Author Topic: Quality of Life Changes  (Read 2871 times)

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Quality of Life Changes
« on: June 07, 2020, 10:01:33 AM »
Greetings,

I wanted to let you know that we'll be making the following changes in the next version of the module:

-Traps: Player-set traps (crafted or regular) will only fire if the target is set to hostile, so they will no longer accidentally kill random bypassers. If the player who set the trap is offline, they won't fire at all.

-Appearance Mirrors and Relevel Crystals will be added to the OOC Lounge. The mirrors are the same as the ones from the New Character Area; however, any changes made with them are considered OOC. They can't be used to reflect or affect in-character events, ie: being sick, cursed, disguised, etc.

-Dyeing Dummies will be added to the game world; for now they'll only be in Emmanuelle's Fashion in Port-à-Lucine and the Tailor in Krezk but most likely in the next update we'll add them to more locations, including one or two for underworld characters. Dye color restrictions will apply based on location but minimally mirror, pure black and pure white dyes won't be available.

Hopefully these should make gameplay smoother and make people more independant.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:44:32 AM by EO »

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
Re: Quality of Life Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 10:59:09 AM »
Bless.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
BIG YES.

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 11:55:38 AM »
While doing the bit for the Tailor in Krezk, would it be possible to also address the terrible yellow lighting in there? Makes it really difficult to see what the colors will look like normally, and investing in a scholar's ring just to have a decent light source for dye-ing clothes isn't fun :-(

10/10 on these changes!

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »
@EO, with the changes to traps, does this mean players will not have to @server hostile when they wish to set traps?

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
@EO, with the changes to traps, does this mean players will not have to @server hostile when they wish to set traps?

Correct. Traps follow PvP rules so you can only use them against players who opted in the PvP with you through IC actions, which most likely isn't the entire server. You would thus only hostile the people that the traps actually target. It's already against the rules to just place traps randomly to kill random people.

edit: corrected response
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:27:50 PM by EO »

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »
I think most people have the understanding of traps meaning, you need to hostile anyone that could possibly set them off, in order to be in compliance with pvp rules, which has resulted in people hostiling the entire server, because theoretically any player could stumble across them.  Which is a chore at times, when you are using them for pve reasons.

I assume ZSRunner is asking for clarification that this change to traps will mean trappers will not have to hostile the entire server in the off chance a player steps on the trap, as the trap will now no longer trigger when people step on the trap unless they are hostiled.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:29:24 PM by Kaninchen »

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 12:26:28 PM »
I think most people have the understanding of traps meaning, you need to hostile anyone that could possibly set them off, in order to be in compliance with pvp rules, which has resulted in people hostiling the entire server, because theoretically any player could stumble across them.  Which is a chore at times, when you are using them for pve reasons.

I assume ZSRunner is asking for clarification that this change to traps will mean trappers will not have to hostile the entire server in the off chance a player steps on the trap, as the trap will now no longer trigger when people step on the trap.

Correct!
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Chabxxu

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 12:27:52 PM »
I like the change to traps, but there is something I'm wary about. Someone could walk into a corridor and not trigger the trap, while the person behind them that is set to hostile would trigger it. It could make some very weird interactions...

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 12:29:00 PM »

I assume ZSRunner is asking for clarification that this change to traps will mean trappers will not have to hostile the entire server in the off chance a player steps on the trap, as the trap will now no longer trigger when people step on the trap.

Yes, this was what I was hoping for clarification on.  Currently I have been setting the server to hostile in order to use traps in PvE, per the server rules as I understand them.  I believe this was because friendlies can incidentally step on them resulting in unintended PvP.  I think the changes you've made EO should result in the traps only targetting your intended pvp target which would negate the need to @hostile server.  A good thing IMO

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »
Does this change to traps mean that a character can no longer place them down to guard private conversations?  Or in this case do you still simply Hostile the entire server?

Blocking off a corner of a room with traps doesn't seem to be the same as spamming Curse Song or Caltrops to detect people in stealth but maybe some clarification would be good.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »
I like the change to traps, but there is something I'm wary about. Someone could walk into a corridor and not trigger the trap, while the person behind them that is set to hostile would trigger it. It could make some very weird interactions...

We considered that; it's a fringe scenario really but indeed possible, though the person could detect the trap using search.

Does this change to traps mean that a character can no longer place them down to guard private conversations?  Or in this case do you still simply Hostile the entire server?

Up to you, though technically this still counts as PvP, so it'd need to meet all the general criteria's.

Derek Jeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 04:12:55 PM »
Good change for DMs and players.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 06:07:01 AM »

Blocking off a corner of a room with traps doesn't seem to be the same as spamming Curse Song or Caltrops to detect people in stealth but maybe some clarification would be good.

Would it be an option to make an alarm trap that everyone  trigges but doesnt do damage?

Building out off the mists

Hathor

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 06:38:45 AM »

Would it be an option to make an alarm trap that everyone  trigges but doesnt do damage?

There is a spell and item that does this.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 08:51:33 AM »

There is a spell and item that does this.

Having a trap that does this wouldn't be such a bad idea though, sure mage can cast the Alarm spell, but a rogue for example, could make some sort of trap, that makes sounds when someone trigger it, it would have to notify everyone in the area obviously in this context. I'm not entirely sure if its worth making, but it could interesting for sure.

That's a discussion to have in an other thread though.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 11:22:10 PM »

Up to you, though technically this still counts as PvP, so it'd need to meet all the general criteria's.

Does this mean you cannot use traps to secure a location against intruder PCs?

Eg. a secret meeting in an abandoned building.

The trap is used to catch /any/ intruder, but it is impossible to know if someone is intentionally intruding or simply stumbling across something.

If so, does this mean the use of any ability indiscriminately against an unknown PC is also out?

Eg. utilising wail of the banshee on an area to kill any possible intruders.

Obviously any save rolls would be OOC in such an instance, but it is still a PvP act and I would like clarification on whether intruding on a conversation in secret constitutes buy in.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 11:28:36 PM »
Obviously any save rolls would be OOC in such an instance, but it is still a PvP act and I would like clarification on whether intruding on a conversation in secret constitutes buyopting in.

I would as well--at least for *willful* intrusion. Brimstone in Discord recently seemed to indicate it was.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:30:40 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 11:37:31 PM »
Hey, just a gentle request to not edit my own words in future!

It's a little, you know, passive aggressive.

But yes, I'd like formal clarity.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 11:54:44 PM »
Not meant as passive aggressive :)

I wanted to use the word DMs use since both of us are seeking explicit clarification.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 12:42:45 AM »

I wanted to use the word DMs use since both of us are seeking explicit clarification.

Regardless of the context, it’s usually strange to quote someone and change their words.  Kind of defeats the point of calling it a quote, doesn’t it?   8)

Also if we’re breaking this down to differentiate between “willful intrusion” and otherwise, then what constitutes willful intrusion?  And how do you know that the PC intruding understood the gravity of what they were doing/who they were dealing with?  If I stealth into a room and then realize I’m in a top secret meeting, can I voluntarily leave upon being confronted as a way to opt-scape-out? (To use the scientific term)

don't hate me I'm smARD

• Society of the Erudite
  • New to the Mists
  • Я роняю запад.
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 12:53:57 AM »
Maybe the stealther should take responsibility of his 'stealthiness' because ....really guys, who enters in stealth involuntarily ?

Also , being in a wrong place in a wrong time is a situation that can always happen. Each of our characters were in this position, and i think this can bring each of our chars to new ways of RP and progression ( interrogation, forced inclusion into the gang etc.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:17:42 AM by Th'rar »
Th'rar
Lathalin Falvanti

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 12:56:30 AM »

Regardless of the context, it’s usually strange to quote someone and change their words.  Kind of defeats the point of calling it a quote, doesn’t it?   8)

The original is right above mine and easily readable. Moreover, I used over-strike to preserve Plato's words.

Let's not focus on the weeds but stick to the question, eh?

Also if we’re breaking this down to differentiate between “willful intrusion” and otherwise, then what constitutes willful intrusion?  And how do you know that the PC intruding understood the gravity of what they were doing/who they were dealing with?  If I stealth into a room and then realize I’m in a top secret meeting, can I voluntarily leave upon being confronted as a way to opt-scape-out? (To use the scientific term)

Generally, I would think listening in is willful. But the original question asked about traps. One can certainly walk across traps accidentally.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 01:03:55 AM »
Iridni, do not launch arguments and then immediately chide others for arguing, it’s debating in bad faith. Any further replies from anyone should be limited to the topic at hand.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 01:05:26 AM »
Iridni, do not launch arguments and then immediately chide others for arguing, it’s debating in bad faith. Any further replies from anyone should be limited to the topic at hand.

Please explain.

I have no idea what this means.