Author Topic: Do any of the summoning feats available affect the 9th circle Gate Spell?  (Read 2349 times)

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Do any of the summoning feats available to players affect the 9th circle spell Gate?

I don't think that any do, but I wanted to double check.

Summoning & Necromancy Feats
1. Augment Elemental
2. Augment Summoning
3. Beckon the Frozen
4. Corpsecrafter
5. Destruction Retribution
6. Hardened Flesh
7. Necromantic Might
8. Necromantic Presence
9. Nimble Bones
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:10:39 AM by tylernwn1991 »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Augment Summoning and Beckon the Frozen affect it since Gate is a Conjuration summoning spell.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Augment Summoning and Beckon the Frozen affect it since Gate is a Conjuration summoning spell.

Thank you very much.

I wasn't sure if those feats counted for this spell. The information is greatly appreciated.

DM Sinister

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Lord
Interesting side note: Do those feats also have an impact on the those summond from the Shadow realm? Such as a Death Clerics Shadow?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
They do not. The feats apply to summons by regular spells.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Interesting side note: Do those feats also have an impact on the those summond from the Shadow realm? Such as a Death Clerics Shadow?

From my own research, no feat affects the summon shadow ability apart from Shadow Affinity

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
It's essentially all in the spell descriptions.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
It's essentially all in the spell descriptions.

If you used conjuration to summon the creature then the feats requiring conjuration focus are the ones that apply. If you used  necromancy to get your summon, then the feats requiring necromancy focus are the ones that apply. Lastly, if you used something else to call them (conjure shadow), then none of these feats apply.

In hindsight this is obvious, and I would go so far as to say that it is actually well designed. However it can be a little confusing the first time you try to figure it all out. Especially because of the below cases:

1. Conjure shadow which uses its own different feat line.
2. Augment summoning doesn't affect elementals (I assume) since there is also an augment elementals feat. However elementals are conjured using a summoning spell (summon IX, VIII, VII). Assuming this is how those work.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:57:04 AM by tylernwn »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
Conjuration feats affect the Summon I-IX feats (including elementals). Only exception is Beckon the Frozen which won’t work on fire elementals. Shadows are covered by Shadow Affinity.

JustMonika

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
So if you use the 9th level spell 'Shades' to summon an elemental, that elemental is only affected by Shadow Affinity, or lack thereof, and is not affected by the respective conjuration feats?

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
So if you use the 9th level spell 'Shades' to summon an elemental, that elemental is only affected by Shadow Affinity, or lack thereof, and is not affected by the respective conjuration feats?

I would assume this amount of granularity hasn't been coded for.

However by the rules as intended, I think that such a summon (from shades) would benefit from none of these feats. The summon is not a shadow (only the spell is), and the spell summoning it is from the illusion school instead of the conjuration/necromancy ones. So it overlaps with none of these feat descriptions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:24:02 AM by tylernwn »

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power

Good point; it's an oversight we'll fix.

TheFury

• Undead Slayer
  • "As you can see, Drew is the server bully."-Deceit
To echo tyler's statement:

By the SRD flavor, Shades is similar to Shadow Conjuration--which both only create an illusory duplicate of the creature in question. It's an illusion spell for a reason, and while it lacks the will-save-to-disbelieve it has by pen and paper, that's the reason the spell does not benefit from conjuration abilities. You're not actually summoning anything, just making an illusion.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:11:04 AM by TheFury »
Get yourself a weapon that spits unending fire.
Discord Info: Kaithas#7352
Inactive. PM me for Trentor Atiens.
Happy Ending Offenders: Famorra Arendayel, Kymil Lornenil.