You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Druid Animal Faction Issue?  (Read 1059 times)

MoonCrower

• Outlander
Druid Animal Faction Issue?
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:25:07 PM »
My druid entered the South Forest in Vallaki to find a hostile brown bear which is the first time I have seen this. Is this a possible oops in the faction?

Circumstances that lead up to this screen capture:
1. Bear was chasing someone else.
2. It was hostile and turned on my druid.
3. Dominated it and walked away before releasing it so I could screen capture.

There was no initiation of hostility between my druid and the bear that would have lead to this.  :confused:

Active Characters:
Inan De'Rethke
Atrayix
Pierce d'Leroux
Sarkith Darskard
Envel'Wyld Tar'Talon

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
Re: Druid Animal Faction Issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 05:29:52 PM »
I suspect it's related to a bug where NPCs will appear hostile if you log in and out without fully closing the game. If you see that I'd recommend restarting NWN.

MoonCrower

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »
Update:

Many of the animals are actually hostile. I noticed snakes and badgers are as well, but the dreaded weasels are not. I don't get it. haha
Active Characters:
Inan De'Rethke
Atrayix
Pierce d'Leroux
Sarkith Darskard
Envel'Wyld Tar'Talon

MoonCrower

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »
I suspect it's related to a bug where NPCs will appear hostile if you log in and out without fully closing the game. If you see that I'd recommend restarting NWN.

I completely restarted NWN, but they are still hostile.
Active Characters:
Inan De'Rethke
Atrayix
Pierce d'Leroux
Sarkith Darskard
Envel'Wyld Tar'Talon

MoonCrower

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »
Just as another piece of information from last night. My druid was in the Silver Mines hunting dire crag cats when I encountered hostile dire bears and ancient dire bears. Now I wasn't certain as to whether they should be hostile or not, but he was forced to actually fight them as escape wasn't an option. I don't know if this has something to do with the issue or not.
Active Characters:
Inan De'Rethke
Atrayix
Pierce d'Leroux
Sarkith Darskard
Envel'Wyld Tar'Talon

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »
Do you have any ranks in animal empathy? As for the silver mines they should be hostile by default.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

MoonCrower

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 05:51:39 PM »
Do you have any ranks in animal empathy? As for the silver mines they should be hostile by default.

To answer your question, yes his animal empathy ranks are maxed out for his level, but also this is the first time this has happened since I first rolled him in 2011/2012.
Active Characters:
Inan De'Rethke
Atrayix
Pierce d'Leroux
Sarkith Darskard
Envel'Wyld Tar'Talon

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 07:31:36 PM »
The script for proximity hostility on a bear may make them hostile for everyone, instead of if they were attacked or had a friend attacked that would make them only hostile to the attacker.

Druids dont have an exempt faction for animals, but animal empathy is a temporary useful tool.

Those silver mine bears are always hostile, an example that some are by default.

SevenStormStyle

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 03:59:35 PM »
Something that may be related to this:

On the woods screen just before the marsh east of the VoB, engaging in combat as my druid PC with hostile weres has led to some strange behavior in neutral animals. Of two foxes that were close by enough to be attacked by/attack the weres themselves, one became hostile and aggressive to my pc, and the other attacked me while remaining in the neutral state. Since I was just using a melee weapon and no spells aside from wards, I don't think I could have possibly attacked them on accident to trigger the hostility.

It seems something about being in proximity to combat can possibly make animals act strangely toward even druids with max points in AE...?
Game Login: Catherine