You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: 20th Level Monks and Ravenloft  (Read 60439 times)

Rex

• Dark Power
Re: 20th Level Monks and Ravenloft
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2007, 07:38:56 AM »
Yeah I can't see Strahd ignoring that much of a pain.  But then he has been allowing all this high level competition to run amuck in his lands for some time, whats a 20th level monk going to really mean to him?  Only the DM's know.  Of course he is an Outlander, the Demi Plane could allways just Puke him out.

~Rex  :twisted:
Sometimes brutal violence is the only answer.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2007, 07:58:34 AM »
Agreed..
But the reality wrinkle in itself is a threat to Strahds power. He knows nothing of what goes on inside the wrinkle, and he loses his domain given powers inside it. That is even worse than a bunch of lvl 20 mages running around minding their own business, worse even than a high lvl paladin running around acting goodie goodie..
In essence it is something that Strahd canīt ignore.. It is far to dangerous to ignore..

Sig by Garison

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2007, 08:14:46 AM »
Agreed..
But the reality wrinkle in itself is a threat to Strahds power. He knows nothing of what goes on inside the wrinkle, and he loses his domain given powers inside it. That is even worse than a bunch of lvl 20 mages running around minding their own business, worse even than a high lvl paladin running around acting goodie goodie..
In essence it is something that Strahd canīt ignore.. It is far to dangerous to ignore..

Paladins get their own itchy problems too.  High level paladins are allmost as annoying as a good Outsider would be. Itchy Itchy.  There is just no way a Domain Lord would tolerate a reality bubble.  It's to much of a challenge to their authority.

Crule

• Undead Master
  • Pain in the Ass
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2007, 08:46:35 AM »
All you need to know about reality wrinkles is:

1. While within one, a darklord cannot access his/her domain given powers (such as Strahd's ability to control wolves and undead)

2. An outsider with a reality wrinkle can cross a closed border domain

3. An outsider with a reality wrinkle is a "blind spot" for a darklord

All of this can be done in game without need of game mechanics without being considered "cheesing."

The corruption points thing basically works in this method: if an outsider gains too many, it can never leave the demiplane.

ooooo nice well guess that mostly sums it up i suppose for me thanks blue...

Actually, it begs more questions than answers.

If as stated earlier that this wrinkle is a 5 mile radius around the 20th level monk.... does it also effect other players ability to summon/control who are in that "sphere of effect"?   Or just the domain lord?   

If he can cross a closed border, is the vistani mist on the way to the Barovia village considered of similar construction?  And if so, does the 20th level monk get an exemption to having to purchase the elixir?

And lastly, the second questionf or the DMs was that if reality wrinkles are going to be supported then what about the "tongue of sun and moon" ?

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2007, 10:57:44 AM »

1. While within one, a darklord cannot access his/her domain given powers (such as Strahd's ability to control wolves and undead)

All of this can be done in game without need of game mechanics without being considered "cheesing."

The corruption points thing basically works in this method: if an outsider gains too many, it can never leave the demiplane.

If as stated earlier that this wrinkle is a 5 mile radius around the 20th level monk.... does it also effect other players ability to summon/control who are in that "sphere of effect"?   Or just the domain lord?   

If he can cross a closed border, is the vistani mist on the way to the Barovia village considered of similar construction?  And if so, does the 20th level monk get an exemption to having to purchase the elixir?

And lastly, the second questionf or the DMs was that if reality wrinkles are going to be supported then what about the "tongue of sun and moon" ?

Off topic: sunddenly get several flashes of dbz for some reason ;)

=====

hmmm yeah thats true crule...so how bout it then dm's/devs/etc. if you'd get maynard and dragrin lvl 20ed running bout i'd say both would get pretty nailed :) epp heh uhh right anyhow so we get a 20,000 foot radius each ummm yeah i'd say that would piiss off domain lords hells sure glad now we DONT got epic lvls heh jeez could you see like 10 40lvl monks running bout lapping over there fields  :shock:

Crule

• Undead Master
  • Pain in the Ass
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »

=====

hmmm yeah thats true crule...so how bout it then dm's/devs/etc. if you'd get maynard and dragrin lvl 20ed running bout i'd say both would get pretty nailed :) epp heh uhh right anyhow so we get a 20,000 foot radius each ummm yeah i'd say that would piiss off domain lords hells sure glad now we DONT got epic lvls heh jeez could you see like 10 40lvl monks running bout lapping over there fields  :shock:

WHAT???

No Offense, but spelling, punctuation, and a lack of 733t speak would serve this thread of discussion a bit better, methinks.  At least, I'd be able to understand what you have just written.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2007, 11:47:13 AM »

Just the domain lord  

no and no

apples and oranges. reality wrinkles and their effects don't really affect other players. Unless/until we support some sort of language system, I'm going to hold off on the "tongue of sun and moon."

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2007, 12:15:06 PM »

=====

WHAT???

No Offense, but spelling, punctuation, and a lack of 733t speak would serve this thread of discussion a bit better, methinks.  At least, I'd be able to understand what you have just written.

sorry was a bit still hung over there....

Gutshank

• Dirty n00b!!!1
  • Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2007, 12:40:09 PM »
Well slap mah fro. Ya need to settle waaaay down man. Jes hang loose, brud  So cut 'im some slack, jack 'e was sippin the juice!  Dont jus' 'ate. Facilitate. Ya Dig?
S' coo' Man.
~Dawn Bless~

Doom

• Pain? Pain is like love . . . like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men.
  • Dark Power
  • What is pain to Doom?
    • Last Stand Legacy Beta
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2007, 12:41:42 PM »
We dig brotha yesseerp~

I thought Paladins created small reality bubble around them once they past level 2 or 3 and it just gets bigger and bigger?

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2007, 01:52:38 PM »
Paladins get reality bubbles/wrinkles?
I know that they become an itch in the Dark Lords butt, but not in any way like a 20th lvl monk would be, especially a good one..
I think they get something else..

Sig by Garison

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2007, 02:52:06 PM »
paladins do not create reality wrinkles

Crule

• Undead Master
  • Pain in the Ass
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2007, 04:02:09 PM »
Blue:

Is there any guidance that us as players of monks should need should we get to level 20 so that we might roleplay the ... the knowledge or something of this wrinkle?     Any general guidance at all?

Or is the existance of this wrinkle presumably "unbeknownst" to the character - but the domain lord most certainly knows about it?

Adorah

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2007, 04:52:02 PM »
Goodness I hope not!

I dont want to be associated with those freaky monks...

but yeah I dont think so, but perhaps someone else might know?

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2007, 05:13:55 PM »
Goodness I hope not!

I dont want to be associated with those freaky monks...

but yeah I dont think so, but perhaps someone else might know?

:D coward....heh

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2007, 06:22:14 PM »
You've achieved TOTAL perfection, the pinacle of your career path, and yet, you do not notice?  Don't think so.  You may not know what it IS, but you certainly notice it.  Since your're an outlander, the demi plane Just may decide to burp you out, getting rid of you, Or, corrupt you onto a path of your own nefarious evil, getting you your own little domain out in the mists, aka, getting rid of you.

All sorts of potential.

~Rex  :evil:

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2007, 11:16:41 AM »
Probably the second alternative there Rex..
In PnP after all itīs nigh impossible getting to lvl 20 as a monk uncorrupted. But then again iīm way more hardcore that way..

Sig by Garison

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »
Of course you really have to DO something to get corrupted.  Then of course you also have to DO said things in such a brilliant way, that the DM's notice as well.

~Rex :twisted:

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2007, 07:13:53 PM »
Blue:

Is there any guidance that us as players of monks should need should we get to level 20 so that we might roleplay the ... the knowledge or something of this wrinkle?     Any general guidance at all?

Or is the existance of this wrinkle presumably "unbeknownst" to the character - but the domain lord most certainly knows about it?

i'm not sure if the monk would necessarily notice the reality wrinkle unless he knew a thing or two about the demiplane. I'll have to consult Van Richten's Guide to Fiends when I get home.

As far as a darklord noticing it...it's more like a black hole. They don't notice the outsider, they notice an absence or blind spot.

Rex

• Dark Power
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »
Blue:

i'm not sure if the monk would necessarily notice the reality wrinkle unless he knew a thing or two about the demiplane. I'll have to consult Van Richten's Guide to Fiends when I get home.

As far as a darklord noticing it...it's more like a black hole. They don't notice the outsider, they notice an absence or blind spot.

BIG blindspot.  I say, Strahd shows up at the Kumite, throws down and eliminates the competition.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
Corruption PnP style is easy.. Use Evil Necromancy spell that killed something aka Finger of Death.. 10% Power Check at the very least, auto fail if used on something good..
And what was it for monks.. 5% +1%/lvl every time they lvl up? My players never got away with anything :twisted:

Sig by Garison

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2007, 07:57:04 PM »
That's in a campaign however, the numbers are adjusted here because the context is very different. A player in a campaign won't spam necromancy spells for the sheer sake of going up the DP's, however in-game it can easily be done. A lot more can be done and evil is easier to do in a PW than in a linear campaign with a single party.

Don't use the PnP logic to powers checks for a PW, it is not working correctly.

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2007, 01:07:38 PM »
I get that EO ;)

But a first DP shouldnt be that hard to get, not to easy either of course... Ah, just my mind working here..
 :lol:Just find it funny that a high lvl necromancer remains uncorrupted despite numerous uses of evil spells and demonic summoning.. Will have to work on something suitably wicked :twisted:

Sig by Garison

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2007, 01:13:27 PM »
I get that EO ;)

But a first DP shouldnt be that hard to get, not to easy either of course... Ah, just my mind working here..
 :lol: Just find it funny that a high lvl necromancer remains uncorrupted despite numerous uses of evil spells and demonic summoning.. Will have to work on something suitably wicked :twisted:
Don't misunderstand, you can still get a powers check for casting those spells, but a DM has to witness it in context. Otherwise a sorceror could spam horrid wilting all day and go from stage 1 to stage 6 in couple of hours  :lol:

Ravenous

• Devourer
  • Dark Power
  • Hunger is eternal...
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2007, 01:17:23 PM »
Watch me!!! ;)

Sig by Garison