You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: 20th Level Monks and Ravenloft  (Read 60419 times)

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: 20th Level Monks and Ravenloft
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2007, 01:56:37 AM »
So anyway, the Lords that can sense everyone and everything,
No they can't. They're not omnipotent gods.

Quote from: Blues
What is this black coach drawn with Nightmares that people keep talking about?
He has a coach drawn by horses (just horses) that can bring people to his castle if he wishes it. There's no driver, but that's about it as far as "supernatural" stuff goes. As Michael said, he either sends it to bring guests to his castle or uses it himself.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2007, 02:02:41 AM »
So anyway, the Lords that can sense everyone and everything,
No they can't. They're not omnipotent gods.

Quote from: Blues
What is this black coach drawn with Nightmares that people keep talking about?
He has a coach drawn by horses (just horses) that can bring people to his castle if he wishes it. There's no driver, but that's about it as far as "supernatural" stuff goes. As Michael said, he either sends it to bring guests to his castle or uses it himself.

What he said.  HOWEVER, while the Count is of infinite patience with regards to people screwing with him (as many immortal beings are), Jack his ride and see what happens to you.

~Rex  :evil:
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2007, 06:59:40 AM »
I would imagine that a monk with a 20.000 feet reality wrinkle would be a threat to Strahd no matter what.  After all they cause trouble just by existing, not to mention that Strahd will lose control of every last one of his undead minions if they happened to get into that bubble, and that could create some problems by itself..

On the topic of Skeletal Steeds, Strahd is a powerful necromancer. He has created loads of these beauties.
Nightmares, there are no nightmares(as in the horse demon, plenty of normal nightmares though)..

Sig by Garison

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2007, 12:10:31 PM »
Horse Theif would be an awesome PC to play... you ever notice Festus' are just out there? begging for taking...

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2007, 01:29:15 PM »
Would help if you could ride the horses.  Otherwise it's just the Ranger/Druid animal empathy lead them out of town into the tavern schtick.  Taking ANYTHING strahd views as property though, cannonly really pisses him off.

~Rex  :twisted:

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2007, 01:52:07 PM »
for the last time: keep it on topic please. This thread is about high-level monks in Ravenloft. If you want to discuss horses or dark powers checks, start a new thread.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2007, 01:57:27 PM »
ok well something i was thinking abou today during my Baking class (yeah yeah i know dont pay attention  :roll: ) anyhow if the monks wrinkle thing makes a sorta domain well wouldnt a scrying spell that lets you view another plane etc. allow someone to see inside there (fyi i dont know my mage/cleric spells to well so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2007, 02:03:12 PM »
ok well something i was thinking abou today during my Baking class (yeah yeah i know dont pay attention  :roll: ) anyhow if the monks wrinkle thing makes a sorta domain well wouldnt a scrying spell that lets you view another plane etc. allow someone to see inside there (fyi i dont know my mage/cleric spells to well so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

No not really.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2007, 03:52:30 PM »
Just figured I'd add this in here before taking something of a break for a few days.  It's from the Ravenloft DMG and it goes roughly:

Ascended Outsider's:  When a mortal's creature  type permanently changes to "outsider" (such as a 20th level Monk), the character is said to have ascended.  A NON-Neutral ascended outsider gains the type descriptors (Chaotic, Evil, Good, Lawful) matching it's ethical and moral alignment.  A lawful Evil Monk, would gain the Evil and Lawful descriptors, for example, and would thus, be considered a Fiend.  The reality wrinkles for Ascended fiends and Celestials, are half the radius (1,000 feet per HD) of those emitted by outsiders that were never mortal.

Native Outsider's:  Outsiders that were spawned within Ravenloft itself (such as most Ascended PCs) do not gain phylacteries; if destroyed their spiritual essence disperses into the mists.

The Mists Descriptor:  When a hero ascends to become and outsider within Ravenloft, she can take the Mists Descriptor if she wishes to (see Ravenloft Players handbook, Chapter Three, "Altered Majic" Conjuration).  In terms that would concern a PC, such outsiders can pass through any closed domain border without harm, but they do not gain reality wrinkles, they can not perform power rituals, and they can never leave the realm of dread.  Indeed they are literally an extension of the mists.

Note taking that can be pretty funny when Azalin Rex or Strahd summons something with the Mist Descriptor, and Brother Maynard shows up.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2007, 04:52:11 PM »
 :lol: or dragrin   :lol: monk heh the new summon monsters :D

Crule

• Undead Master
  • Pain in the Ass
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2007, 05:49:16 PM »
Just figured I'd add this in here before taking something of a break for a few days.  It's from the Ravenloft DMG and it goes roughly:

Ascended Outsider's:  When a mortal's creature  type permanently changes to "outsider" (such as a 20th level Monk), the character is said to have ascended.  A NON-Neutral ascended outsider gains the type descriptors (Chaotic, Evil, Good, Lawful) matching it's ethical and moral alignment.  A lawful Evil Monk, would gain the Evil and Lawful descriptors, for example, and would thus, be considered a Fiend.  The reality wrinkles for Ascended fiends and Celestials, are half the radius (1,000 feet per HD) of those emitted by outsiders that were never mortal.

Native Outsider's:  Outsiders that were spawned within Ravenloft itself (such as most Ascended PCs) do not gain phylacteries; if destroyed their spiritual essence disperses into the mists.

The Mists Descriptor:  When a hero ascends to become and outsider within Ravenloft, she can take the Mists Descriptor if she wishes to (see Ravenloft Players handbook, Chapter Three, "Altered Majic" Conjuration).  In terms that would concern a PC, such outsiders can pass through any closed domain border without harm, but they do not gain reality wrinkles, they can not perform power rituals, and they can never leave the realm of dread.  Indeed they are literally an extension of the mists.

Note taking that can be pretty funny when Azalin Rex or Strahd summons something with the Mist Descriptor, and Brother Maynard shows up.

Whoa.... now, without a lot of superflous commentary, spam and b-s,  what does this mean in layman's terms?  Blue or (ahem) EO?  You guys seem to have the firmest handle on things ruleset-vs-ravenloft...dumb this down for a brotha!    (And let's focus on the hypothetical Ravenloft universe, not necessary its implementation on POTM).

What is the "Mists Descriptor" ?  I read the article in the 3.0 rulebook and it didn't make sense to me.  "Charactesr containing the Mists descriptor ..." but it didn't define the descriptor and what it is.

Picked this tidbit up from Fraternity of Shadows:

# How do reality wrinkles work?

Reality wrinkles act as a miniature domain that covers and overlaps the existing land. An outsider with a reality wrinkle can walk right up to a darklord without confusion (as long as the lord permits them). On this often misunderstood ability, we will let Azalin from the lost �Ask Azalin� forum make his summary for us:

�An outsider receives a reality wrinkle if it has either the Good or the Evil descriptor and it does not have the Mists descriptor. An outsider loses its reality wrinkle if it "maxes out" its Corruption points (22+) or binds itself to a mortal (as in the case of outsider familiars). Once an outsider loses its reality wrinkle, it can fail powers checks and even become a darklord just like anyone else. (Mists outsiders are an exception; they never make powers check because they are simply a malign extension of Ravenloft's planar fabric.)

A mortal who uses magic or special abilities (aka, "mortal magic") to temporarily change his creature type to "outsider" does not gain a reality wrinkle. A mortal who permanently becomes an outsider as a class ability (such as a 20th-level monk) is considered to have "ascended" to true outsider status. Such a character gains any applicable alignment descriptors (Chaotic, Evil, Good, Lawful) and, if the ascended outsider gains either the Good or Evil descriptors, then the character does gain a reality wrinkle, just like a monk. The character is considered an outsider in all ways.

Evil outsiders (fiends) can perform power rituals and thus gain land-based powers. Good outsiders (celestials) can also perform power rituals, but they cannot gain land-based powers; all they accomplish is to reduce the size of their reality wrinkle. And yes, in the previous two paragraphs I am referring specifically to the alignment descriptors.�

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 05:53:33 PM by Crule »

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2007, 06:01:47 PM »
That tidbit from the Fraternity of Shadows explains it beautifully, actually. Even describes the "Mist Descriptor"  :mrgreen:

Steley

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2007, 07:13:23 AM »
On the subject of the glowing eyes they receive, I always thought it was just a visual effect implemented because they didn't become outsiders in NWN. If that is in fact the case, wouldn't it be sensible to ignore that part of their Perfect Self at least? But do correct me if I'm wrong.

niapet

• Outlander
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2007, 08:49:35 AM »
ummm epic monks get glowing eyes...not level 20 monks...so unless the cap has been raised to 21 dont worry about it..[/b]
A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought...

nia

Ambrosios

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2007, 10:15:45 AM »
ummm epic monks get glowing eyes...not level 20 monks...so unless the cap has been raised to 21 dont worry about it..[/b]

No, it's level 20 with 'Perfect Self' and the 20/+1 damage reduction when monks get the 'glowy eyes'.

Helaman

• What the hell am I doing here?
  • Dark Power
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »
Can we get some gnarly graphix added to the character for that at 20th?

Otake is not headed in that direction but Wei might...

And Otake, Wulfgang Eberhardt, Aesin, Humiko, Bonereaver, Anthrania + whatever concept I am playing with...

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2007, 09:49:48 PM »
Can we get some gnarly graphix added to the character for that at 20th?

Otake is not headed in that direction but Wei might...
The game does that by default...you get glowing eyes. The color depends on your PC's alignment.

Weyland

• Outlander
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
Would love to have a custom walk button for monks that scales with movement speed from levels 3 through 18.  The current walk button doesn't normalize movement speed and so one can't walk along with a group at a matching pace.

Gilad Abrams

• Undead Master
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2017, 08:11:37 PM »
So now that we have a language system, do monks gain the ability of tounge of the moon and stars? After reading this thread I understand better about the reality wrinkle and it's RP and flavor value.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2017, 12:43:41 AM »
So now that we have a language system, do monks gain the ability of tounge of the moon and stars? After reading this thread I understand better about the reality wrinkle and it's RP and flavor value.

It would be nice to do something to sweeten both monk level 13 and particularly 17.

At 13th a monk gets 1 added to ki strike and another hit die. That's it. It's a non-feat level. I don't know how many creatures in this setting are affected by +2 magic weapons versus those affected by +1, but it seems awfully puny considering how slow the levelling is at that point.

Then at 17th, a monk again gets one additional hit die. Nothing else, except the feat all other classes get.

(Mind you, 16th is a super level, but there's just not a lot of balance with 17th...which seems like a good level to do some enchanting. Except what would a monk enchant?)
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:41 PM »
Wow, talk about a necrobump! :P

Good point about the monk ability, I don't think anyone thought about it when we came up with the language system.

I'm not sure of the best way to implement it, but we can bring it up at the next developer's meeting.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2020, 08:21:15 PM »
Wow, talk about a necrobump! :P

Good point about the monk ability, I don't think anyone thought about it when we came up with the language system.

I'm not sure of the best way to implement it, but we can bring it up at the next developer's meeting.

In the past three years, has this been talked about? I am curious to hear what the thoughts of the developers was about this. (Pardon the necrobump)

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »
It's been talked about, several times, and so far I've heard no solution with which I'm happy enough to implement it.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2020, 07:36:33 PM »
Thank you for the update!