Author Topic: Fighter : Physical Training Feats  (Read 904 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Fighter : Physical Training Feats
« on: April 27, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »
So, just a quick suggestion that came to me:

Why not give Fighters the possibility to take 'physical training' feats?

For example, at lvl 8 and 16, they get the chance to up one physical stat (STR, DEX, CON) by 1, in addition to the current stat increase you can do.

It's not a huge bonus, but I think it could give fighters a chance to expand on their builds? Just a thought.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Fighter : Physical Training Feats
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »
Disagree with the idea of giving them such an option at level 8, cross-classes are strong enough, but I can see the appeal in giving it to pure Fighters at level 16 and 20.

Edit note:  with a Feat purchase, that is.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:23:22 AM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 11:42:06 AM »
Str, Dex, Con, only?

immasturgeon

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »
Also wouldn't mind something like this, something that could sweeten the deal for pure fighters.

I agree with Aprog however, something limited to high levels. Nothing lower than 15 or so, which even for a MC character would be up at level 20 when they finally got there. Pure fighters get some benefit through the end game.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 08:40:49 PM »
Maybe epic toughness stacking feats for more hitpoints, because all it does is increase survivability without unbalancing any other aspect, which is generally why Fighters end up picking up every possible saving throw their pure class can get with only fortitude as a primary.

The fighter that can survive and hold out just that little bit longer in dire situations is always fun.

Yesper

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 09:33:40 PM »
Perhaps granting fighters uncanny dodge at some point would act greatly to their benefit. They'd still be subject to sneak attacks and the like, but they, as a trained martial combatant, would know how to manage the distance between themselves and multiple opponents due to their experience.

Edit: Or creating a fighter-specific feat at earlier levels that accomplishes the same thing, perhaps with int or wis as a prereq.

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 10:41:40 AM »
Perhaps granting fighters uncanny dodge at some point would act greatly to their benefit. They'd still be subject to sneak attacks and the like, but they, as a trained martial combatant, would know how to manage the distance between themselves and multiple opponents due to their experience.

Edit: Or creating a fighter-specific feat at earlier levels that accomplishes the same thing, perhaps with int or wis as a prereq.

"Uncanny Dodge I: The character retains his dexterity bonus to AC, even if caught flat-footed or attacked by a hidden or invisible creature."

How much Dex do fighters tend to have to really benefit from this at early levels? Seems they could make a dip to rogue, for tumble and other things, to get more benefit.

As to Ken's idea, I think it has merit. I'm not super familiar in the game to know what balance disruption this may cause, but it seems cool.