Author Topic: A Cleaner Server  (Read 886 times)

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
A Cleaner Server
« on: March 11, 2020, 09:16:44 AM »
So this is more of a brainstorming thread than a specific suggestion, I suppose. Lately I have been seeing a LOT more trash and items left lying around on the server. Specifically, meat. Just walking through the various forests, there's just meat items scattered all over the place for whatever reason. The one that really baffles me the most is when people throw things away IN FRONT OF A TRASH BIN. POTM nears 100 players often and all of those stray items scattered all over the place don't exactly help the lag issue. I know that area cleaner bots come with their own problems, but besides that, what other ideas might people have about how to keep the server's areas cleaner?

Something else that might be worth considering is a bit of a loot overhaul. I know that having massive inventories in shops and crates can generate a fair bit of lag and with how the servers dungeons handle loot, there's hundreds of junk items that sell for near no gold, maybe removing these items in favor of slightly boosting other items values might help with littering the shops with nine pages of Kali necklaces, rusted armor and the like?
"No, you." -Captain America

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
Re: A Cleaner Server
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »
Not sure about cleaner bots, but much like the real world; If everyone could kindly put their garbage in the bins allocated generously about the place, that'd be great

Don't be slobs, especially slobs in a game

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
Something else that might be worth considering is a bit of a loot overhaul. I know that having massive inventories in shops and crates can generate a fair bit of lag and with how the servers dungeons handle loot, there's hundreds of junk items that sell for near no gold, maybe removing these items in favor of slightly boosting other items values might help with littering the shops with nine pages of Kali necklaces, rusted armor and the like?

+1

Actually, although I do appreciate the immersion and flavor of some of these items, after a while, they're pointlessly repetitive. I suspect some of them reset in vendors inventories because you will see that at one point the vendor had 15 screens full of "something" and now it's down to 8. I don't think there was a run on necklaces of Kali and someone bought them all!

Anyway, I would just replace the items with a little more straight-up gold. Most loot items I don't bother with at all when soloing because of being so tired of the repetitive vending process and lugging it around on an always encumbered character.

Is there a way for undead not to have rusted, heavy equipment that keeps them from despawning? Yes, low levels can sell that stuff, but three or four fang would be preferable to having to haul a rusted two-hander to Petre.

If this means good loot would drop too often because of how the loot tables work, adjust the numbers so that less loot drops period.

TLDR; replace most of the items worth in the single digits with the gold itself.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »
I think the topic is specifically about players littering. Public areas that haven't had any activity in 10 minutes could cull any objects in that area. That might be reasonable.

Though I must say that walking though a crypt and seeing several chunks of meat on the floor, was suspenseful the first time it happened to me.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:54:38 PM by tylernwn »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »
I think the topic is specifically about players littering.

I quoted the OP in my post :)

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Snarling_Badger

• Gundarakite Rebels
  • Undead Slayer
  • makin' pancakes
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 03:07:37 PM »
What's funny is that people in real life will throw trash on the ground when there is always a garbage can nearby, too.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 06:30:16 PM »
There are automated removals for some crafting resource items, I think. But theres a lot of ways people can lose items and finding them an hour or three later with the help of someone else is awesome.

Weapons dropped on death, objects dropped after being placed in bags that were too full (returned a lvl 4 cleric slot ring to a player from this), weapons unequipped when a bag is too full before entering a town. These things happen a lot. Clean inventories and clean servers would be nice but it'd probably cause more resources as people stop caring, more litter is generated and more areas have to run scripts individually to empty themselves.

To be honest though, the servers litter causes less lag than one merchant with bags full of gear logging in.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:34:57 PM by zDark Shadowz »