Author Topic: Test Server Thoughts & "CTE"  (Read 748 times)

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
Test Server Thoughts & "CTE"
« on: January 07, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »
Before I get into this relatively brief post I want to outline some points I am aware of:

1) The test server is more for Developers to test upcoming feats, features, & dungeons.
2) I have been given the impression it isn't a place to test builds (unless you want to use your own character which may be high level).

While at one time the test server did allow you to level up to 20 to test concepts and feats, this no longer is the case. While I am sure the Dev time might do their own internal testing, it seems almost counter intuitive to not allow players to level up and test things thoroughly.

As with many released feats in the past, errors and functionality issues always seemed to make it past initial testing because most people just can't level up enough to get certain feats unless they already have existing characters that can relevel and take them. And then, you have to hope these people go over to test it or have the time to. Newer players that may never get to this point to test higher end feats and dungeons may have valuable feedback on their performance. Even for players who have been on the server for a while with good mechanical knowledge don't get their characters up to that high of a level to also test these features. To lock the ability to test on the server into your live vault is only hindering the range of feedback.

I speak from a slightly biased standpoint in that I actually enjoy testing new things and I would like to see the level bump return. The more people you have testing feats and builds, the more chance you will have in catching game-breaking errors before they make it into the live server. I suggest an "arena" test area with levers to spawn categories of monsters, where people can fight them, and fight each other, to test skills/feats/spells against one another. Only allow people to mess around as level 20s in there, and upon leaving, be de-leveled. I am of the opinion if we want this server to be at its best, a community test environment is essential to reach this goal.
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Philos

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
  • Detruisez tous, c'est une obligation!
Re: Test Server Thoughts & "CTE"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 08:43:40 PM »
So my only question would be is this test arena only going to be available test server or would it have a mirror on the live server as well?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 01:25:57 AM »
The test server has no formal rules or structure. It is a tool for developers to use when and how they need. It is not intended as a permanent preview, nor is it guaranteed we will use it for every change
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:01:15 AM »
The arena test area sounds like it'd be very helpful. Personally, I also like the idea of a more open testing environment, since it means less steps for a dev to get help when they need it from us. Asking us to hop on the server and make a party of level 12s to test out a new mid-level dungeon at max spawn, versus having to do all the work to get us leveled up and get us there, I know which one I'd choose. The idea that the dev could work separately from us, asking us to be ready in 15 minutes while he is doing his thing, and we therefore have 15 minutes to log in, level up, and wait for him to log in, is a very attractive one.

The "pick your level" design could be prevented from spoiling the server for newer players by being passworded when not in use, or that particular feature could be disabled until a dev toggles it.

Given we already test new dungeons in this OOC environment, the feeling of discovery is already going to be lost for those players who do participate. But they have opted in to see something new before getting a chance to check it out IC and (like me) are probably unbothered by spoilers.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
I think something along these lines is a good idea. Phantasia even presented it in a way that prevents testers from using the test server as a means to plot out existing content. Without a level bump, certain interactions are just going to require more steps to test - there are a finite number of people willing or able to test, and of those number only so many have characters of a particular level and build to support testing each combination of new feats.

Some way to better do "integration testing" when we get new bundles of feats and classes would be useful. Right now, even for those characters who can support new features, it mostly boils down to selecting the feature and then looking at the character sheet - it is difficult to actually give a rigorous test to anything, from a player tester perspective. It's really not about drawing back the veil on the IC/OOC mechanics or getting tasty previews of upcoming content.
Vicerimus Mortem.