You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Help for a noob module builder  (Read 1054 times)

noah25

• Dark Lord
Help for a noob module builder
« on: May 28, 2020, 12:08:53 AM »
Hey all, I am definitely no coding guru but I have been trying to build a module for a few friends to run adventures on and have been having some problems. Figured someone here would be able to help.

- How do I make the yellow narrative text appear when someone enters an area?

- How do I make monsters only spawn during specific times. Like werewolves only appearing at night etc.

- How do I create a cutscene like the ones that appear in the liches tower, barrows, etc.?

Figuring out most the basic stuff like trap triggers, scripting conversations, and transitions but these are some of the bigger problems I am having. Thanks in advance.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Help for a noob module builder
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 06:08:56 AM »
1. SendMessageToPC()

2. Write a spawn system? Ours has nothing to do with the default “place creatures in a module” setup of the toolset. Once you’ve got a system working to spawn whatever creatures you like, it’s trivial to check for the time of day.

3. There’s a large number of different scripting commands for cutscenes, but if you find it overwhelming, there’s the Gestalt Cutscene system—you can find it easily with Google.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:21:51 AM »
Also check the nwnvault website.  Lots of stuff there already made by other members of the community that can help, though I'd suggest crediting them if you do use their stuff.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:44:10 PM »
1. SendMessageToPC()

2. Write a spawn system? Ours has nothing to do with the default “place creatures in a module” setup of the toolset. Once you’ve got a system working to spawn whatever creatures you like, it’s trivial to check for the time of day.

3. There’s a large number of different scripting commands for cutscenes, but if you find it overwhelming, there’s the Gestalt Cutscene system—you can find it easily with Google.

Thank you some follow up questions.

The default example for SendMessageToPC specifies a specific player. Is there a way to specify it for the entire party as it enters the area or do I have to use GetPCNext?

I am not sure what you mean by write a spawn system. The module is currently intended to module a pnp campaign not a PW so all my monsters are currently painted in individually or as encounters.

Agony

• Dark Power
  • "You will know agony!" - Ghostly Armor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 08:58:43 AM »
I am not sure what you mean by write a spawn system. The module is currently intended to module a pnp campaign not a PW so all my monsters are currently painted in individually or as encounters.

If you want them to only show up at specific times, you would have to write custom scripts to spawn them in, not place them or use the custom encounter system.

I am far from an expert scripter, but I have taught myself a lot about NWN scripting. I would be happy to help you out with some things, if you want. fenixphire#8417

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 10:22:15 AM »
If you want it to trigger as someone enters an area, it goes either in the area OnEnter script or on a trigger on the ground.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »

If you want them to only show up at specific times, you would have to write custom scripts to spawn them in, not place them or use the custom encounter system.

I am far from an expert scripter, but I have taught myself a lot about NWN scripting. I would be happy to help you out with some things, if you want. fenixphire#8417

I really appreciate this and will definitely keep that in mind. I took an introductory coding course a few years back and its slowly coming back to me. I usually do alright once I figure out what functions I need to work with.