Author Topic: Description saving & slots to swap descriptions  (Read 481 times)

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Description saving & slots to swap descriptions
« on: July 05, 2020, 04:41:54 AM »
It'd be pretty cool if we could save our character's description to numbered slots and swap it on the fly, for different clothing, in the case of characters who change between many outfits and like having those outfits described via examine, rather than just leaving them as WYSIWYG.

Would everyone use it? Maybe not. A lot of people don't have a description for their character at all. I'm sure it's been suggested before, too, but I thought I'd check in. It might inspire more people to put a description for their character knowing they have more options than set and forget or saving them as macros/copypasting them, when the server could potentially do it for them.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Description saving & slots to swap descriptions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 07:32:42 AM »
Such a system would have to automatically account for and switch between disguises, polymorphed disguises, and any other subsequent systems we might choose to add that affect the description. It’s quite possible, but also quite complicated, so it won’t be high on our priority list.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 07:52:46 AM »
I figured that a disguise would plug right into this pretty well, since disguise slots work in a similar way. In any case, that's a shame, but the copy and paste method is fine too.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 08:11:12 AM »
It’s a series of switches based on variables set on the player’s data object. The more different switches there are, the more possible combinations: the more combinations, the more careful I have to be to keep track of all of them. Like I said, totally doable but not high priority.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 08:27:02 AM »
Understandable, we have alternatives for now at least. Thanks for the fast reply.  :mrgreen: