Author Topic: Suggestions for 'Philosophical' Deity  (Read 1403 times)

Misty

• New to the Mists
Suggestions for 'Philosophical' Deity
« on: January 23, 2020, 02:44:59 AM »
I'm looking for suggestions for a deity revolving around what you might call 'deep insight' or 'meta knowledge' about the nature of the world and its inhabitants, and perhaps a dogma to help others gain nuanced insights and new perspectives that will help them live better. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:46:58 AM by Misty »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Suggestions for 'Philosophical' Deity
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 02:46:56 AM »
Oghma is the classic Faerun god that might fit the bill...  https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Oghma
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Misty

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 02:54:14 AM »
Oghma seems a little off, in that it seems to revolve around indiscriminate variety of knowledge of all kinds. Its dogma involves things that I would consider going 'off-track' of the type of 'knowledge' I'm referring to. I was hoping there might be possibilities a bit more tailored to that. I think Selune and Hala are a little closer, with their type of philosophical, almost mystical, 'life insight', but I was wondering if there was something even more focused on that.

Muzz02

• The Underworld
  • New to the Mists
  • I am really just very tired
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 02:59:36 AM »
If you don't mind using a reasonably obscure setting, the Eye Opener from the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting is a much more wisdom/philosophy-aligned god:
https://dangerous-kalamar-4.obsidianportal.com/wikis/eye-opener

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 03:03:46 AM »
Literally Lathander can be as focused on the the aspect of self-improvement, world knowledge, and whatever else you want it to be.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 04:44:30 AM »
When I was trying to create Yogi concept in the Forgotten Realms, I came across the philosophy and way of life of "The Adama" in the Shining Lands. It corresponds to Indian culture, reaching enlightenment, finding truth and attain unity with existence. Then because I felt picking a single god didn't fit the concept of unity, the one, acceptance and truth etc. I looked into the Zakharan pantheon and found the Temple of Ten Thousand Gods. Some gods in the Zakharan pantheon would also be relevant. The Temple of Ten Thousand Gods would be interesting to see played out here.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:39:05 AM »
for the type of knowledge you are going for I would recommend a native faith, most of which can rather easily accomadate focusing on delving into the lore of the setting.

There are some that are explicitly about knowledge and philosophy like the third sect of Ezra, Hala,Thoth(Akiri pantheon) and Divinity of Mankind. Then there are deities which have knowledge as their domain that while not explicitly about philosophy but do have the knowledge domain that can encourage it, so faiths like the The Ancestral Choir, Tvashtri(Rajian), and the Eternal Order.  I could even see a Morninglordian or Lawgiver focus on learning about the world and its secrets and philosophy.

But yea if you are wanting a faith to learn about the setting's mysteries, I think the best route is a native faith.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 10:39:35 AM »
I'd suggest Zivilyn, Krynnish god of wisdom, enligthenment and insight. Introspection more than knowledge is his realm.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 03:29:07 PM »
Something obscure but canon...

From Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends first chapter To inherit Eternity:

“This is Father Daniel
Marcus Franklin. Father Daniel is with the Order
of Eleazar, a small sect that takes pride in the
pursuit and preservation of the arts and sciences.”
A deep hearty laugh erupts from the swarthy
giant. “Ah, Señor Ramirez, not so; pride is a sin! Let
us say we have a passion for knowledge and beauty
in our efforts to bring enlightenment to the world
and in our never-ending battle against the forces of
darkness.”

Since there are no stats or anything its not a religion for divine casters but might be as a religion for others

Building out off the mists