Author Topic: Dungeons in need of refreshing - Have Your Say  (Read 16576 times)

Kamfrenchie

• The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Undead Master
Re: Dungeons in need of refreshing - Have Your Say
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2020, 01:54:59 AM »
The harvest temple, aside from the tileset problem, just seem to hav too many enemies in:

This is what may cause problems like permanently invisble and undetectable foes.

I'd suggest removing most scorpions, as they're just way toonumerous without being  good challenge or XP, and just create tons of clutter

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2020, 06:16:06 AM »
The harvest temple, aside from the tileset problem, just seem to hav too many enemies in:

This is what may cause problems like permanently invisble and undetectable foes.

I'd suggest removing most scorpions, as they're just way toonumerous without being  good challenge or XP, and just create tons of clutter

Alternatively, it would be neat to see the CR of the Scorpions go up :)
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Haered Gwend

• New to the Mists
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2020, 01:43:04 AM »
The fire snakes burrow is just a mess. Massive hitboxes of individual snakes combined with narrow hallways leads to terrible rubberbanding and glitching even when the server isn't lagging, and I've seen people get teleported behind the mobs due to pathing despite having no way to get back out. If there's any way to modify their outrageous hitbox size, it'd be much more playable for those of us who don't rely on utterly steamrolling it.

This dungeon could be a lot more interesting, featuring a greater variety of enemies, maybe a few open areas and a real boss. For how hard these things can hit players of the appropriate level, it's really difficult to even tell when they attack because of their dated animations. Since they also breathe such potent negative energy (indeed the majority of their damage if you have evasion to nullify the fire) maybe there should be an indication of dark magic influence in the area, or at least in the burrow, but maybe I'm missing the source material that says fire snakes can breathe flames of dark energy? What about some other fire elementals in there you can't just evade all the fire damage from, like say, Magmin? Or fire-based undead? Would a dry lich hole up down here on max spawn?

As it is right now, I'm not sure I see the quality and atmosphere other dungeons boast, nor its gameplay purpose besides maybe alchemy ingredient spam. These enemies are cool, but the technical difficulties experienced when fighting them en masse make this dungeon a chore. Even just a little variety would go a long way in improving it.

+1

Using a halberd, I couldn't reach them. If I tried to stand back and use my bow--in a straight line--I would run right up next to them for no reason and provoke AOOs.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2020, 12:27:25 AM »
hey. very late to the thread.

Instead of refining the existing dungeons, i'd say the mists need to be revamped heavily, or even rethought entirely.

It essentially has the possibility to be an infinite dungeon, and instead of trying to cram stuff into the existing domains, which I'm certain is a hassle - just have tons of action dungeons in the mist. It would be fun to find them, since the current scripting doesn't allow choice.

just a thought. I prefer new over existing.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2020, 02:04:08 AM »
hey. very late to the thread.

Instead of refining the existing dungeons, i'd say the mists need to be revamped heavily, or even rethought entirely.

It essentially has the possibility to be an infinite dungeon, and instead of trying to cram stuff into the existing domains, which I'm certain is a hassle - just have tons of action dungeons in the mist. It would be fun to find them, since the current scripting doesn't allow choice.

just a thought. I prefer new over existing.

The "Depression" zone in the mists has this blocked off cave that I've seen a ton of people wonder about. Seems the perfect place to add a dungeon, ven all the in-character speculation and curiosity
"No, you." -Captain America

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
Some dungeons that need refreshing. I think some have been mentioned before:

1. Crypt behind church in the Barovian Village: I think the loot is in a nice place here, but the spawns are too predictable. There is some variety between low spawn vs max spawn, however the monsters always spawn in the same places in the same quantities. Seeing some Agarats in different locations, and occasionally a grave ooze dropping from the ceiling, might be nice.

2. Werefox cave: It might be nice to see some variability in the enemies here. Perhaps some casters with different spells prepared? Right now when you walk into a group of these, the entire group basically starts performing the exact same spells, and in sequence.
It would be nice if some of them did something else. Having a few werefox summoners that just cast summoning spells might be neat. These guys are full on casters, so why not have randomized groups of casters with perhaps 4-5 different caster types. Each type could be specialized in a different wizarding school with different spells, and that way fighting them could be exciting and unpredictable.

3. Salamander Vault, Har Akir: It would be nice if this area felt more like an ancient Arcane vault. It could have an actual vault in there somewhere that is locked and hard to get into. One that has some strange magical phenomenon that attracts fire creatures.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:13:22 PM by tylernwn »

Kaninchen

• Undead Master
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »
i just ran through the the greater catacombs under the village for the first time. Seems like a place that could use some love. Just some tidbit lore placables would do a lot for the atmosphere, I think. Possibly stuff to answer why there are hell hounds running about the place, haha.  I also noticed tons of bookshelves at the end, but none were things I could inspect to find books!  This made me sad, as lore books are fun!

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2020, 03:09:45 AM »
1. Randomizing spawns, so they are not predictable at certain points.

2. More puzzles to the dungeons that you have to solve as a group, that change so they are not always the same.

Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Yesper

« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2020, 03:39:05 AM »
i just ran through the the greater catacombs under the village for the first time. Seems like a place that could use some love. Just some tidbit lore placables would do a lot for the atmosphere, I think. Possibly stuff to answer why there are hell hounds running about the place, haha.  I also noticed tons of bookshelves at the end, but none were things I could inspect to find books!  This made me sad, as lore books are fun!

I see what you did there. The Well's spawn also seems to increase at slower than the speed of smell.it's at the point where if it isn't somehow at max spawn at reset, it will never reach that spawn. Or if someone clears it.

Sinful Mystic

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
I always thought the Ant's needed a little tweaking. It seems like helping the Halflings nearby would be a quest and killing the queen the quest token. It feels like that was the plan and it was just never wrapped up. I could be off base but even them thanking you and offering you dinner would be a cute twist.
Celynna of Elevashe-inactive
Daly'rae of Zau'duis
Erika Tinescu-inactive

Janarah

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2020, 12:46:19 AM »
Now, I haven't been playing for a good while now. So, I'm messing around on the action server, which is mostly empty and spawns seem maxed. I've found the xp and challenge to be fairly nice thus far after one day working with one other person. It might simply be that the spawns on the main server just don't go up fast enough perhaps? Maybe just tweak the timer and see if faster spawn raising rate helps a little before doing major changes unless it's an obviously lacking dungeon.

I do agree that the thoul dungeon could be longer and more interesting. As well as several other dungeons. I recall when the alhoun had lore things that helped tell you the story way back in the day. . .those should certainly be added back in. I always liked the interesting lore tidbits in dungeons personally, they helped make the experience more meaningful.
The spider caves could always have another level or two added and the loot slightly improved.
The silver mines are. . .well, only good for silver so far as I recall, and the risks for going in there are not rewarded for anything other than the silver mining. It'd be nice if those creatures had special pelts or something. Though I'm not sure that would even tempt most people into a cave where if you even drink a potion you can turn into a statue, go blind, get paralyzed, turn into a fairy, etc, etc.
That monastery up there by the silver mine could use something interesting in it. If there's something already there then cool, but in the past after repeated exploration of it over years I've never found anything remotely of interest.
The ice palace would really benefit from an overhaul like what was done with the liches tower. I bet it would be pretty amazing.
I can't even really comment on sithicus, since I was only able to join in two or three group bits attempting it, and it didn't go well. I look at sithicus as a place to simply go and perma your toon and little else.
The mist is mildly interesting, but it really restricts access to some dungeons. I could see taking a one way trip there and having to mist walk back being a bit more of a better thing. Yeah, I know people might just log and try to exploit a reset.
I can't say much about the pirate island or some other areas, as they just didn't seem terribly interesting. Hazlan had curst and tree eants, but that's all i really recall of any interest there.
Port has the sewers and a smugglers cave that I know of.
Har akir has loads of interesting dungeons.
And other places have some underground and cavern stuff so far as i know with nasty enemies. But the other areas weren't terribly memorable and I hardly had any reason to ever visit them over the years.
Terg is neat and has that old feeling to it, but has any of the lore stuff in it been updated to reflect what's been going on rp wise?
The well is super long, and I think after level 12 or something maybe lower, not worth xp despite the super high checks for secret areas. I think it was in the 60's or 70's for some of the search/spot checks. So, I never really got to see all of its secrets.
The area under the church in barovia village has lots of lower leveled mobs starting out, and then shadowy ones later. Otherwise it's super, super boring and unrewarding. I recall maybe three to five chests of interest, though it's been a while.
There use to be a pretty awesome lower dungeon area in the crypts behind the church, but i think that got blown up with rp?
There's the dungeon in the crypt behind the ml church in the skirts, but for the life of me I can't remember how you get the pass for it. I think it was an npc that got removed at some point, but I might be wrong.
The neuri pirate cave could probably do with a size and appearance upgrade possibly.
The ogre cave in the pass just past midway could certainly use an overhaul in size, traps, mobs, and loot.
I'm not really sure if there are any dungeons in western barovia at this time? It looked like some were going to come about (aside from the variable caves), but I don't recall ever seeing any over there. I know the neuri in that area get pretty friggin nasty.
Actual quests would be nice for some of the dungeons that might improve rep in areas, not sure if that would be a thing on the table. But I would imagine if you helped the locals with fire beetles, or werewolves, or whatnot, then they would be slightly more amiable to you.

You guys have shown you can make interactive and fun dungeons, so I'm sure you'll do it with the standard run and gun ones too if you want.

Also, I did notice briefly that when you attack one thing now, everything else on that floor of the dungeon comes running. That could prove troublesome  for some people.

Mind, I have no idea what's really been changed other than crafting over the past three or so years. But I plan on finding out sooner or later.
"Life is full of mysteries, why can I not be one myself?"
~Nightwolf
Current: Rabbit/ Kalis
Shelved mostly: Sudhri / Atlantia / Radriel/ Herophile Sybil/ Lliannia/ Belia
Closured (dead or other): Marius/ Calous/ Ellana/ Radu/ Ania/ Anica/ Olath

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2020, 12:21:22 AM »
Would be nice if the various kinds of groaning spirits atop Ghakis dropped something craftable (ectoplasm?).

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
Near Fane Forest, there is a werewolf cave and skeleton infested labyrinth. I think both of these dungeons could use some tweaking.

Werewolf Cave:
  Pros:
- Good amount of enemies.

Cons:
- Very straightforward, just a big area, with nothing much to explore.
- A bit short
- Item rewards are not very good.

Recommendation:
Maybe some kind of "leader" werewolf, like a single werewolf alpha (or something?).
It would also be nice to sprinkle a bit of lore around here. Like the journals of werewolves from their human form, describing their curse, why are they in this cave.
Finally, while I do like the number of enemies, I think adding in some greater wolferes here and there, might add just a bit more flavor.

Skeleton Labyrinth:
   Pros:
- Puzzle.

Cons:
- Few enemies
- Very long
- Kind of boring.

Recommendation:
I would start by increasing the number of enemies that spawn in this area by about x5.
I would also add some untrapped loot.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:59:06 AM by tylernwn »

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »
Recommendation:
I would start by increasing the number of enemies that span in this area by about x5. I would also add some untrapped loot.

You might have been there on a low spawn. The skeletal knights can be pretty numerous, and I've fought skeletal lords there as well. On a really high spawn, I think it's possible to get some XP up to 12th level.

It has always seemed balanced to me, in that it can be soloed, but with definite risk at the levels for which you'd get XP.

X5 would be horrendous.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2020, 03:11:09 PM »
Recommendation:
I would start by increasing the number of enemies that span in this area by about x5. I would also add some untrapped loot.

You might have been there on a low spawn. The skeletal knights can be pretty numerous, and I've fought skeletal lords there as well. On a really high spawn, I think it's possible to get some XP up to 12th level.

It has always seemed balanced to me, in that it can be soloed, but with definite risk at the levels for which you'd get XP.

X5 would be horrendous.

It was probably low spawn then. During my visit I was only seeing groups of 3-4 skeletal warriors with maybe one knight, and they were pretty spread out.

Yesper

« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2020, 12:53:13 PM »
I would suggest tweaks to the rate spawns climb overall, especially in dungeons that are notoriously slow to increase in spawn. The Well is probably the best/worst example I've seen of this - no players have cleared the place since the last reset and there has been no increase in the spawn level. Either it's broken or it's just a very sad panda.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2020, 01:02:51 AM »
The sewer bounty in Port that pays 3,100 is far too easy for high levels.

I hate to post this as it's a good source of steady income for my PC, but I literally can collect it in 10 minutes or less of effort with zero risk.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2020, 01:29:20 AM »

I hate to post this as it's a good source of steady income for my PC, but I literally can collect it in 10 minutes or less of effort with zero risk.

I dunno about that. I've seen highbies get smacked around something fierce by that bounty. Hell, dragged a fully buffed level 19 wizard outta there once.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2020, 01:38:06 AM »

I dunno about that. I've seen highbies get smacked around something fierce by that bounty. Hell, dragged a fully buffed level 19 wizard outta there once.

Perhaps it's only easy for clerics? But for my PC it's easy peasie.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2020, 02:10:43 AM »

Just wanted to make sure you are both talking about the same Port Sewer a bounty. In my experience, the bounty for 3,100 solars is much easier than the bounty for 2,300 solars. I would recommend switching these bounty values.

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2020, 02:13:41 AM »

Just wanted to make sure you are both talking about the same Port Sewer a bounty. In my experience, the bounty for 3,100 solars is much easier than the bounty for 2,300 solars. I would recommend switching these bounty values.

The worker's lodge bounty has a much higher pay out from all the loot in the place. It's already the more valuable of the two bounties.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2020, 02:16:19 AM »
The workers lodge seems plenty difficult in my opinion, it’s difficult to solo on a lvl appropriate mundane character. The gang hideout is very easy though. Pretty sure I got paid more for the gang bounty (not counting other loot) than for the workers lodge bounty.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2020, 02:40:31 AM »
I used to do the workers lodge bounty. Then I discovered the other. Yes the values should be reversed.

That the workers lodge is almost always available tells you which is more difficult.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2020, 02:55:19 AM »
I would love to see the Grimeshka cave reviewed, DC 21 chest, 2 lootable spots...no real lore behind the cave, yet they have huts that aren't used and don't really make sense for them? Perhaps something similar? Goblins?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2020, 11:16:13 PM »
I would suggest tweaks to the rate spawns climb overall, especially in dungeons that are notoriously slow to increase in spawn. The Well is probably the best/worst example I've seen of this - no players have cleared the place since the last reset and there has been no increase in the spawn level. Either it's broken or it's just a very sad panda.

I'll bump this one up.