You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Valaki Northeastern Grove & Eastern Farmlands  (Read 1305 times)

ObsidianOrb

Valaki Northeastern Grove & Eastern Farmlands
« on: April 12, 2020, 08:20:14 AM »
The combat music in Vallaki Northeastern Grove, seems far too dramatic for a peaceful area so close to the town. There isn't any danger, or spawn locations (as far as I am aware) nore does there seem to be any secret passage to any menacing area, but when you attack the squirrels for pelts, it sounds as if your assaulting Castle Ravenloft, something a bit more default, would probably be the best choice for combat in this area.

Also in the Eastern Farmlands, with the farms and the workers chopping wood, some sounds around the surrounding farms of chopping and sawing wood, would enhance the area.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
Re: Valaki Northeastern Grove & Eastern Farmlands
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 12:05:18 PM »
When there is combat, it’s usually because a DM is running something or you’ve encountered an AMPC, which are all great times for epic combat music.

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 03:39:33 PM »
When there is combat, it’s usually because a DM is running something or you’ve encountered an AMPC, which are all great times for epic combat music.

:S Or, when you kill a squirrel? Epic combat music really aught to be saved for the epic areas/dungeons, you don't want to make the area's silly, unless that's the theme of the area.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 03:40:01 PM »
The combat music in Vallaki Northeastern Grove, seems far too dramatic for a peaceful area so close to the town. There isn't any danger, or spawn locations (as far as I am aware) nore does there seem to be any secret passage to any menacing area, but when you attack the squirrels for pelts, it sounds as if your assaulting Castle Ravenloft, something a bit more default, would probably be the best choice for combat in this area.

Also in the Eastern Farmlands, with the farms and the workers chopping wood, some sounds around the surrounding farms of chopping and sawing wood, would enhance the area.

Night-time spawns. Sometimes you can run into quite a number of lycans there. (Since many folks used it in the past to get to the Outskirts, as it used to be a much safer way than the southern forest at night.)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 03:56:54 PM »

Night-time spawns. Sometimes you can run into quite a number of lycans there. (Since many folks used it in the past to get to the Outskirts, as it used to be a much safer way than the southern forest at night.)

That doesn't really make any sense though, if you were going to create an uneasy atmosphere at night, which is the only time the spawns would be a problem, then it would make sense to choose the night time music to create the sense of dread, not the battle music, because that music plays during the day time, when the spawns are rodents, and birds, it doesn't make any sense for the area.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:59:18 PM by ObsidianOrb »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
This is purely a matter of subjective taste. Generally, given how much work and time go into creating areas for us, I'd prefer not to nitpick overmuch about a personal annoyance that can be ignored by turning down the sound. When offering criticism, it would also be preferable IMO to balance it with praise or provide a suggested alternative.

Edit: By alternative, I mean a specific piece of music or perhaps even a sound effect file.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:09:37 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 05:13:04 PM »
This is purely a matter of subjective taste. Generally, given how much work and time go into creating areas for us, I'd prefer not to nitpick overmuch about a personal annoyance that can be ignored by turning down the sound. When offering criticism, it would also be preferable IMO to balance it with praise or provide a suggested alternative.

Edit: By alternative, I mean a specific piece of music or perhaps even a sound effect file.

Uh, are you OK? You seem pretty defensive? I'm sorry, but this is a section of the forums for suggesting feedback, which is what I have done, I'm not nitpicking. Also, you have a "Topic for Minor Issues", it seems pretty odd you would comment like that, on this post, in this section, when you have pages and pages of "minor issues".

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
I'm perfectly fine :)

What I'm getting at is whoever built the area presumably thought the music was okay when choosing it.

So you are basically saying you want your (subjective) taste substituted for the (subjective) taste of the person who built the area. Those building the server have put literal years into the effort, whereas you joined the forum yesterday.

Under the circumstances, I (in my subjective opinion) would try to frame my criticism constructively and try to make a good first impression. But you do you :D

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

MoonCrower

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »

What I'm getting at is whoever built the area presumably thought the music was okay when choosing it.

So you are basically saying you want your (subjective) taste substituted for the (subjective) taste of the person who built the area. Those building the server have put literal years into the effort, whereas you joined the forum yesterday.

Under the circumstances, I (in my subjective opinion) would try to frame my criticism constructively and try to make a good first impression. But you do you :D

To be honest, I don't think you are making a fair argument here. This literally translates to "you just joined so you can't have an opinion" even if that isn't what you meant. This is a feedback thread, and I think that Obsidian is trying to provide that. Is it aesthetic only? Sure, but aesthetics play a large role in the atmosphere of the server.
Active Characters:
Inan De'Rethke
Atrayix
Pierce d'Leroux
Sarkith Darskard
Envel'Wyld Tar'Talon

Leezil

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 08:32:45 PM »
This feels quite nitpicky. This is a free server.
Sasha Sorokina: Devoted to the Morninglord
Portrait - link

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 02:21:07 AM »
I guess what I mean is... not many people are killing squirrels. That means when battle -does- happen there, it’s usually because an AMPC is on you or a DM event. Either that or a pack of lycans which can be a real threat for lowbies. I don’t know that there is battle music for squirrel fighting so I doubt the build team was really trying to fit that.

ObsidianOrb

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 04:46:07 AM »

Well it seems to me that your either not OK, or your just being obtuse, but I will continue to do me, thank you very much, because I haven't done anything wrong. Also the suggestion that I should turn my speakers up and down as I'm walking through the module, is ludicrous beyond belief, and shouldn't be encouraged over posting a suggestion, in the correct area of the forums.

To further clarify, the music in an area should fit the overall tone that it's conveying, the combat music is far too intense, it's a quiet, relatively peaceful grove, with either a PC or NPC memorial located in it, in a low level hub area in the module, something like the default combat music for rural area's would be more appropriate to the feel of the area, just like in the Eastern farmlands in the adjacent area.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 07:59:15 PM »
We may at some point review music in the module but that's nowhere near the top of the list of priorities.