent some people very dear and important to me. However when one lives by a code as I do one must conduct themselves in a certain manner. It is not easy to follow a leader or group which does not adhere to a similar code. What might be a pragmatic tactical decision to one can be an act of dishonor to another. That is my limitation though and it was this dilemma which caused me to break away and chart my own path. I do not claim to represent Degannwy, I represent the Academy and House Tel'Duthoril. As such I have formed my own alliances and chart my own policies and treaties, independent of Degannwy.

As many know there is tension with the Drow. As far as I can see the range of views on the subject is about as varied as our hair colors. Some give the Drow no thought, others live for revenge against them. It is how to handle this problem that has lead to our present confusion.

I believe as a free willed woman I have the right to make up my own mind how I wish to relate to the Drow and do not feel subject to a treaty or agreement put forward by self appointed leaders.

This independence though has not come without a price and shedding light on some ugly trends. I fear Beatrice is misrepresenting me in an attempt to shelter Tinu from criticism. I am being portrayed as blood thirsty, full of hatred for Drow and causing division among our kin. What is ignored is that I to am seeking an accommodation with Drow, I simply want different assurances than they do. I will not have "normal" relations with the Lolthite lead Drow until I have secured an amnesty for Ellistaeens. As it stands now our "leaders" were content to abandon these people to torment, torture and murder because they are Drow. I will not. So of course my irrational hatred of Drow really does not hold up to objective scrutiny. My Drow friend Valek will tell you as much. Or perhaps some of my half Drow friends?

This is of course childish nonsense. It is character assassination out of a feeling of being undermined. Now I am hearing Beatrice is openly discussing having me exiled by informing the Garda the Academy is a dangerous "Militia" that is a threat to Barovian safety. If it is true it breaks my heart.
As a servant of the Marquessa I am compelled to serve those she serves. It is therefor not possible for me to plot against Barovia or it's sovereign.
This is a concerning level of depravity and unthinkable behavior for anyone wishing to be seen as a leader. I pray I am wrong but multiple sources suggest this is the state of things.

I do intend to present myself to the Garda, inform them of my school and present them with a roster of students and instructors, just in case people try to misrepresent me. However I am not very concerned, they have known me for years and should have a sense of how I conduct myself.

It might be time though for those who wish to have a common voice to choose a leader or council to represent them. I can no longer grant this self appointed group credibility. If our kin decides it wants such a person or group I will do my best to work with them as allies. In the coming days I should like to hear from my kin who care about such things. Though I do not claim the title of Warden any longer, nor do I desire to lead, I feel I have the credibility to hold an election, but only if that is what our people desire.

If I should be exiled in coming days I hope those that know me will step forward and speak on my behalf. Should I hear a desire from our kin for new leadership I will announce something.

Mishandra, Warrior of Vandria
Former Warden of Degannwy
Celynna of Elevashe-inactive
Daly'rae of Zau'duis
Erika Tinescu-inactive