Author Topic: Let the PC choose which summon to call from Create-Undead/Create-Greater-Undead  (Read 798 times)

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Create Undead (POTM), and Create Greater Undead (POTM) are both spells for which the monster summoned changes as the PC's level increases. They are also both spells, where there is some debate about whether the summons actually get stronger or weaker as you level up.

I propose that we allow the PC to choose which summon to conjure, from those that they have qualified for. So for example a level twenty would have a radial menu where they could choose from all of the available summons. A lower level character would have a radial menu where the could select from only the summons they had unlocked; for example the the higher level summons either wouldn't appear in the radial wheel, or would appear in a way that was not selectable. (Or any other solutions devs could think of).

The freedom to choose which summon to use, would greatly enhance the game-play of necromancers. As these are the go-to spells at mid->late levels.

Create Undead:
Level Range     Type      Challenge Rating
Level 10Ghoul6
Level 11-12Ghast8
Level 13-14Wight4
Level 15+Spectre8

Create Greater Undead:
Level Range     Type     Challenge Rating
Level 14Vampire12
Level 15-16Doom knight10
Level 17-18Lich18
Level 19+Greater mummy   14
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:13:27 AM by tylernwn »

Sloan

• Outlander
  • head empty, bags full
    • my carrd
or would appear in a way that was not selectable.

The turn undead feats (Sacred Healing, etc) perform the casting animation but have no effect if you're out of Turn Undead uses. I imagine it'd be possible to do the same thing with a summon spell. As in, select summon -> check caster level -> spell casts to no effect if unavailable, with a message saying something along the lines of "You need a Caster Level of X to create that type of undead."

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
or would appear in a way that was not selectable.

The turn undead feats (Sacred Healing, etc) perform the casting animation but have no effect if you're out of Turn Undead uses. I imagine it'd be possible to do the same thing with a summon spell. As in, select summon -> check caster level -> spell casts to no effect if unavailable, with a message saying something along the lines of "You need a Caster Level of X to create that type of undead."

Thanks for adding this information to the post. I imagine technical limitations would be the major obstacle here. As I can't see why a necromancer wouldn't be able to create "weaker" undead that they made before. If they wanted to at higher levels.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:11:01 AM by tylernwn »

AgentGibbs

• Outlander
I like this idea, and would +1 it. Something else that would have to be thought of is how the scrolls function, or if they just default to the weakest / highest allowed by the character

zDark Shadowz

I'd assume adjusting the spell to have a radial in the .2da and failing the spell if it's outside the spell level would do it. Shadow Conjuration for example does the level check for its summoning by default, uses a radial, checks its own scroll level etc.

This really just depends if a developer wants to take the time to make it away from their current projects, it's not an impossible job.

fullgazz

• New to the Mists
I played long time ago in a server that used a item to set the spells.. so if you want the spell X have the effect Y.. you just use the item and set that attribute to your character...   The main idea is let the summoner to choose what he want to summon, will make the RP greater and be more reasonable, since druids can choose on what shape they want to shapeshift..  not the last learned.