Author Topic: Do any human subraces provide a stat change?  (Read 2542 times)

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Do any human subraces provide a stat change?
« on: February 13, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if any human based races that are available on the server have an associated stat change (for example how elves get +2 dex -2 con, Gray Elves get +2 dex +2 int -2 con -cha, etc)?

Human subraces:
  • Aasimar : +2 Wisdom +2 Charisma
  • Tiefling : +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, –2 Charisma.
  • Half Vistani : +2 Wisdom -2 Charisma
  • Xephs provide -2 str, +2 dex, Darkvison, Expeditious Retreat (Racial) from eberron.
  • Any others : ??
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:27:43 PM by tylernwn »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Do any human subraces provide a stat change?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
Aren't Half Vistani human?

ETA: "The Vistani are, in actuality, not a demihuman race. Rather, they are completely human in all regards.."

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 10:22:01 AM »
Aren't Half Vistani human?

ETA: "The Vistani are, in actuality, not a demihuman race. Rather, they are completely human in all regards.."

Thanks, added it to my short list.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:01:08 AM »
Not that the policy is very compelling to me personally, but I think these adjustments are supposed to be a secret & something you live with when selecting your character Of course, the people serious about getting them probably know and have a specific build in mind anyway...
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 11:04:17 AM »
Not that the policy is very compelling to me personally, but I think these adjustments are supposed to be a secret & something you live with when selecting your character Of course, the people serious about getting them probably know and have a specific build in mind anyway...

Well I can just try out every single (non application) subrace, but then I will just have a character select menu that is filled with characters I won't use.

In my case I do have a specific build in mind. I just want to see what other options are out there.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:23:04 AM by tylernwn1991 »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »
Or you may just list down your options and track the source material. Not only will this give you an idea of what may be their abilities but you will also get the background info to properly roleplay the subrace.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
Or you may just list down your options and track the source material. Not only will this give you an idea of what may be their abilities but you will also get the background info to properly roleplay the subrace.

I guess I can Alt + Tab and look up the names of the subraces. And possibly just remake the character with a space in front of their name in case it somehow doesn't turn out the way I expected.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 02:05:26 AM »
Personally, I think avoiding releasing this information on the PoTM Wiki is just asking for people to remake characters who don't have the stats they want. It's a game, in the end, and these characters at a 1-year minimum commitment to 20.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
Honestly? Frankly yes seeking the source material does encourage a player to learn the lore and system true. But, think of buying a game and it didn't have a manual or utorial to explain how to play or all they little buffs and debuffers meant or what class or races do and don't? It can be a bit frustrating to play blindly. You end up spensing more time searching and not kniw id the data in your search is presumed or even accurate.

Prefered we as players would like to know what we are building or getting ourselves into. Genuinely, only really young kids jump in the fray od the unknown. And in a game like PotM jumping into the unknown can be lethal lol.

I recommend contacting a DM really. I'm not certain if posting subrace stats is wrong persay but it is beneficial for some people who wish to know or learning.

Just a recommendation but I would look up the resource for third edition Ravenloft Eratta or Beyond the Mists these may help with the diffrent human types you may be looking for. Whether they plug an play friendly might be better for a Developer to aid in that.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
Honestly? Frankly yes seeking the source material does encourage a player to learn the lore and system true. But, think of buying a game and it didn't have a manual or utorial to explain how to play or all they little buffs and debuffers meant or what class or races do and don't? It can be a bit frustrating to play blindly. You end up spensing more time searching and not kniw id the data in your search is presumed or even accurate.

Prefered we as players would like to know what we are building or getting ourselves into. Genuinely, only really young kids jump in the fray od the unknown. And in a game like PotM jumping into the unknown can be lethal lol.

I recommend contacting a DM really. I'm not certain if posting subrace stats is wrong persay but it is beneficial for some people who wish to know or learning.

Just a recommendation but I would look up the resource for third edition Ravenloft Eratta or Beyond the Mists these may help with the diffrent human types you may be looking for. Whether they plug an play friendly might be better for a Developer to aid in that.

Well I quite enjoy the server, and I can see keeping an air of mystery about things being a good policy in general. Its certainly creates a sense of adventure and the unknown that I can live with even if there are casualties in terms of convenience. Though there should probably be an option to reselect your subrace in the OOC room before starting the game; Or otherwise to delete characters (which is a whole other decade long debate), with this policy in place.

As for identifying what traits certain subraces have, I think trial and error is the only real way to get to the bottom of this. Yesterday I tried searching through all the human subraces, and I can safely say that most of them do not return any google results. Only the very popular and well known ones (basically the ones in my original post) return stat blocks.

For example almost none of the human denominations in the ravenloft setting had any result (the only exception was half vistani). If you look up Gundarkite, Barovian, Dementlieu, you just get some background about the setting and population. I am going to assume that none of these other subraces have any stat/skill/misc adjustments.

I also have no idea if Planar human or Athasian Human have any adjustments because again, google was not very helpful.

So if you are dying to know whats out there, you just need to make a character for every subrace. And if you are not as curious, then just play settings that you know.

Either way, the policy is to not publish this information. If it was meant to be common knowledge, the devs would have released these details a long time ago.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:22:42 PM by tylernwn1991 »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 03:05:17 AM »
http://dnd.arkalseif.info/

This is an excellent place to look into if you're after information on D&D stuff. It references the source and gives you the information word for word. Google tends to hit on 5e things more often than not.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 08:44:16 AM »
For example almost none of the human denominations in the ravenloft setting had any result (the only exception was half vistani). If you look up Gundarkite, Barovian, Dementlieu, you just get some background about the setting and population. I am going to assume that none of these other subraces have any stat/skill/misc adjustments.

These are not sub_races just nationalities

Building out off the mists

StreetSamurai

• Outlander
  • Isle of Sartosa
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 03:12:10 PM »
Xephs provide -2 str, +2 dex, Darkvison, Expeditious Retreat (Racial) from eberron.

Aphrusas provide a straight plus 2 cha, dorkvison, and some kind of immunity from wildspace at ECL 1.

iirc these are the only human subraces that provide anything special besides the one you mentioned that don't require an app.

but proper protocol is to get a clique that'll tell you this over discord or else you'll get smirked on.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:19:00 PM by StreetSamurai »
now with 100% less rvt

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 03:23:55 PM »
Xephs provide -2 str, +2 dex, Darkvison, Expeditious Retreat (Racial) from eberron.

Aphrusas provide a straight plus 2 cha, dorkvison, and some kind of immunity from wildspace at ECL 1.

iirc these are the only human subraces that provide anything special besides the one you mentioned that don't require an app.

but proper protocol is to get a clique that'll tell you this over discord or else you'll get smirked on.

Thanks, that's pretty useful. And I haven't explored the discord yet, but it seems like I should start since I have a lot of questions of this kind of nature.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 03:29:15 PM by tylernwn1991 »