Author Topic: Freedom vs Evards Black Tentacle  (Read 1674 times)

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
Freedom vs Evards Black Tentacle
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:02:35 PM »
Can be confirmed by the player Arshtat was in Swampa north of Village of Barovia.

Scenario: Cleric with Freedom of Movement, immunity to paralysis, pass throughout Evards 5 Fort saves in 3 seconds, 1 fail, Immunity per description of Wiki Site clarifies Freedom renders you immune to paralysis. Evard causes paralysis. No special indication of spells differed. Character slain by spell.

Reinact: Fight Hag who casts Evards uae Freedom. Dont know if this is a fluke.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Chabxxu

Re: Freedom vs Evards Black Tentacle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »
Are you saying she still got paralyzed even with freedom? You will still take some damage from Evard Tentacules even if you have freedom of movement. It does not make you immune to it.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »
Evards still causes damage, the save is only vs the paralysis effect, which freedom (and even clarity) will keep you immune to (as the paralysis effect is a type of mind applied effect.)

Evards is a fun spell, up to half of the tentacles can hit you at any given time, and running through them to trigger more tentacles to hit you is pretty brutal.

If you want immunity to the damage, invest in bludgeoning resistance paired with a ghostly visage potion, or outright drink ethereal visage.

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
Just had a freak occurrence where I was stunned by a spell I shouldn't have been stunned by with clarity up.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

NacreCicatrix

• Dark Lord
  • loser
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Are you saying she still got paralyzed even with freedom? You will still take some damage from Evard Tentacules even if you have freedom of movement. It does not make you immune to it.

Yes, that is what he is saying. Damage is not the issue.
It is not an ending, but an ebbing.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 11:23:16 PM »
I'll ask someone to help me test this when I get home if something genuinely has changed from the norm (have someone with low enough fort and 10/- resistance to evards).

The hag can also be paired with a creature that casts greater dispelling, though. That can mess up folks's day.

Marcus Weyland

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 11:39:21 PM »
Tested with a player-cast Evard's with Freedom and DR. Damage was normal, paralysis was correctly absent.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 09:37:56 PM »
Ah thanks guys. And yes Marcus seems the immunity was absany tried on yhr test server with some one same area and then on with a pvp bout still got same result where Freedom does not grant immunity vs Evards paralysis. As a caution may have friend try other spells to see if its Freedom thats bugged.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:20:28 PM »
Found a bug of Freedom recently again another effect seems to have lost in it. Tested and seems while it is rendering you immune to movement speed reduction. Slow seems to work normal but speed reduction due to fatigue and being overburden does not work anymore. Im now curious if immunity to Entagle works properly anyone wiah to test this with me?

Yesper

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »
Found a bug of Freedom recently again another effect seems to have lost in it. Tested and seems while it is rendering you immune to movement speed reduction. Slow seems to work normal but speed reduction due to fatigue and being overburden does not work anymore. Im now curious if immunity to Entagle works properly anyone wiah to test this with me?

That's not a bug. Freedom of movement literally renders the character immune to slow effects.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »

That's not a bug. Freedom of movement literally renders the character immune to slow effects.

I'm aware of that but it also use to render being overburden nulled allowing people with mass loads to run as normal. This was a boon to crafters or when you were in a party that was nearly annihalated to drag several corpses back to a temple. Some one has explained already the Fatigue issue to me but this effect seems also missing less it was changed.

Yesper

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 12:57:42 PM »

I'm aware of that but it also use to render being overburden nulled allowing people with mass loads to run as normal. This was a boon to crafters or when you were in a party that was nearly annihalated to drag several corpses back to a temple. Some one has explained already the Fatigue issue to me but this effect seems also missing less it was changed.

Again, not a bug. Moving around with a heavy load applies a slow effect just as being exhausted does, which is why FoM works in that manner. Of note, the character will not run but be able to move at a walking pace.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 05:58:47 PM »
Is there a bug here?

Yesper

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 11:45:15 PM »
Is there a bug here?

The bug in OP is that occasionally paralysis on a failed fort save will go through even with Freedom of Movement active.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »

Again, not a bug. Moving around with a heavy load applies a slow effect just as being exhausted does, which is why FoM works in that manner. Of note, the character will not run but be able to move at a walking pace.

Ah okay that explains a bit as I recall it use to Permit full movement long ago. But, its been some time aince I used FoM. This is good information for those whom use the spell or new to its application thank you. And yes there ia a bug here if read up to the OP.