Author Topic: relationship between RP and action server  (Read 2952 times)

Maffa

• Dark Power
Re: relationship between RP and action server
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 10:13:52 AM »
In general, balancing a server that sees at most 10 people on the whole 24h in a weekend day with the same parameters of one that has at least 50 people at any given time is not great...

Easily mobs that don't give any more XP can still kill you for a long time, easily three levels more since they stop giving you any XP. Now, in a server that emphasizes grouping, and player scarcity is not a problem, this s a non issue, but when you are the one player in the whole server for hours to end this is an issue because you either persistently take risks even only for moving from one area to another (and plea your friends to come and take you to res and wait for days because that's what it takes for them to log in) or you simply keep on going in the same three dungeons crypts/small creatures/kobolds in the outskirts for months and months.

I have no idea if balancing XP and CR on action differently than RP is feasible, but if it were it would be great if there were no cap/limiter whatsoever. I mean, we are there for the action, that's our reward. And we cannot count on a group to face otherwise feasible mobs all the time. We are solo players for the most part, and we play in groups to tackle the big bad dungeon (sailors ,alhoun, lich tower, terg, ants, you name it). When i started as a mage i couldnt have any spell beyond 1st level except the ones at level change because that's what you get as a drop around Vallaki, and because i didnt know nor i could go all the way up to the Balinoks EDIT: Batarak all by myself. I had to hit level 4 or 5 before Janarah has been kind enough to take me all the way there.

EDIT: on this note, I would like to suggest to add a voice in the journal for every new mage being created that tells you the whereabouts of spell merchants, and why not the location of laboratories for crafting for everyone at least in the vallaki area. Let's face it, there is no one to ask to most of the time on the server, let's just ease the grind.

Being able to face monsters in a easier way (i.e with a CR compatible with your level) promotes exploration and eases the frustration of being conscripted in the same areas outskirts-vistani-vallaki in daylight.

This is my .02€
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:18:58 AM by Maffa »

Character List:

Marph - Closured
Marius Rucescu - Closured
Romeo Lascaris - Closured

Janarah

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »
It seems that the spawning issues have cleared up. I'm apologize that I could not figure out what might have been causing them. My only theory is that it had to possibly do with changing the minutes to hours and caused some error with the spawning. Still, it all seems to be working fine now.
"Life is full of mysteries, why can I not be one myself?"
~Nightwolf
Current: Rabbit/ Kalis
Shelved mostly: Sudhri / Atlantia / Radriel/ Herophile Sybil/ Lliannia/ Belia
Closured (dead or other): Marius/ Calous/ Ellana/ Radu/ Ania/ Anica/ Olath

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »
It seems that the spawning issues have cleared up. I'm apologize that I could not figure out what might have been causing them. My only theory is that it had to possibly do with changing the minutes to hours and caused some error with the spawning. Still, it all seems to be working fine now.

You don't have access to the scripts or module, so the likelihood of you figuring it out was extremely low. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them, but I'm not sure what you mean by "changing the minutes to hours."
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Janarah

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »

You don't have access to the scripts or module, so the likelihood of you figuring it out was extremely low. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them, but I'm not sure what you mean by "changing the minutes to hours."

You are correct; however, having worked with ness and seen it in action and it's various quirks and even modified it from the original to include months in it's coding I am aware that when you change the timing in the server options/settings tab in a module then ness can actually have some quirks about not working until you adjust some of its numerous scripts to adjust for the change in timing. It is not difficult to make an educated guess when having worked with coding that seems to do the same thing as what is demonstrated on the server itself in multiple areas in regards to spawns appearing in areas. Of course this is not the case for the whole module/server, as there are quite a few areas which seem to go off of triggers. I'm not overly certain why anyone would believe that figuring out bugs would be an extremely low possibility if they have a modicum of experience working with a variety of systems. Ie, like ax murderers kds, which bears striking similarities to the one used in potm; however, heavily modified. 
But I digress, there is a timing script with ness, which has to line up with the timing on the server settings, otherwise when using the spawn way point system things can sometimes not spawn at all. I noted this to be more prevalent with creatures than with placeable spawns using the system for some reason, perhaps because it defaults to days instead of hours in some cases. For example, if the server settings say that there are 3 minutes to an hour in game, then the timing scripts for ness would have to align with that same timing. I'm uncertain if I can explain it any better, maybe with images or a video.

Through observation, when I began playing on action, I noticed that the timing per hour initially seemed to be three minutes, thus reducing time between rests, reducing the wait between spawn increase, and so forth. However, after an update the timing went back to six minutes per hour. On the initial increase, certain areas were not spawning mobs or treasure, perf, sithicus, har'akir, hazlan, and so forth. After the update these areas began to spawn once more. Granted that I have not seen the scripts being used with in the server itself, but deduction does point to certain things unless some other fix was applied?
"Life is full of mysteries, why can I not be one myself?"
~Nightwolf
Current: Rabbit/ Kalis
Shelved mostly: Sudhri / Atlantia / Radriel/ Herophile Sybil/ Lliannia/ Belia
Closured (dead or other): Marius/ Calous/ Ellana/ Radu/ Ania/ Anica/ Olath