You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wizard's travelling spellbook.  (Read 1497 times)

Derek Jeter

• Undead Slayer
Wizard's travelling spellbook.
« on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:47 AM »
Please consider making this an offhand accessory like the practice baton, and not a weapon. :)
It would do nothing but be neat to see  low/mid level wizzies holding it while having a sword in the main hand so you could be a bit more like gandalf. Is this LOTR? No. But it is a small little neat flavor change that should be simple for you guys. And it wont kill balance.

vvolatile

• New to the Mists
Re: Wizard's travelling spellbook.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 02:01:16 AM »
+1 for rule of cool at no cost to anyone

Crowl

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 02:37:39 AM »
+1 for rule of cool at no cost to anyone

This
Playing: Maeldwen Erynaedh/Irach

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 02:55:47 AM »
This may screw up the animation though, right? It would be cool, but if only there was just a "closed book" model for offhand.

Or you could just put your sword in the off-hand with your book. I'm not sure if it lets you do that but I guess not every character is a leftie.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Hathor

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 03:14:34 AM »
+1

I'm sure if it's an issue the devs will say so.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 03:42:11 AM »
Practice batons are reskinned torches. The Accessories item is based off a weapon template.
So it's easier said than done. And not likely to get done, ever, unless anyone is passionate about it enough to model and animate a left-hand torch/book.

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 05:48:28 AM »
Cosmic Ray has highlighted the biggest issue with this, but it also doesn't make any sense in D&D to walk into a fight with your spell book in hand, because spell casters memories spells from spell books during a rest, and it takes many hours to do lol, they don't read from them on the fly to cast spells, it's not like pulling a trigger to shoot from a gun, they are also incredibly valuable for Wizards, and the thought of carrying them around would be horrifying, in case they got damaged or stolen. I'm not familiar with any setting in D&D where this makes sense, I know there are spell books that give characters bonuses for holding them, I don't really think this should be a thing, and they make me uneasy.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 06:24:34 AM »
Cosmic Ray has highlighted the biggest issue with this, but it also doesn't make any sense in D&D to walk into a fight with your spell book in hand, because spell casters memories spells from spell books during a rest, and it takes many hours to do lol, they don't read from them on the fly to cast spells, it's not like pulling a trigger to shoot from a gun, they are also incredibly valuable for Wizards, and the thought of carrying them around would be horrifying, in case they got damaged or stolen. I'm not familiar with any setting in D&D where this makes sense, I know there are spell books that give characters bonuses for holding them, I don't really think this should be a thing, and they make me uneasy.

A good example of this is Merlin from the Sword in the stone, he is for sure a Wizard, very rare do you ever see him anywhere NEAR a book, let alone carrying one (though you can bet he has one somewhere). Never does he pull it out to review a spell, though he does use a wand as a focal for his magic.

Kinga

• 🎀𝐸𝓁𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢𝑜𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓈🎀
  • The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • 𝐵𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓎 𝒟𝑜 𝒞𝓇𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 07:00:33 AM »

A good example of this is Merlin from the Sword in the stone, he is for sure a Wizard, very rare do you ever see him anywhere NEAR a book, let alone carrying one (though you can bet he has one somewhere). Never does he pull it out to review a spell, though he does use a wand as a focal for his magic.

Yes, but we are using D&D as our setting to play, not a 1963 Disney movie. There are rules specified in the lore that casters have to obey. Spell focus, such as a wand, is not the same as an arcanabula or grimoire
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:03:51 AM by Kinga »

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 07:41:23 AM »

Yes, but we are using D&D as our setting to play, not a 1963 Disney movie. There are rules specified in the lore that casters have to obey. Spell focus, such as a wand, is not the same as an arcanabula or grimoire

Oh I don't think that's such a bad example for Destinysdesire to use, it illustrates the point that Wizards are learned individuals, and that they cast spells from studious preparation, not on the flay casting.

Marcus Weyland

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »
I wouldn't expect the Travelling Spellbook to be mistaken for a wizard's actual arcanabulum. Besides, it's no more unfeasible to have it in your offhand while fighting than it is to have it open in your main hand 24/7.

I'd like to see more options for the Travelling Spellbook, as it is an extremely specific accessory to have such basic and useful stats. Personally I wish we had staves that did something similar.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 10:22:22 AM »
Practice batons are reskinned torches. The Accessories item is based off a weapon template.
So it's easier said than done. And not likely to get done, ever, unless anyone is passionate about it enough to model and animate a left-hand torch/book.

This.

Delita

• Outlander
  • I once bit a horse
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
I wouldn't expect the Travelling Spellbook to be mistaken for a wizard's actual arcanabulum. Besides, it's no more unfeasible to have it in your offhand while fighting than it is to have it open in your main hand 24/7.

I'd like to see more options for the Travelling Spellbook, as it is an extremely specific accessory to have such basic and useful stats. Personally I wish we had staves that did something similar.

This I agree.

A wizards are their magical staves are almost inseparable concepts. I am only using that travelling speellbook because it has nice bonus to use as a caster and I never liked the view of an open book. If there was an item that gives the same bonus, instead of a book, I would definitely choose it, over the book. Purely by cosmetic reasons.

Derek Jeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »
Yeah, what about a nice practice baton travelling spellbook that is a nice mages staff? I think this is perfect as there are very few mages around using staves or staves that are popular.

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 05:43:06 AM »
Yeah, what about a nice practice baton travelling spellbook that is a nice mages staff? I think this is perfect as there are very few mages around using staves or staves that are popular.

I don't know what your trying to suggest with this lol, however if you want to suggest items, there is a thread in which you can do so, but you will need to load up a version of the PoTM Mod in your toolset, so you can first create the item and then post it with its description, appearance, and item properties. If the DEV team think it would be a nice addition, they will include it in the module somewhere and somehow.

This I agree.

A wizards are their magical staves are almost inseparable concepts. I am only using that travelling speellbook because it has nice bonus to use as a caster and I never liked the view of an open book. If there was an item that gives the same bonus, instead of a book, I would definitely choose it, over the book. Purely by cosmetic reasons.

Take a look at the item request, and item request discussion thread. I submitted a low level Wizard, Sorcerer, and Druid staff.