Author Topic: Server Reset Voting  (Read 1269 times)

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
Server Reset Voting
« on: February 09, 2020, 07:36:41 PM »
With the large influx of console players, we find ourselves in a situation where there are a lot of players who cannot vote on resets and this tilts the balance, sometimes to the detriment of everyone, to the "No Reset" side.

Suggestion:

Count active voters as 2 points toward the option they desire.

Count the non-voters as 1 point toward the "no" side as they currently do.

--Matticus
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

Glass Cannon

• Dark Power
  • Friendly Merchant
Re: Server Reset Voting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 07:59:47 PM »
I definitely think there should be some weighting on non-voters so that their vote is counted at some fraction of a full vote. Even if it's a high fraction like 75% or 80%.  But they should not count as 100%.

Because the current system doesn't incentivise participation for No voters, and that's bad.  It means that any sort of decision where the "Mehs" win it is unclear and not necessarily popular.

Results like this:

.. merely frustrate "Yes" voters because, rather than having clearly lost a collective decision, they feel they are defeated more by apathy or disinterest than anything else.
"Aristocrats and criminals have a lot in common. They’re both selfish, get bored easily, and have access to wads of cash they didn’t have to work honestly to get. The topper? Neither have any interest in bourgeois rules or morality."

RestingLichFace

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:03:37 PM »
I am definitely on a strong side 'for' Matticus's solution.  Often the server needs a reset but botches due to those not voting or those who cannot.  It would be really beneficial to work this system out to be utilized properly again.

Crowl

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 08:09:56 PM »
There's an easy fix to this if we cannot differentiate console players from pc players. Count 'no vote' as a yes. If you don't want a reset, simply vote no. It's anonymous anyways.
Playing: Maeldwen Erynaedh/Irach

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:16:37 PM »
Console players can vote just like anyone else; if they couldn't type at all they wouldn't get past the first area since you need to set a password.

Ultimately the fact that most don't bother to vote indicates that it's not a pressing issue for them; resets should be done when a clear majority really feels affected. As for lag, resets generally don't solve them; heck we had one a day and a half ago and people were complaining a few hours after that it was lagging. Lag is mostly caused by your connection to the server (something you can test by trying to ping the server) and the number of players online (more players mean more activity, more activities/scripts running at the same time). We've doubled our player counts in the past few weeks, that's the main reason why it's been laggier.

StreetSamurai

• Outlander
  • Isle of Sartosa
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 08:24:35 PM »
There's players that AFK in the OOC room all day.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:28:42 PM by StreetSamurai »
now with 100% less rvt

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »

I know nothing about the tech side of things, but if they are afk in the OOC lounge, then they aren't triggering any scripts, which shouldn't add to lag?

Last night was pretty bad though. Some folk came into MC and were all "anyone want to go on an adventure?" My IC thought is 'hell yeah, sign me up!' My OOC thought is, "can we actually do a fight with 3-5 seconds lag from mere chat messages?" SO I opted not to. Reset happened, and latency was gone, and game was playable :-D

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:23:36 AM »

I know nothing about the tech side of things, but if they are afk in the OOC lounge, then they aren't triggering any scripts, which shouldn't add to lag?

I think the point here was that these players are unlikely to know a vote is occurring.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 06:47:36 PM »
I think there's a mistake in our assumptions here.

Knowing that not voting now qualifies as a "no" vote means I simply do not vote anymore when I do not want a reset.

I can't speak to how many people do the same, but it would certainly account for the large number of apparent "non-voters". The possibility of this logic informing voting behaviour makes conclusions drawn based on non-voter turnout questionable.

We have the current voting system because the old one was abused. I'm in support of it remaining as is.

Perhaps, for the sake of clarity, we could simply change the language and structure of voting? Vote yes for a reset, with no option to "no" vote.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 12:27:42 AM »
I think there's a mistake in our assumptions here.

Knowing that not voting now qualifies as a "no" vote means I simply do not vote anymore when I do not want a reset.

I can't speak to how many people do the same, but it would certainly account for the large number of apparent "non-voters". The possibility of this logic informing voting behaviour makes conclusions drawn based on non-voter turnout questionable.

We have the current voting system because the old one was abused. I'm in support of it remaining as is.

Perhaps, for the sake of clarity, we could simply change the language and structure of voting? Vote yes for a reset, with no option to "no" vote.

+1 I'm all for this. I don't even vote anymore because I know a no-vote is a vote for no. People are initiating these votes almost every hour sometimes, and much like Discord messages and even Tells, I ignore them or forget about them because I'm immersed in my current roleplay.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 01:15:41 AM »
I suggested this in the original thread that led to the change because it supports conscientious voting: you have 5 minutes to vote yes, or learn about why you should vote yes. If you never get a reason why, you never have to vote.

We knew this would have some consequences, and we knew the server would be up long enough to crash sometimes, but we also knew it'd lead to less daily restarts. Iterative change is good. The next iteration of the reset vote might turn out to be preferable to what we have now.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Derek Jeter

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 02:48:28 AM »
Well what's the point of voting no if no vote is literally no? Maybe make 2 no votes a no. Because right now it seems theres a lot of afkers or something when the server is exploding.