Author Topic: Malthor avatar invis at times.  (Read 1253 times)

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
Malthor avatar invis at times.
« on: April 08, 2020, 06:23:09 PM »
Where: In Perfidous, Malthor's Chamber.

When: Malthor aggros for combat in Perfidus

What: Recently, more often than not, Malthor's avatar is invisible, and untargetable. PCs have true sight, or see invisible cast on them to rule out most avoidance spells.

Recreate:  Start pulling various casters to clear trash before Malthor, and he will eventually show up invisible, and start casting epic spells :-(

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Re: Malthor avatar invis at times.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 08:05:03 PM »
For a temporary solution, pull him out into the next map. I tried relogging and it didn't ever work, but bringing him out into the cave always worked.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 08:44:01 PM »
Rebooting the game might work, it seems some larger model enemies just vanish since the last update I've noticed this on Arelith as well.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 09:06:22 PM »
Also note he is great at sneaking. He do that sneak, epic spell casting all the time.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 09:36:47 PM »
The problem arises when he is making attacks while in "stealth" or casting while in "stealth." This isn't a legal action, it's a bug; launching an attack breaks stealth whether or not it misses, and casting breaks stealth at the start of the cast, not the end of the cast. It can be safely concluded that he's not in stealth, but his model is failing to render for one reason or another.

A lot of enemies who are said to be "great sneaks" are not being detected by well-invested detectors, they're just killing people while invisible as "Someone" floods the combat log. This is a bug we have a lot of evidence of occurring semi-regularly (for some, they're unlucky enough it happens every time they go to these places where it's happening). It's coming up as frequently as tileset-based AOE spell issues and we have to alter our play or flee to get around it.

After closing my game completely and re-launching it 4 times in a single Malthor battle, I can't recommend anyone risk their party wiping to random damage from an untargetable enemy (or group of enemies) by relogging or spamming detection buffs. These enemies are not in stealth. Pulling him out of the cave is the only sure bet. I recommend the same thing with the mummies if you notice it happening before it's too late, because by going back inside, you risk these enemies finding you and making all their attack rolls unopposed.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »
Also note he is great at sneaking. He do that sneak, epic spell casting all the time.

It's not him sneaking. It's a bug that has been going around lately, the model won't load in at all. When they attack you in melee or hit you with a spell, it just says "Someone attacks you" or "Someone damages you". It happened last night for me at the trolls in Har'Akir.
"No, you." -Captain America

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 11:02:52 PM »
For a temporary solution, pull him out into the next map. I tried relogging and it didn't ever work, but bringing him out into the cave always worked.

That is indeed what we do, but it is still a bit of a hassle.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 11:40:49 PM »
Hopefully Beamdog has a clue and it's fixed sooner rather than later, we can only email them so many screenshots and videos of "Someone" attacking us. Just makes everything confusing and weird.

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 07:09:35 AM »
A thing i wasn't sure if it had been reported yet, or not, and I couldn't see any post about it in this forum. Figured worth tossing it out.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »
A signal boost for something like this is always worth it, if only to make people aware of these kinds of things so they can avoid dying to them, if they even have a chance to react :)

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »
It's not beamdog it's probably a funky tileset if anything.