Author Topic: People being able to play as their zombies after being raised as one  (Read 858 times)

firelord111

• Undead Slayer
long time ago i had one of my characters killed by a vampire i was very excited when they were going to raise him as undead but very dissapointed when i found out i cant emote or control the zombie .
I would like if possible letting the zombified pcs to play as their zombies if the necromancer allows it. It would be same as raise dead resurrection but with massive debuffs and being undead.
This would make it easier for necromancer since they dont have to control the summon and the player doesnt get bored.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Re: People being able to play as their zombies after being raised as one
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 07:40:36 AM »
The reason these are not playable is because the Zombie status they are in is like they do not actually have control. they are no longer themselves, but reanimated corpses. Anything beyond that falls into the monstrous player realm and should require an app.

When this happened to me, i didn't get bored. I marched my ghost butt over to watch the necromancer use me as a servant to attack innocent people and ate popcorn while enjoying the show.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

firelord111

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 07:47:56 AM »
I think it is great at hands of a responsible player if they do act as a mindless zombie and not talk like how they are spirit it is going to be much better fight and rp with the necromancer because nwn ai is not very good at following orders but a player is better. i want this as more of an optional thing not a required that player plays as zombie and mostly a tool that an mpc would use most of the time to make their life easier

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 08:10:28 AM »
I think it is great at hands of a responsible player if they do act as a mindless zombie and not talk like how they are spirit it is going to be much better fight and rp with the necromancer because nwn ai is not very good at following orders but a player is better. i want this as more of an optional thing not a required that player plays as zombie and mostly a tool that an mpc would use most of the time to make their life easier

They aren't supposed to talk as spirits. If they do they are breaking the rules. Spirits are only able to act out their final acts or kind of haunt passively. And "great in the hands of a reasonable player" is why we have applications for such things. But as I said, the moment the necromancer raises them, their zombies are a thing, not them. It is a reanimation void of their soul. So players can't play their own zombies. the AI is tricky but not impossible to master. Having Zombies be playable would cheapen the AMPC/MPC process and leaves too much room for exploits and cheesy rp.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
Zombies are mindless undead. Only mindless people may play them.

Kinga

• 🎀𝐸𝓁𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢𝑜𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓈🎀
  • Undead Master
  • 𝐵𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓎 𝒟𝑜 𝒞𝓇𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 10:16:06 AM »

Zombies are mindless puppets in hands of their master. They have no will of their own and thus cannot make choices for themselves. To play one, you'd need a higher power to give you orders, or just wander aimlessly to consume flesh. Neither sounds fun.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:58:23 AM »
The flesh is yours, but your spirit is still roaming The Zombie is not you. It's just a flesh puppet. You are the spirit that roams in death.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »
We aren't going to do this.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
We aren't going to do this.

Indeed, as pointed out by others, zombies are mindless undead, so they have absolutely no control over their actions, at least the type of zombie spawned from a failed ressurection or a basic animate dead spell.

And, on a more general note, and it's a design choice we made, monstrous characters of any nature, are application-gated.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:06:41 PM by EO »

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 01:06:23 PM »

Zombies are mindless puppets in hands of their master. They have no will of their own and thus cannot make choices for themselves. To play one, you'd need a higher power to give you orders, or just wander aimlessly to consume flesh. Neither sounds fun.

Zombies in D&D do not consume flesh, in fact I don't think any undead consume flesh in D&D.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 01:22:18 PM »
Who gave Zombie lore? Dang...they need to watch more Zombie moves....its BRAAAAAAAAINS!!! lol

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 01:36:51 PM »
Ghouls and ghasts are up there on the flesh consumation list.

Zombie may not be on the list of being playable after animation but all those animate dead, create undead and create greater undead spells have creatures that happen to be on the MPC/AMPC template... the necromancer can perform the appropriate ritual, bury you in the ground for whatever reason (recovery, saving the servant for later etc) while you make an app to play a more interesting undead.