You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Vistani Captain missing  (Read 1265 times)

StreetSamurai

• Outlander
  • Isle of Sartosa
Vistani Captain missing
« on: February 11, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »
Hey, the Vistani Captain at the tser pools has been missing for prolonged periods of time and it's especially disruptive because there's no way to mist walk to other domains. I'm not sure why this is happening though does anyone know what's causing it? Letting the area reset doesn't seem to work.
now with 100% less rvt

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Vistani Captain missing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
AFAIK its not a bug. Strahd has currently closed his borders and since the Vistani work for Strahd they are compiling with his orders.

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 03:07:20 PM »
Yar, been confirmed by the DMs that this is plot-related. Travel to Barovia should not be possible either, but technically not doable atm.

Glowfire

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 03:26:00 PM »
I think it would be very useful of the DMs to make a post every time the mistways are closed (and re-opened) so that it can avoid OOC confusion. I didn't see any announcement this time around but there might have been one made in-game at the moment it happened which IMO isn't enough.
Liss Santraeger - "Life is a song. Don't be scared to sing along."
Eglantine Desrosiers - "A rose is still a rose, even if it has only one petal left."

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 03:31:59 PM »
I'm fine with a little more uncertainty in the game.

I realize this is purely personal preference, but the setting is supposed to be unsettling. And nothing is more comfortable than routine and predictability.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »

I realize this is purely personal preference, but the setting is supposed to be unsettling. And nothing is more comfortable than routine and predictability.

There should probably be a new npc there though, that explains that the caravan service has been stopped. Or the whole camp should be gone. Having a single npc missing is definitely more in line with a bug.

Crowl

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 04:00:33 PM »
I agree with the last post from tylernwn1991. There should be at least a new line of dialogue to let you know it's a feature and not a bug. It's hard to tell otherwise.
Playing: Maeldwen Erynaedh/Irach

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 04:03:43 PM »

There should probably be a new npc there though, that explains that the caravan service has been stopped. Or the whole camp should be gone. Having a single npc missing is definitely more in line with a bug.

Perhaps most of the time this is true.

The time I encountered it, it was obviously not a bug by the changes to the camp. But I don't know if this has carried over through resets as EO mentioned in chat that adding something to carry over through resets is a hassle. Given that this disappearance has happened a few times in recent memory now, though, I personally wouldn't think it was a bug.

Communication travels pretty fast among the player base IMO.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

FoogooFish

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 05:10:23 PM »
I spent a good twenty minutes last night helping another new-ish player at the Mist Camp, because my PC had just gotten off the caravan from Dementlieu and then the caravan NPC was absent. We legitimately thought it was a bug, and I encouraged the other PC to send a message on the DM channel asking for assistance. Absent any new IC posts and/or Discord announcements, it becomes rather difficult for players joining the game well after an IG shout to automatically know what's happening.
Player of:

Éverine Beaulieu - Portrait
Mhairi Merula Shuttleworth - Portrait

StreetSamurai

• Outlander
  • Isle of Sartosa
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 05:10:54 PM »
Oh if it's part of a plot then that makes it easier to swallow I guess. I hope to see a tyrant mage go throughout Barovia for people other than the plot and can't wait to see the grim consequences unfold!

So does this mean we're not supposed to use the wagon if we could make the server reset?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:14:36 PM by StreetSamurai »
now with 100% less rvt

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 06:25:23 PM »
Probably not, but a significant chunk of people who will use the wagon when the server resets are not going to have any idea if the borders are open again, anyway.

I guess this is the grim consequence. Anyway, not to spoil it, but when and if you learn why the borders were closed in the first place, you're going to laugh.

So that's something to look forward to.

No idea if DMs can create dialogue options on NPCs but I agree that it would have been nice to have a sign fixed on the wagon or something which said "Borders Closed, Travel Not Possible" or something like that. A player carpenter will probably have to do it, despite the fact it's technically ignoring NPCs.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 06:38:27 PM »
The vistani captain is missing due to Strahd closing the borders of Barovia. The mists rose around the land making travel out of Barovia impossible for the time being. It might change within the next days.  ;)

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 07:02:17 PM »
The mists rose around the land making travel out of Barovia impossible for the time being.

The Mistways are open.  I know they were closed the first time this plot kicked off, so they may need to be fixed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:09:00 PM by FinalHeaven »

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 02:41:22 AM »
Thanks - seems the server crash opened them again. I'll fix that.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 09:58:21 AM »
Not a bug, so moving this to Fixed.