You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: [A letter published by House Vaillant]  (Read 1045 times)

Space Cowboy

• Church of Ezra Inquisition
  • Undead Master
  • some people call me Maurice
[A letter published by House Vaillant]
« on: May 22, 2020, 05:32:45 PM »
[An official looking document is found published and sent to various sources, and displayed on notice boards throughout the city of Lights.]

It is with regret that I feel the need to publish this letter, on behalf of House Vaillant.

After the tragic and unfortunate passing of my brother, the former Baron de Duchbourg Antoine Vaillant, the gendarme were very quick and immediate to lend me their aid. My brother was discovered in a den of sin and debauchery, having partaken of foul substances and and engaged in disrepute with numerous women. House Vaillant does not condone this, and my brother has long been a source of deep shame for my family and I despite our attempts to rectify his reckless and poor behaviour. Due to the rather tragic circumstances, sargeant Alix Martineau of the gendarmerie offered a promise to me that these disreputable circumstances would be handled with care and discretion for the benefit of everyone, an offer I gladly accepted under the understanding that she was being thoughtful under such tragic circumstances.

It appears it was not to be, as such information was later used in an attempt by madame de la Rochenoire-Tremblay to blackmail me and my family. I find these acts particularly grevious in light of our recent mourning. In return for her silence, she quite selfishly desired my support for titles for herself after the war.

A mere few days later the Sargeant Martineau invited me to a private conversation where she admitted madame de la Rochenoire-Tremblay confessed the blackmail to her. The sergeant begged me to not take action against madame de la Rochenoire-Tremblay. She offered me favours so I would not prosecute, and that she would be indebted to me in her position of being a sergeant. I refused to succumb to these attempts of bribery. I did not desire to contribute to the corruption of the gendarme.

The truth is that Sargeant Martineau and madame de la Rochenoire-Tremblay enjoy a very close relationship by their own admission. They are having an affair behind the back of the poor commander de la Rochenoire, and indeed, have flaunted marriage in the face of Ezra by secretly marrying each other under the auspice of foreign gods before the marriage arranged by their poor, deceived families could even take place. They have their own wedding rings purchased from monsieur Giles Larouche.

I wish to see both Sargent Martineau and madame de la Rochenoire-Tremblay investigated and punished suitably for their corruption, lies and blatant disrespect of responsibility and duty. I pity their families who have been brought into such shame by their actions.

- Grégoire Vaillant, le Baron de Duchbourg.

Space Cowboy

• Undead Master
Re: [A letter published by House Vaillant]
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 12:05:27 PM »
[An open letter made public by the estate of the Baron de Duchbourg.]

Baron de Charbonne,

I believe an explanation is owed for the unseeming actions of your daughter, the newly titled Baroness de Rosacier. I have accepted this woman into my house in good faith under the bonding auspices of marriage. I have watched over her as per your personal request, and treated her as if she was my very own daughter. It appears now that she has betrayed both my trust and the heart of my youngest son. This is an insult that cannot be forgiven, and the Baroness has shown quickly that she is undeserving of the honourable title bestowed upon her.

Marriage is a sacred tradition that holds our republic together. It is the foundation of family and traditional Dementlieuse values, and these actions are a betrayal against House Vaillant that will not be forgotten. Yet this is not the first instance of your house’s flaunting of tradition and noble expectation, as evidenced by the self serving behaviour of Baron de Mousett and his likewise disrespect for the sacred bond of marriage, who chose to demean the responsibility of his position by marrying a commoner.  It has become clear that tradition, responsibility and the importance of duty matters little to those of your blood.

Let it be known neither I nor my son Alexandre Vaillant permit to an annulment, and I shall be hiring lawyers to resolve this matter in court. Furthermore, consider the arrangement you had struck with my late departed brother to be null and void. I demand the funds and monetary value paid to you as part of that nuptial agreement be repaid to my estate in full.

Let this be a stain on the name of House de la Rochenoire and the newly named House de Rosacier.

Signed,
Gregoire Vaillant, Baron de Duchbourg.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:49:04 PM by Space Cowboy »

Space Cowboy

• Undead Master
Re: [A letter published by House Vaillant]
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 10:42:02 PM »
[A Public Rebuke Posted by Gregoire Vaillant, the Baron of Duchbourg]

Can there be any belief more insulting, than that of believing oneself to be above one's station? It is difficult to think of any notion more capable of causing offence. We are a humble and modest people, and to believe oneself to be greater than one's position, is an insult not only to the hard working and courageous people of this country, but to Ezra Herself.

It is with regret that I must publicly rebuke the action of my own son, Fleury Vaillant, the heir to my name, and the manipulative woman who seeks to further her own social rank, no matter the cost to those of us of proper breeding and etiquette. A woman who’s desire for validation extends not only to manipulating lonely young men to steal their titles and birthright, but a woman who seeks to validate her own existence by running for a seat upon the esteemed Council of Brilliance - just to inflate her own ego. The arrogance of this woman is truly breathtaking, for she believes she can stand shoulder to shoulder with those with whom she shares nothing in common.

How can we, of noble standing, stand by and allow this unchecked vanity spoil our republic? Lily-Rose has caused lasting and irreparable harm to my own family, leading to tragic consequences. My family have given their all to ensure the prosperity of this republic, including putting their lives on the line to do so. I would be remiss not to do the same.

I will never consider Lily-Rose my daughter in law. And I shall never consider her as a candidate for the Council of Brilliance. I call upon you, my esteemed and respected friends among the peerage, to do the same, and not allow this upstart to ruin the traditional values that we hold so dear. Is this the culture that we wish to endorse? Perhaps it shall be your own son or daughter taking inspiration from this unworthy candidate, illicitly marrying behind your back next.

Sieur Regnier Chaboteaux would never resort to such manipulative means to achieve the vote. He would not *steal* the title of a prominent noble family to give himself name recognition and validation. Unlike Lily-Rose, Sieur Regnier *respects* the Council of Brilliance and the value of tradition.

Lilly-Rose may claim the name of Vaillant, but she does not embody any of the traditions that House Vaillant holds dear. I would be remiss to stand by and watch her poison infecting more of our glorious republic.

Come the day of voting, I ask those of you who respect tradition, decency, and honesty, to consider the motto of House Vaillant: Do your duty, come what may.

Signed,

Gregoire Vaillant, the Baron of Duchbourg.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 11:00:14 PM by Space Cowboy »