Author Topic: Is Bonetti's Defence working?  (Read 2209 times)

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Is Bonetti's Defence working?
« on: March 15, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »
Now I will be the first to admit that maybe I don't know how this feat works, however I have not been able to see the +1 ac in any situation. So I am thinking that this feat doesn't work. Here is what I have tried:

1. My character who has 20 ac with no weapon equipped, first equips a longsword (with the other hand empty), and later a short sword (with the other hand empty). In both cases the character screen shows no additional AC.

2. Thinking that the AC bonus might be hidden, I went to fight gremishkas since they are very accurate and hit low damage. After activating expertise (raising my AC to 25) I fought groups of Gremishka's, who were hitting me with roles like [17+8= 25]. This mean that there is no hidden AC, since the roll is equal to my displayed AC which was not changed by fighting one handed.

With no visible AC, and no hidden AC change, I can only assume that this feat is not working. Am I missing something?

Edit:
I was able to confirm that this feat only works with light and medium armor. I was using a piece of heavy armor.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:17:18 PM by tylernwn »

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
Re: Is Bonetti's Defence working?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
Bonetti's Defense is meant for a single, one handed weapon.

I may have misunderstood in that you weren't using both swords at the same time.  In that case, you should see the message "Applying parry skill and feat bonuses:" in your combat log, and an increase to your AC.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:24:08 PM by FinalHeaven »

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 04:51:34 PM »
Bonetti's Defense is meant for a single, one handed weapon.

I may have misunderstood in that you weren't using both swords at the same time.  In that case, you should see the message "Applying parry skill and feat bonuses:" in your combat log, and an increase to your AC.

To clarify, I was not dual weilding. I used a regular weapon, and then replaced it with a light weapon (thinking that might be a requirement). I do see a message saying single weapon equipped, but no armor bonus.

Edit:
I did however just noticed that when I take my scalemail armor off (naked), that I do see an AC bonus on the character screen when equipping a longsword one handed. However with my armor equipped there is no bonus.

Is there an unclear requirement for this feat? For example that it only works with light or no armor?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:14:41 PM by tylernwn »

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 05:14:20 PM »
There shouldn't be any hidden requirement, no.  At least when I test it it works fine in light or medium armor.

Out of curiosity do you have ranks in Parry?  If you have at least 5 total points in Parry (accounting for Armor Check Penalty) it's doubly odd that you're not seeing the AC message.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »
There shouldn't be any hidden requirement, no.  At least when I test it it works fine in light or medium armor.

Out of curiosity do you have ranks in Parry?  If you have at least 5 total points in Parry (accounting for Armor Check Penalty) it's doubly odd that you're not seeing the AC message.

The character in question is a fighter rogue with no ranks in parry at the moment.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 07:30:22 PM »

The character in question is a fighter rogue with no ranks in parry at the moment.

I'm not a developer but I'm curious if that's why you don't see the appropriate message in the Combat Log.  Beyond that I'm not entirely sure what might be happening.  Best wait for a Dev to chime in.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »

I'm not a developer but I'm curious if that's why you don't see the appropriate message in the Combat Log.  Beyond that I'm not entirely sure what might be happening.  Best wait for a Dev to chime in.

Yeah, I think that is best.

In the interest of dumping all relevant information:

The character is wearing Scalemail Splint Mail armor (+6 AC)
The character has 5 ranks in tumble (+1 AC)
The character is wielding a longsword one handed (+0 AC)
The character has 16 Dex (+3 AC)

The total displayed AC for the character is 20 => 10 + 6 + 1 + 3.

Equipping and unequipping the longsword does not have a visible effect on AC, unless the character is naked. I have no light armor to test this with, so I only know about the scalemail vs no scalemail situation. It seems that the feat works when no armor is equipped, as detectable by a change in the AC in the character sheet of +1.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:05:22 PM by tylernwn »

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 10:40:48 AM »
Just out of curiosity, does your character ever get the Bonus AC for parry message? 

Furthermore, does your character have the feat improved unarmed strike?

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does your character ever get the Bonus AC for parry message? 

Furthermore, does your character have the feat improved unarmed strike?

The only message I've seen is something like ~ Weapon equipped one handed.
The character has no skill points in parry, and has not taken improved unarmed strike.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:36:16 PM by tylernwn »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 12:34:06 PM »

The character is wearing Scalemail armor (+6 AC)
Equipping and unequipping the longsword does not have a visible effect on AC, unless the character is naked. I have no light armor to test this with, so I only know about the scalemail vs no scalemail situation.

Scalemail is not normally +6, right? I would test with some other armor since it works with no armor at all.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 09:56:49 AM »
Agreed, I think +6 to +8 is the range for heavy armor. Try the feat with any armor base +1 to +5 equipped.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 10:28:35 AM »
Agreed, I think +6 to +8 is the range for heavy armor. Try the feat with any armor base +1 to +5 equipped.

I'll try to find some lighter armor to use the feat with, and report back the results.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »

I'll try to find some lighter armor to use the feat with, and report back the results.

I think any other type would be useful in isolating the issue--even a rusted junk drop. It may be something with that specific suit.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 01:15:27 PM »
Armor choice matters:
I was able to confirm that this feat only works with light and medium armor. I was using a piece of heavy armor (+6), Splint Mail I think.

I would say that this armor restriction is not clear from the feat description, and should probably be worked in somehow. Nevertheless, the original question is answered; this feat is for Medium and Light armor only.

It was not working for me because I was using heavy armor.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:06:04 PM by tylernwn »

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »
Spoiler: show
Armor choice matters:
I was able to confirm that this feat only works with light and medium armor. I was using a piece of heavy armor (+6). Splint mail I think.

I would say that this information is not clear from the feat description, and should probably be worked in somehow. Nevertheless, the original question is answered; the feat is for Medium and Light armor only.

I wonder whether this is caused by Dex limits on the armor type. Your PC has a +3 bonus from Dex, so it might be an issue in the interaction between the feat, your Dex, and the armor's Dex AC limit. Whether it's a bug or intentional, though, EO or another Dev would have to say.