You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Dropped Enchanted Weapons  (Read 3287 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Dropped Enchanted Weapons
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 12:18:08 PM »
Sorry, I can see how I might have been unclear.  I certainly think it's valid to perceive this as PvP escalation.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 12:18:51 PM »
Sorry, I can see how I might have been unclear.  I certainly think it's valid to perceive this as PvP escalation.

Indeed, it is, and then if the other refuses to hand it back, well you can either kill them, torture them, etc. It's all IC really.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »
Yeah, updated my post to get to the previous point. It's a one-sided problem. The initial aggressor has the ability to steal the weapon but the other person has no recourse if the aggressor hides it in his inventory. It's not very fair.

The principle here is that death and defeat should have some consequences -- currently, that includes the risk of losing your equipped weapon and your gold bag.

What alternative consequences might be imposed? Should exceptions be made specifically for enchanted gear? What about other, highly valuable gear that may drop (e.g. grandfathered or super rare 1% drop items)? Those might also potentially represent hard work, months of grind to hit that 1% drop; or may be literally irreplaceable.

So where exactly do you draw the line between fair and unfair consequences?

(These questions aren't rhetorical, by the way.  I'm genuinely curious to hear what alternative ideas people might propose.  But the current system exists for a reason...)

Losing an enchanted weapon and shield would certainly suck a great deal and set back a character a couple of months of graft.  But the irony here is that an enchanted weapon is virtually of no real value to anyone but its original owner (apart from bragging rights).  If my paladin loses his Calesvol sword to a thief, the thief will easily find people to sell it to afterwards.  If I get my enchanted sword stolen, only trophy hunters might buy it.  I'd wager it would be easier to get the enchanted sword back.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 01:06:02 PM »
Yeah, updated my post to get to the previous point. It's a one-sided problem. The initial aggressor has the ability to steal the weapon but the other person has no recourse if the aggressor hides it in his inventory. It's not very fair.

The principle here is that death and defeat should have some consequences -- currently, that includes the risk of losing your equipped weapon and your gold bag.

What alternative consequences might be imposed? Should exceptions be made specifically for enchanted gear? What about other, highly valuable gear that may drop (e.g. grandfathered or super rare 1% drop items)? Those might also potentially represent hard work, months of grind to hit that 1% drop; or may be literally irreplaceable.

(These questions aren't rhetorical, by the way.  I'm genuinely curious to hear what alternative ideas people might propose.  But the current system exists for a reason...)

Losing an enchanted weapon and shield would certainly suck a great deal and set back a character a couple of months of graft.  But the irony here is that an enchanted weapon is virtually of no real value to anyone but its original owner (apart from bragging rights).  If my paladin loses his Calesvol sword to a thief, the thief will easily find people to sell it to afterwards.  If I get my enchanted sword stolen, only trophy hunters might buy it.  I'd wager it would be easier to get the enchanted sword back.

My problem isn't with the act or that it might be the consequence of something, it's just that there's no mechanical support for this to go both ways. If we had some sort of system where we could rummage through a person's inventory and take back things that have been stolen, I'd be all for it. But we don't, so it becomes sort of tangled to allow things to be taken one way but then rely on DMs to claim them back the other way.
: )

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 01:16:12 PM »
The few situations in which "Hand it over or else" doesn't work that require DMs to see whether anything is unfair...I don't think it happens often enough to warrant Devs creating a new system. In some scenario every system is going to be viewed as unfair. 

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Hypatia

• Undead Master
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 02:33:34 PM »
Well you can’t ooc force someone to drop your weapon from their inventory, but you can negotiate/threaten them to get them to do it. Nobody wants to be corpse hidden at the end of the world.

Relapse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 06:05:21 PM »
I think most people would be surprised that I raised this thread as a acquirer and not someone who lost their weapons. The trigger for this thread was me stumbling across someone else's dropped enchanted weapons without a body and the earnest dragging process of trying to get these back to their owner IC because they play in an opposite timezone. If i'm being honest, i'm not enjoying it.. just like I do not enjoy dragging someone's body back to a healer and paying for their resurrection when they're not even online to RP it out. Do I have to do it? No, but it's what my character would expect a decent person to do. If I didn't they would have been lost in the server reset - There is nothing fun about that. Pvp isn't even a factor.

I find the notion of someone dropping their weapon leading to quality roleplay a bit romanticised, even if they are obtained by another individual due to the very real consequences for stealing I think more likely than not that weapon would never be seen again, especially with how easy it is to get away with it since there's no way to identify a stolen object. If someone wants to go down that path of roleplay they could always demand it to avoid PvP and then it is at least the player's choice to engage or not.  But that is only one scenario, equally likely is if someone is alone and killed that their items are obtained by a casual player or someone who can't be bothered and never seen again, dumped in the trash or lost in a server reset.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »
Spoiler: show
I think most people would be surprised that I raised this thread as a acquirer and not someone who lost their weapons. The trigger for this thread was me stumbling across someone else's dropped enchanted weapons without a body and the earnest dragging process of trying to get these back to their owner IC because they play in an opposite timezone. If i'm being honest, i'm not enjoying it.. just like I do not enjoy dragging someone's body back to a healer and paying for their resurrection when they're not even online to RP it out. Do I have to do it? No, but it's what my character would expect a decent person to do. If I didn't they would have been lost in the server reset - There is nothing fun about that. Pvp isn't even a factor.

I find the notion of someone dropping their weapon leading to quality roleplay a bit romanticised, even if they are obtained by another individual due to the very real consequences for stealing I think more likely than not that weapon would never be seen again, especially with how easy it is to get away with it since there's no way to identify a stolen object. If someone wants to go down that path of roleplay they could always demand it to avoid PvP and then it is at least the player's choice to engage or not.  But that is only one scenario, equally likely is if someone is alone and killed that their items are obtained by a casual player or someone who can't be bothered and never seen again, dumped in the trash or lost in a server reset.

It may be romanticized, but the best the Team can do is provide a system that allows players to RP good stories. If players are lazy or prefer not to RP their PCs, it's hard to enforce that through systems.

As far as not enjoying it, a lot of people think good PCs have it easier on this server, that it's much harder to play evil. Perhaps they are correct, but if your PC is doing something not fun but because it's right (and what the PC would do), that's how the scales get balanced. Same with dragging a body to a healer. It comes with the alignment territory.

And if you're doing either because of OOC reasons of just wanting to be helpful to your fellow players, that's because you want to be a RL good person. Which isn't always fun either :D

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 08:28:40 PM »

I've had my characters robbed while they were downed and/or dead. Usually the person doing so is doing it for a very specific reason and is gracious enough to not simply steal all my belongings, which I think is only fair. I generally go along with it when the reasoning seems to be plot oriented. That being said, obviously no one actually has to as it's not a system but something you'd have to agree to.

Either dropping all your items, or having any/all of your items available for anyone who came along to take off of you while you were downed would be wild! Maybe really interesting. Also, I think a lot of people would lose their shit tbh. It would also make rescues much more diffucult when you suddenly have to figure out whether you take just your friend's corpse or their entire, or part of, their inventory. Honestly I don't see something like that happening. Potentially losing your gold and equipped weapons is fairly punishing already.

Not that you were suggesting any of that but it's where your questions led my train of thought at least.

That being said I definitely get where you're coming from about the enchanted items. Personally I never was a fan of locking them to a player, even now that they can have hands changed. But, also, not hugely worried by it.

Spoiler: show

It may be romanticized, but the best the Team can do is provide a system that allows players to RP good stories. If players are lazy or prefer not to RP their PCs, it's hard to enforce that through systems.

As far as not enjoying it, a lot of people think good PCs have it easier on this server, that it's much harder to play evil. Perhaps they are correct, but if your PC is doing something not fun but because it's right (and what the PC would do), that's how the scales get balanced. Same with dragging a body to a healer. It comes with the alignment territory.

And if you're doing either because of OOC reasons of just wanting to be helpful to your fellow players, that's because you want to be a RL good person. Which isn't always fun either :D

Yeah, pretty much!
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar