Author Topic: Enhancing Darkness domain  (Read 644 times)

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
Enhancing Darkness domain
« on: June 22, 2020, 01:04:32 PM »
These are just some suggestions to enhance the Darkness domain as I notice it feels like its lacking or missing emphasis on Darkness.

First - Summons from the Darkness domain tend to have the shadow descriptor much like the Shadow Conjuration spell. I wonder if there was a script to add this to all summons of this domain to better enhance and stylize it.

Second - For Clerics there are access to Light spells. However with the Darkness domain you would figure there was access to more Darkness/Shadow spells. Perhaps adding some of the new Shadow Spells to this domain in place of light spells. For Example the domain recieves Shadow Conjuration, Slashing Darkness, Darkness, and Daming Darkness. But, you would believe it would alao aquire Cone of Dimness in place of Frost Breath, Shadoe Bind instead of Shackle, Shadow Mantle, and Shade instead of Radiant Assault.

These are just suggestions.  I been reading up on Clerics who use the shadow domain and thought this may enhance or better define the role of those who use the Shadow Weave or Darkness profile in other worlds. Food for thought.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
Re: Enhancing Darkness domain
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 05:21:49 PM »
Reading through it, the domain spells aren't the most exciting, but getting blind fight for free isn't something to scoff at either.
Curious if any Devs think it worth tuning.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 07:00:15 PM »
True Blind fight is a nice bonus. But, given nwn allows us to use light descriptor prayers is a bonus too but doesn't  quite fit the domain in a roleplay. You could op out from using these spells but shadow variants feel more intune to the domain if not to potms altering effects lol. I have to reread it but most Shadow Weave and Darkness domain characters technically lose the ability to use light descriptor spells/prayers and generally use shadow variants of spells/prayers or something that replaces it. I figure it be an interesting suggestion see about getting some opinions into this.

Yesper

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 05:19:24 AM »
I would say that the darkness domain is in a pretty good spot, to be honest. The spells it gives access to are pretty strong, not to mention the free feat. If anything is added to the domain, something would need to go. At that point, it's a question of what would make the most sense to get rid of.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »
I suppose. Its in a descent spot the Darkness domain. The spells I'm not certain as strong but are versatile in utility depending on the circumstances. On PVE think the most beneficial is Shadow Conjuration. As for things to go I suggested replacing some of the light descriptor spells with some of the shadow spells as it would make more sense. Its good to get some input are there prayers/spells you think are morr suited?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 05:56:54 PM »
You can’t replace base cleric spells for a single domain.