Author Topic: Changes to Mist Camp  (Read 3146 times)

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
Changes to Mist Camp
« on: April 01, 2020, 04:06:44 AM »
Hello Prisoners,
Now that I've completed the first phase of my dungeon refresh project (should be in the next update), I'd like to announce what I'm working on after that;

Updating the Most Camp, and I'd like your feedback.

In an effort to be more immersive and highlight the vistani more, the Mist Camp will no longer be solely accessible through Tser Pool. Instead, Vistani caravans will 'wander' their domains, appearing at different spots on a semi-randomised basis. The destinations they offer will also be semi-randomised. Vistani travel will be unavailable during the full moon as they should be off doing their secret Vistani rites.

When in the Mist Camp, only some, not all destinations will be availible, and these too will change every real-life day.

The camp itself will also change, depending on which Vistani tribe is dominant. For example, when it's a Kamii camp, smithing amenities will be present, and better prices offered for weapons and armour. When it's the vatraska, Ressurection, healing and herbalism amenities will be present, etc.

The domains will still be connected by the mistway, but the hope is these changes will make using the vistani for travel closer to the lore, and a more immersive experience.

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
Re: Changes to Mist Camp
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 04:08:15 AM »
What precautions are you taking to make sure players can't game the system much like the current Mistways, aside it being random? If you can discuss it vaguely.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:09:56 AM by Phantasia »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 04:12:35 AM »
For the larger domains (Barovia and Dementlieu), finding the vistani themselves is a non-trivial task, and even then there's no telling where they're going even when you do find them. Players won't be able to just 'camp out' next to the vistani captain and wait for his destination to change, that only happens when the camp changes location too.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 04:27:00 AM »
Thank you so much. I've always thought it would make a lot more sense if there was not one Mist Camp but that travelers would end up in one of many. This part of the map is sparse on flavour and cues for the tense kind of atmosphere it could have, so boosting the identity of the Vistani by making the face tribe at any given time more clear can only go down well. I'm also very excited to see them become more nomadic within the domains themselves. This is all around fantastic.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 04:46:39 AM »
I honestly have been struck about how OOC and rather intuitive the Mist Camp has been for some time, so this is welcome news. The suggested changes sound like they will bring more character to the Vistani and provide a more interesting dynamic for players when utilizing Vistani travel. I think adding the numerous DM-only domain locations would be interesting such as Levkarest, Bleutspur, The Carnival, or Zeidenburg for Vistani traveling depending on which tribe is being called for it.

I would also suggest adding more ways to make the camp immersive as a 'hub' since that seems to be the design decision.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

Kinga

• 🎀𝐸𝓁𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢𝑜𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓈🎀
  • The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • 𝐵𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓎 𝒟𝑜 𝒞𝓇𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 05:03:50 AM »
Hello Prisoners,
Now that I've completed the first phase of my dungeon refresh project (should be in the next update), I'd like to announce what I'm working on after that;

In an effort to be more immersive and highlight the vistani more, the Mist Camp will no longer be solely accessible through Tser Pool. Instead, Vistani caravans will 'wander' their domains, appearing at different spots on a semi-randomised basis. The destinations they offer will also be semi-randomised. Vistani travel will be unavailable during the full moon as they should be off doing their secret Vistani rites.

When in the Mist Camp, only some, not all destinations will be availible, and these too will change every real-life day.

The camp itself will also change, depending on which Vistani tribe is dominant. For example, when it's a Kamii camp, smithing amenities will be present, and better prices offered for weapons and armour. When it's the vatraska, Ressurection, healing and herbalism amenities will be present, etc.

The domains will still be connected by the mistway, but the hope is these changes will make using the vistani for travel closer to the lore, and a more immersive experience.

Remove Mist Camp

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 05:37:16 AM »
Hello Prisoners,

Remove Mist Camp

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 05:59:05 AM »
Removing mist camp is also a good solution
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 06:56:23 AM »
Removing mist camp is also a good solution

+1
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:37:38 AM by Hallvor Hadiya »
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:45 AM »
Interesting stuff! Kamii will be my favorite vistani.  :mrgreen:

It sounds to me that when you find the vistani, that they can transport you directly to other domains or mist camp. Is that right?'

(Btw, this would be the cruelest April fools)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:12:03 AM by Telkar »

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 09:29:39 AM »
I'm going to toss in that if the mist camp were to be removed, i'd suggest removing the restrictions on rp exp based on level. Actually this may be a good time to just do that.

Since the Vistani will be less dependant, it will be trickier for characters to travel once they hit the exp cap for roleplay.

Otherwise I love it. Makes it seem more real, more accurate to the setting :D
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »
RP XP is right where it needs to be at the moment.

If anything, the Devs need to think long and hard about an RP XP cap similar to what we have for dungeon XP.

Something along the lines of "Reflecting on today's activities, you're surprised you haven't talked yourself to death. Friends have begun to wonder whether you ever pause to breathe and were an auctioneer in a former life. Not only you, but everyone around you is exhausted and unable to take in another word."

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Kinga

• 🎀𝐸𝓁𝒹𝓇𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒢𝑜𝒹𝒹𝑒𝓈𝓈🎀
  • The Underworld
  • Undead Master
  • 𝐵𝑒 𝒢𝒶𝓎 𝒟𝑜 𝒞𝓇𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 11:04:03 AM »

If anything, the Devs need to think long and hard about an RP XP cap similar to what we have for dungeon XP.

Something along the lines of "Reflecting on today's activities, you're surprised you haven't talked yourself to death. Friends have begun to wonder whether you ever pause to breathe and were an auctioneer in a former life. Not only you, but everyone around you is exhausted and unable to take in another word."
I think we should go deeper and remove rp xp. We shouldn't use xp as a way to encourage roleplay! The joy of roleplay itself is an encouragement :)

XeoKai

• New to the Mists
  • That one guy.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »

I disagree. I think the RP XP is a reward for roleplaying, it shouldn't be capped like dungeon XP.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 01:34:16 PM »
So if I am understanding this correctly, there will be different mist camps that are run by different vistani groups? It sounds cool, but how will this location work as a hub for people, if the player population there is split off into different instances of the mist camp.

Maybe once you are at the mist camp, you should have the option to travel to other mist camps?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:37:52 PM by tylernwn »

Asous

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 02:38:10 PM »
So if I am understanding this correctly, there will be different mist camps that are run by different vistani groups? It sounds cool, but how will this location work as a hub for people, if the player population there is split off into different instances of the mist camp.

Maybe once you are at the mist camp, you should have the option to travel to other mist camps?

i understood it as the camp changes hands every few days, not that theres more than 1 instance?

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »
Hello Prisoners,

1) Posted on April 1st, not taking it too seriously.
2) if not a joke, while an interesting idea, this is going to make navigating the server a lot harder and with the server stability lately, it's going to result in a lot more "Hey, DM, Port me back after crash plz".
3) If this idea is put in place, i[ would make sense to have the various mistways be open more often. Presently, it seems the entries (especially in port, barovia and ghastria) are closed a lot more than they are open.
"No, you." -Captain America

Jeerbear

• The Underworld
  • Outlander
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 03:42:41 PM »
ok. but here is  the real question. is the developer team finally going to put another pointed rock in the mist camp? its proven to be a good place to place your high level characters and flex and i really think we need a second one

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »
Posted at 4am NZ time Apr2nd so going to take it seriously on my end, below is a list of thoughts about the area that may contradict each other in places. These are genuine thoughts.

I'm okay with Mist Camp as it currently is.

A more dynamic and changing destination set may keep people from just roaming between different lands carving up the dungeons.

Travel by boat between different lands (Blaustein, Ghastria, Dementlieu) still being present could mitigate issues toward an otherwise barred area if any of the above are still available.

Travel out of Barovia via the mistways should be available at any time, aside from when the Count has deliberately barred the borders as part of a story, with being able to get back into Barovia still being subject to the usual pathways needing to be open. (Be careful when stepping into the Mists!)

Hazlan having its border area connected would be nice, requiring payment to pass. Maybe the Count would actually get coin from the Outlanders then instead of having them make money in his lands and then leaving with it, causing his country to become poorer still.

I'd like it if the last domain you were in is the faction base rather than a Mist Camp area variant, I don't think people should spawn in at the Mist Camp after resets. It's a waystation at best, not living quarters.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:00:26 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Rainor

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 10:56:54 PM »
People already complain that it takes forever to get around. I don't think making it more complicated(Or some days, impossible) to get around is going to help.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 11:35:27 PM »
People already complain that it takes forever to get around. I don't think making it more complicated(Or some days, impossible) to get around is going to help.

This.
"No, you." -Captain America

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 11:59:17 PM »
This sounds really cool!

I hope it isn't an April Fools trick >.>
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 12:13:46 AM »

This.
It's a valid concern. I still think a bit more flavour is welcome anywhere it can be added. Maybe locking off certain destinations can be reconsidered.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 12:14:21 AM »
@Erebus

Is this just a really elaborate April Fools joke?

If so, Kudos!

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 04:44:47 AM »
Happy April 1st