Author Topic: Monk's ocr and glowing eyes  (Read 1008 times)

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
Monk's ocr and glowing eyes
« on: January 19, 2020, 03:53:44 AM »
Hello,

After doing some research on monk's perfect self ability or their ascention to native outsider status I haven't found any mentions of these glowing eyes monk get at 20, which blow up her ocr. It seems to be purely invention of BioWare, having nothing in common with 3.5 pnp rules PoTM server follow.

I've been told that the glowing is directly tied to Perfect Self feat, thus making it difficult to remove if that feat is hard-coded.

So, if a member of development team could clarify mechanical aspect of glowing removal and DM would double check source books to confirm my idea that there should not be glowing at all, I'd expect monk's ocr to be altered.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
Re: Monk's ocr and glowing eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 02:12:20 PM »
Seems like the locals would go bananas over how fast the monks move anyway.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 02:27:17 PM »
20th level monks are Outsiders, so I think the OCR comes from that, regardless of the eye glow. (Part of being an Outsider is also Darkvision?)

As far as 3.5:

Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature; its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection don’t work on an outsider.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Outsider_Type

Elevated OCR doesn't seem too bad a penalty compared to raise dead and resurrection no longer working on your PC.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »
20th level monks are Outsiders, so I think the OCR comes from that, regardless of the eye glow. (Part of being an Outsider is also Darkvision?)

As far as 3.5:

Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature; its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection don’t work on an outsider.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Outsider_Type

Elevated OCR doesn't seem too bad a penalty compared to raise dead and resurrection no longer working on your PC.

An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
That's the line from the same article you've linked, so it's not a thing.

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 02:38:59 PM »
https://prnt.sc/qpx832

That's what I heard from EO and it made me give this a bit of thought. There's nothing written in source books (nothing that I've found) about visual difference of ascended monk from species of their former race.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 03:29:40 PM »
I think it'd be right if the glowing eyes and the elevated speed could be turned on and off. They should be able to appear completely normal.

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 03:33:31 PM »
Solution for walking speed had been found not so long ago, it's @walk normal command. I believe, a class like monk would have enough control on her body, enough for controlling movement speed  :)

The issue with the eyes is a bit different, the way I see it monks should never get those glowing eyes. As I said above, it's just BioWare being silly.

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 04:01:24 AM »
One week passed. I am giving this a bump and waiting for dev reply.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 07:16:32 AM »
Perfect Self is hardcoded. Glowing eyes will remain and thus the OCR. This will be reviewed if Beamdog ever unhardcode it.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.