You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Harvest Temple of Har'Akir: Add a few small fiendish scorpions into the mix.  (Read 982 times)

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
The Harvest Temple of Har'Akir is filled with huge fiendish scorpions. I love this area and have had a lot of fun fighting them.

I recently noticed that the doorway used to enter the main chamber of the temple is so small that the larger scorpions can have trouble chasing the PC through them. You can, for example, retreat and usually the scorpions won't be able to get to you.

I suggest that we add a few small fiendish scorpions to every group in the temple. These would be able to easily fit through the doorway and mix things up a little bit for raiders. Small Fiendish Scorpions are also very fast, so they can chase PCs down very easily.

Furthermore small fiendish scorpions are babies. So this change could tie into lore that the area is a breeding ground for fiendish scorpions.

I just wanted to put the idea out there, and see what the Devs think.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:34:39 PM by tylernwn1991 »

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
I agree, more enemy variety is always good. This is one of those dungeons where it's just 3 types of enemies the whole way through and they all look pretty much the same if their models aren't actually identical.

The scorpion ambush is cool and all but I am told it can cause glitches and lag on the server due to the amount of corpses spawned. Our group usually cleans up the scorpions by looting them all and shoving their items into a single corpse to reduce stress on the server, but we're not actually certain if that helps.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Kamfrenchie

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
So long as the actual number of scorpions is reduced then sure why not. Remove the group further back though

Hypatia

• Undead Master
There are too many scorpions.  the sheer number of bodies means that after a while the mummies will become invisible because there are too many figures in the map.

Also, those scorpions are far too weak for their massive size.  You see them and expect them to be a challenge, but they are not.  Not even in their numbers. 

I recommend making half the number of scorpions and making them smaller.  Then add a few big ones like that but massively increase their difficulty.  These things are supposed to be deadly and heavily armored. The variety would be nice, the glitches in the area would be cut down drastically and it would make a 10' scorpion something to be feared, as it should be.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
Maybe the smaller scorpions shouldn't be lootable then, and only the bigger "miniboss" scorpions should be lootable, solving the too many figures problem?
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
Maybe the smaller scorpions shouldn't be lootable then, and only the bigger "miniboss" scorpions should be lootable, solving the too many figures problem?

Or just make those scorpions some other kind of monster and have no loot on them. Not many people are going to want to haul out chitin + poison + dungeon loot anyways. It will help with the number of bodies in the area as well since each mummy have at minimum 1 piece of loot that will generally go ignored, the wrappings are just too big to be carried out and sold with herbs. I don't think I've ever had someone sell me wrappings in all the time I've bought herbs.
"No, you." -Captain America

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
I mean while we are at it having a "King Scorpion", one with a fear aura and venom spit ranged attack, would be cool too. However this specific suggestion is more about adding a smaller more maneuverable scorpion to the mix.