You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Banks and OCR  (Read 782 times)

Maelithii

• Outlander
Banks and OCR
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:27:11 PM »
Hi folks,

Not sure if this was suggested before but I am not going to lie, I didn't really check either. TL;DR

My proposal is quite simple: Have an Underworld/Drain banker in Port A Lucine, similar to Barovia, somewhere but preferably sewer because of the OCR system.

The rationale: There's an XP (percentage?) penalty in Barovia after a certain level - I think its somewhere in the 12-15 range or so I am told and this apparently affects RP gains too, and it generally gives the impression that you shouldn't really be there OOC instead of just IC. I still go now and then for RP reasons as I am prepared to justify myself if questioned, but it'd be nice not to have to bank there for players who havent already had to commit to the Drain bank - or for those willing to move their bank for IC/OOC reasons: calliban, criminals, monstrous races etc.

Port like everywhere else has it's shady side, so having a bank only seems fair and will not break anyone's immersion, but it would increase player convenience, especially for the shady characters in Port.

Isenduril Mel'fesef: "We have nothing but time.."

Philos

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
Re: Banks and OCR
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »
I'm currently working on expanding the Port underworld and a bank for shady characters is planned. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:35:42 PM by Philos »

Hathor

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
+1!

Soulbourne

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
I'm currently working on expanding the Port underworld and a bank for shady characters is planned. Stay tuned.

This is awesome.

vvolatile

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »
Something else that gets me about the banking system... the fees. Banks want your money. They invest with it. It's how they stay in business. Why would fees be so high as to discourage banking?

Lightweaver

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »
Something else that gets me about the banking system... the fees. Banks want your money. They invest with it. It's how they stay in business. Why would fees be so high as to discourage banking?

This is a bit more of a modern perspective on banking than what would exist in the setting. There is no competition that would drive the best circumstances for the consumers and so you have banks charging a percentage for their services. Banks are supported by the local government and hold the funds with the promise that the coin will be kept secure and remain available for withdraw. There are no large insurance companies to back the loss of this coin, only the respective societies taking a loss on every robbery. It is why the banks are guarded by the Gendarmerie, or Garda, or operating in The Drain at such a margin that they can line the pockets of all their protectors.

They are providing a service and wish to profit from it. The alternative is not having your coin held for you, in which it is subject to many opportunities for loss in a period where lawlessness is quite common. The encouragement is paying a fraction to no longer have to worry the many ways in which the coin might be lost.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice ŕ la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 02:24:54 PM »

OOCly the reason is the server needs ways of bleeding money out of the world. By the time PCs need to bank it, they have a surplus, so this is a good way to drain money from those who can afford it the most.

ICly, banking is not like the world we're used to. It's not a number in a bank account, but physical gold you're asking be stored and protected. That money isn't really invested by the bank, or they wouldn't have it on hand when you show up to ask for it.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Water Lily

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 03:33:16 PM »
Please refrain from referencing PvP/conflict issues you might have on the forums. If you have an issue, you're always more than welcome to speak to a DM and they'll help you out/get it sorted. Calling out players isn't a very nice thing to do, nor does it solve whatever problem you might be having. Even as a joke, it's in poor taste so please keep this in mind. Let's all be civil to each other.

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 04:03:26 PM »
Yeah, we don't really have merchant houses to act as the precursors of investment banks.
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."