You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Step [Left/Right]  (Read 553 times)

Whistlefoot

• Undead Slayer
Step [Left/Right]
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:50:19 PM »
I noticed that if your in combat with enemies or in this instance (skeletons below the temple in the outskirts) that if you sidestep around a enemy (skeleton) sometimes your auto-attack while still being on will not allow you to attack, I do this when there is other players looking to get in melee range to attack and normally there is at least four or five in the area attacking. I would hold down [Q] and step from the front side of the enemy all the way to side, probably by-passing my actual swing then afterwards my character will not swing.

zDark Shadowz

Re: Step [Left/Right]
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:13:42 PM »
Using Q and E in combat needs to be timed if you plan to use it, and moving does interrupt your own combat flow.

Its useful to force a character movement that, generally, is more there so the combat doesn't appear static, but its all hardcoded NWN movements.

Depending on other factors enemies can push back or be pushed back when reach keeps getting recalculated between your weapon and theirs.

Attacks in a round are divided into three flurries at two second intervals within the one round of six seconds, so move during the time periods where you dont have an attack due by tapping Q or E once or twice and you should be good to keep moving without having your attacks interrupted.

More of a practice thing than any bug that can be fixed.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:19:55 AM »
This is also why archers only get one attack per round if they run too far, no matter how long they wait within that round; the game will not bunch several attacks up at the end of the cycle if you cross over that distance limit, it will just make you wait until the beginning of the new round and skip all of the attacks you missed.

It's just how DnD combat is structured in the rulebook, particularly 3.5e as far as I know. You only get a certain amount of movement per round. It's kind of a shame, and it doesn't translate very well to an action game, since it encourages finding a good place and then standing in one spot and just blendering enemies. Not very interesting or authentic, but it is what it is.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 02:29:50 PM »
Yeah, not a bug, just how NwN/DnD handles movement and combat.