Author Topic: Dungeons in need of refreshing - Have Your Say  (Read 16608 times)

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
Re: Dungeons in need of refreshing - Have Your Say
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 08:16:55 AM »
Salt Mines. The loot seems moderately worse than the far easier Barrows. Got nearly a dozen Rods of Frost both times I went, and I'd expect at least double that given the risks involved.

The loot is bad because too many people ninjaloot it. If nobody did, the loot would be great when someone went to clear the dungeon.

False. It's not exactly how it works.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 08:36:27 AM »
Spoiler: show
Do not nerf the xp on dungeons that give it please. I think a lot of other things need a boost instead. I just made a new character with friends, it was frustrating trying to find dungeons that gave XP compared to the investment into them. And a lot of the decent areas are often frequented, so we'd come in to find things at low spawn.

Another issue is a lot of dungeons have resources in them. Like the sullen woods are farmed by people who want the alchemy reagents, leaving it at low spawn if higher levels are grinding out alchemy.

As for locations:
Grimishka caves: You barely from them even at level 2.

The giant winding tunnels under Vallaki/the forest: Very little xp at level appropriate levels. It was still a challenge to take on, especially if black puddings had spawned, but gave very little xp compared to the difficulty. I think all slimes could have their XP amount increased, they are not worth killing for a lot of classes because of the damage they do to equipment, the splitting, the equipment stripping, the unnerfed true seeing, the bludgeoning requirement, and so forth. They're a very difficult creature that have a lot of tricks to them, that gives very little in reward for defeating them.

Random caves: Often didn't give XP to make them worthwhile. Too hard to do at level 2 or 3, but by the time we were level 4 or 5 we weren't getting much XP from it, or no XP at all. A lot of the dungeon content around Vallaki consists of random caves, too. There's something like six random spawn caves that aren't worth doing except for the bandit bounty.

Sullen Woods: The shadow wolves and lesser shadow wolves cast dispel, which makes them impossible at low levels. We weren't even getting decent xp from it compared to the added difficulty that dispel added. The area has shadow rats too, which gave very little xp despite being around things that added a lot of challenge to the area.

Seconding that spiders don't give enough XP for the difficulty.

The hidden trap door fortress on the Svalich road: Much like other random spawn caves, the spiders/ogres/bandits/heaven forbid slimes don't give enough XP versus the challenge. Offhand I want to say that the more difficult random spawn caves (such as on Ghakis or north of the lake) give ok XP and loot. If you can change the fortress to use those spawns instead, it might be a better dungeon. But this is off memory, I haven't done the newer harder random cave spawns in a while.

Ogres on the road: Often at high spawn because nobody wants to kill them. It might be nice to make it worth killing them. There's not a whole lot of them, boost the XP they give so if it actually does get to a higher level spawn it'd be something people passing through could get excited for rather than running through and pretending the ogres don't exist.

Vegepygmies: Terrifying noob trap. Someone I know who tried the server had a negative experience as a noob, they were exploring while invisible and got killed by their unnerfed trueseeing, and left the server. Vegepygmies are sort of difficult and can do a lot of ranged damage quickly, and give absolutely no xp to make them worthwhile. I don't know if this has changed in recent years, it's high risk enough that I don't like going down there. I made the mistake of going down there at low level too when I was initially exploring the server.

People have mentioned the Village dungeons. I think the dungeons are fine, the issue is the xp is not good despite the challenge and the loot is bad. For example, the infamous well dungeon is pretty hard at level-appropriate levels. And the loot is really bad.
The vault at the back of the Village ML church dungeon is really, really easy once you're able to get the key to be able to do it. The shadow fiends in it look like they should be really scary and dangerous, but they're easy and don't reward much xp. And the loot is bad.
I love both of these dungeons, I like that search and exploration are big parts of it. You don't hear people complaining about the other similarly complex dungeons, because it's worth doing them. The only issue with these two dungeons is they have no reward and people feel burned for spending time on them.

The crypt in behind the Village ML church is sort of bad too. Me and a friend tried doing it lately and maybe it was just on low spawn, but he was level 9 and got no XP from it, I barely got anything at level 7.

Otherwise:
Could the xp from woodland critters be boosted to how it was years ago? I was able to get to level 3 off killing deer/mink and turning in hides when I started the server. Right now it's unreasonably difficult for a level 2 to become level 3 unless they get carried by other players or do delivery quests over and over and over. This makes it unintuitive for people new to the server to know what to do unless they have friends who can guide them.

When I say unintuitive, I mean the way you normally think about gaining XP is going and killing stuff or doing dungeons. But it's very clunky until about level 4, and a lot of level 2/3 dungeons don't reward anything. The most optimal way to get XP is to know how the server works, or get carried by friends. Both of these require a pre-established presence on the server. It would be better for new players if things like hunting deer and minks was viable for the first few levels again.

A bunch of my friends are checking the server out and we're trying to figure out the best way to get them through level 2 and 3 so we can start doing dungeons together. I'd like to do dungeon content with them, I think PotM's dungeons are a lot of fun. The server mechanics make going through the dungeons require some thought, preparation and planning to figure out what a group can accomplish with what resources they have available to them.

Another suggestion is to make getting to level 4 or 5 easier, because that's when the game starts to get more playable and enjoyable. When I could go take friends out to low level dungeons, and each class would be able to do some things that their class gets to do.

Norture's post is very thorough. I especially agree with his point about the Shadow Wolves.

I think addressing the issues he raises should be much higher priority than SIthicus, the latter being content that only a few PCs on the server are capable of enjoying.

It seems to me completing Sithicus is an achievement for its own sake, and those capable of doing so don't really need even higher levels of power. Nor should it be the cause of high-level loot being thrown at low levels once high levels are already walking around like decorated Christmas trees.

Dev focus in this initiative IMO should be to make joining the server not so painful, and otherwise improve content for the vast majority of the player base. As someone who plays a PC nearing the end of what the server can reasonably expect to support power-wise, we already have it pretty good. We need challenges, not loot :D

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

DM Indolence

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 08:53:08 AM »
I'm not saying Veidrava should be the first priority, but the loot is objectively worse in the Salt Mines compared to the Barrows, and also compared to Perfidus. Off of vendor trash and platinum, a party of four 16+ levels with Appraise and selling feats can make 100K gold in a single run of high spawn Perfidus. This isn't accounting for claimed items and things that can be sold for 100K each to PCs. The Barrows drop roughly the same amount of decent loot as the Salt Mines, but take far less time.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but one would think the highest tier dungeons should drop the highest tier loot.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:57:47 AM by FiendishDireSloth »

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 09:11:31 AM »
Maybe I'm overthinking things, but one would think the highest tier dungeons should drop the highest tier loot.

I agree that this statement is completely logical--although IMO the highest-tier loot on the server is enchanted gear. So XP (which is essentially the currency for enchanted gear) is what high levels should be striving for and what we most value in an encounter. The other nice thing about enchanted gear is it can't trickle down very easily and thus make balancing for low levels harder.

Anyway, I'm talking only about priorities and expressing my preference about something subjective. Other players are bound to have their own preferences.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2020, 09:32:49 AM »
On Spell Resistance:
I would not agree that monsters need any more spell resistance. I think a lot of them are already over buffed when it comes to their spell resistance, actually. For example my lvl 6 sorcerer who has greater spell penetration, still misses skeletal knights in the morninglord crypts about 50% of the time. When he was level 2-4, I remember no attack even hitting (they were resisted about 100% of the time).

If you need to balance a dungeon against casters either:
1. Add more archers
2. Add more enemy spellcasters.
3. Buff the DR or damage resistance of select monsters in the dungeon, against common energy types.

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »
Dungeon/Area: The Forgotten Temple, in the Sewers

There is this area called the "Forgotten Temple". It is located in the sewers of Vallaki, and also connects to the cave network underneath Vallaki. I have been here a few times, and I think the concept is very cool. However the whole area consists of only two rooms.

I wouldn't mind seeing the area expanded to 3-4 rooms, with maybe one room containing a bit of lore about it. For example, maybe some hints about it being a temple to a shapeshifter or animal deity? Like Zhakata.

Also like Dextan says, maybe a wererat priest?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:00:32 AM by tylernwn1991 »

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 09:49:51 AM »
In regards to giving unnerfed true seeing in Perfidus - I did not mean the aberrations.  I meant the gelugons, dogai, pit fiends and balors.  Precisely because of the stealth gathering of adamantine, which is now routinely extremely common when it is supposed to be far rarer. 

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
Lmao, vegepygmies. It took me a few moments of staring blankly at the screen before I remembered the one and only time I ventured in that direction some ten years ago. Never again.
: )

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
In regards to giving unnerfed true seeing in Perfidus - I did not mean the aberrations.  I meant the gelugons, dogai, pit fiends and balors.  Precisely because of the stealth gathering of adamantine, which is now routinely extremely common when it is supposed to be far rarer.

Adamantine is still extremely uncommon. My character supplies loads of adamantine and I can say with absolute certainty that it's not as common as you're implying. On average you're still expecting to get one ingot every 20-30 meteors, which takes ages to get. Most people don't even ninja-loot meteors and instead fight the fiends because it seems to make the meteors fall faster when you kill the devils. Hell, there's times I've brought in hauls of 80 meteors and gotten 0 ingots...and that's happened more times than you'd hope. The thing to keep in mind is that as time goes on, adamantine gear will hecome more common as demands are met and armor/weapons are not limited use. Addy harvesting is also one of the better gold sinks on the server. Hell, I can burn through a ring of invisibility in three trips if I purely ninja-loot.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 12:55:05 PM by Khornite »
"No, you." -Captain America

StreetSamurai

• Outlander
  • Isle of Sartosa
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 01:31:16 PM »
You guys bringing up the dungeons easiest to grind is only going to result in it being broken and not worth grinding anymore. The others dungeons are terrible for exp and the loot will never, ever meet up to the standard of crafted gear. Can you people please stop making it worse?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:58:47 PM by NoLove »
now with 100% less rvt

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »
You guys bringing up the dungeons easiest to grind is only going to result in it being broken and not worth grinding anymore. The others dungeons are terrible for exp and the loot will never, ever meet up to the standard of crafted gear. Can you people please stop making it worse?

Balancing dungeons means evening them out; extremes (on both ends) aren't balanced. While some dungeons need buffing up to be more rewarding others need scaling down as well. Otherwise, and this is what happens now, the same handful of dungeons are cycled constantly, then people complain there aren't enough dungeons.

StreetSamurai

• Outlander
  • Isle of Sartosa
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 01:40:03 PM »

Balancing dungeons means evening them out; extremes (on both ends) aren't balanced. While some dungeons need buffing up to be more rewarding others need scaling down as well. Otherwise, and this is what happens now, the same handful of dungeons are cycled constantly, then people complain there aren't enough dungeons.

It also legitimately does not help that we do the double-tap to our experience gain, first with the soft cap which is so intense that even if you do grind hard you'll still be on the same level as the guy that rotates blind drive every two weeks and then having the dungeon spawns being subjected to a cleric that can solo and bring it down for everyone else. It's not fun actually gathering a group, RP walk with about an hour, and then find the dungeon's been ransacked by some soloing cleric.

Personally, the server is great for roleplay. It's one of the best. But the leveling experience has always been considered a personal chore that I go through when I can't RP in Barovia anymore because the RP exp cap only to find it's been subjected to the other 55 people that on the server, some of which actually enjoy it and do it perpetually.

--

But personally I'd suggest easing up the RP exp cap and looking into the spawn system. A lot of the dungeons are excellente on max spawn to the point that they'd actually be legitimate contenders in the exp grind and in getting rid of the spawn system, people would actually consider doing them and suddenly people have a lot more dungeons to visit. People do cursts because even minimal spawn cursts still gives exp no matter what.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:57:32 PM by NoLove »
now with 100% less rvt

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2020, 01:45:41 PM »
I've never liked the spawn building system, personally, for that reason. Just seems to discourage people from adventuring with something completely out of their control.

The dungeons that give terrible XP for their challenge/effort/etc. being brought up to the expectations that the other dungeons have set will only give us more options for good XP while adventuring. Why not? If it means more variety and less of the map being a deadzone, I don't see a problem with it. Someone took the time to make that dungeon and it doesn't even get used -- the effort to renew it should be celebrated IMO.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 02:04:24 PM »
Although I'm not sure anyone but Devs truly understands the spawn-building system or that it even operates the same in all dungeons, I don't have an issue with it. The purpose (as I understand it) is to keep the same party from just farming a dungeon over and over. So without it, the problem that this thread is trying to correct would almost certainly be even worse in that at least a low spawn can force parties to go from a first-tier dungeon to a second, while the first builds back up.

As an aside, another move that Devs might consider is backing out the refiring traps. Many times parties are constrained because a rogue capable of handling those traps just is not available.

StreetSamurai

• Outlander
  • Isle of Sartosa
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 02:17:23 PM »
It's kind of hard to balance a dungeon to begin with when the exp that you can get from it is extremely varied. Even if a group was keen on re-farming a particular dungeon repeatedly as opposed to ruining the spawns to the rest of the module because no matter what these people will grind, they'd still be subjected to an exp cap that really does work in what it's intended to do. I've intensely grinded before in this module and knocked an entire two days out of the weekend before and if the game does not want you to level then you will definitely not level until it eases up.

I'm also only speaking of one aspect of the spawn too, I've been in low level groups with random people that had to back out because the dungeon had too high of a spawn and couldn't do it. Either way you slice this, it's not very cash money for the noobs or the veterans.

Those aforementioned dungeons are popular because their CR is so high that no matter what you will probably get exp from them. It operates in spite of the spawning system.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:39:27 PM by NoLove »
now with 100% less rvt

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 02:20:01 PM »
For traps, I still think more focus on optional traps that are positioned in such a way so as to be threatening during combat would be really cool to see. They don't have to be instantly lethal for their level range or anything, just the idea that enemies can be positioned in such a way that they take advantage of these traps as one of their defenses. It would be one way ranged/caster enemies could be better defended. Then players need to be more careful in dungeons yet the difficulty doesn't necessarily go up as an absolute. EDIT: And giving them an accessible DC to spot them would be nice, too. Randomise the positions of these & people might be a bit more careful at least for the time they don't know where the traps are yet.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:06:12 PM by SardineTheAncestor »
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Dextan

• Outlander
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2020, 03:03:28 PM »
Mistways: I think some hidden caves or little places in the mistways could be easy to add and gives more  exploring/adventuring experiences.

Mistways: Snake house: I'd check the indefinite spawning script of the snakes, it makes the area filled with corpses. Maybe some cool IG backstory and traces there could put more creeps?

Hazlan: Rebels camp: Could add some boss or something.

Hazlan: Fire cave: The loot isnt very rewarding compared to the difficulty of the place.

Barovia: Underwater dungeon of Raduta: There is something with the loot table there, the drops are very repetitive. I'll add some vampire Sahuagin or something beasty ?

Barovia: Wererats temple under Vallaki: Maybe it could be cool to see a wererat priest since its like a temple or something.. ?

Sithicus: Veidrava mine is stealth looted often, but if you do the dungeon for real, the rewards are less interesting than Perfidus. The mines are WAY harder to do. Its like the final stage dungeon of the server. I'd put a loot on the final shadow boss like on Malthor.

Har'Akir: I'd put some love in the salamander lair near the oasis. Maybe some bounty drop ?

Har'Akir: Hotep is very easy to solo, beside the priestess. I'd put more dispelling traps maybe?

I got more.... but I think I'll relax :)

A man: ''Gosh what are you eating?''
Dextan: ''My last kill... ?''
A man: ''But its a SPIDER!''
Dextan: ''Your right... should started with the head''

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »
Although I'm not sure anyone but Devs truly understands the spawn-building system or that it even operates the same in all dungeons, I don't have an issue with it. The purpose (as I understand it) is to keep the same party from just farming a dungeon over and over. So without it, the problem that this thread is trying to correct would almost certainly be even worse in that at least a low spawn can force parties to go from a first-tier dungeon to a second, while the first builds back up.

As an aside, another move that Devs might consider is backing out the refiring traps. Many times parties are constrained because a rogue capable of handling those traps just is not available.

For the first part here, I've quite literally seen people time out how long it takes for a dungeon to hit high spawn, set a timer, wait for it to beep, then hit the dungeon. The variable spawn system is at best a cool down timer and at worst something that just derails adventurers and RP with a "Well, guess we'll just go somewhere else. WHEE! THAT WAS FUN! /sarcasm". There is nothing more annoying that taking an hour to find Perfidus only to see that Malthor's temple is so low that the party won't even get EXP. The player base is growing and growing, this system is one of the things that isn't really meshing well with the bigger player base.

On the subject of traps, PLEASE at LEAST get rid of the dispel traps that automatically reset. I've always had an issue with the idea of dispel traps. One of the most important things in tackling a dungeon is proper preparation and dispel traps basically only exist to remove that preparation. At least with enemy casters there's the rush to put down the mages or bait their dispel. Dispel traps are just a middle finger. Plus it makes so little sense that a character will walk through the SAME trip wire or pressure plate when they know the trap is there cause they stepped on it the first time. A lot of servers put in a "leap" function where a character must make a certain tumble check (Around DC 15-20) to make a jump so that characters can jump over a trap once they see it. It's not really a game breaking thing and just encourages smart play. It also helps with those really annoying situations where a character ends up getting teleported up onto a ledge and has to play the @seatme or campfire shuffle to get free.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:45:46 PM by Khornite »
"No, you." -Captain America

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2020, 03:49:16 PM »
   Variable spawns. Something thats been suggested for ages would inject so much life into things, despite the admittedly heavy workload it would require. You'd need to create a couple unique spawn templates for each area (with creatures befitting them, obviously), and have a trigger system with various odds and rarity, so any two trips to the same dungeon would vary. Maybe even once in a while a 'rare spawn' could occur.

I understand why something hasn't been attempted, but it should be, eventually! Start with something like Barovia, around Vallaki- gradually expand outward. Once it becomes more routine for the big dogs undertaking the project I imagine it will become addicting buffing the server experience in such a motion. Then they shall reign in confetti glory for all ages to come. Huzzah.

Maybe you could tie some special loot to special spawns, too.  :?:
 :twocents:

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2020, 07:12:46 PM »
Regarding random spawn caves, my friend who is level 3 found a slime cave. The slimes already did not give him any xp.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2020, 03:37:30 AM »
Perfidus is fine, I've only met like, one person that can loot for meteorites with some reliability, personally done the smelting for him and it's just... ugh. The amount of time he spends just for him to get enough adamantine so that one player can have one crafted piece of adamantine makes me believe everyone should just enchant their steel armours and go for adamantine spears. :) The dogai already have the true seeing, and the pit fiends will go into stealth mode if they've been hit by meteorites directly, it's pretty damn dangerous for regular joe and that's the point.

As for the Veidrava thing, it's probably bad because of ninja looters yup. It's always been said that ninja looting doesn't affect the spawn, and that's true too.

From my undocumented experience so take it for what it's worth;
-----
Whether ninjalooting or clearing out any dungeon entirely and waiting for max spawn, whoever goes in next is going to find it's bad. You need to be the first group there for that reset while it's at max spawn to get something. That's how it goes from every dungeon instance where I've been able to assess those factors accurately. I've done a lot of ninja looting and solo dungeon clearing of the Barovian dungeons because it's the most my main is capable of, can assassinate the Vassaliches in Cursts and avoid the rest if I'm feeling particularly adventurous but, always, the pattern has been I've only found good things if it's been on max spawn and if no one has visited the dungeon that reset, whether they were there for ninjalooting or for clearing out the dungeon. Could just be bad luck, a quirky bug of the dungeons, the intent behind the chests that isn't discussed publicly to confirm or deny but I've tried what I could try, a considerable lot, found plenty of lotus greaves, greater amulet of mask, a cane of detection etc only when those conditions were met for the dungeons I visited.
-----

I would like some other alternative if the above is true, but how that could be applied is beyond me. I can think of making it so that it's good loot if it's the first time you've been there instead that reset, but then people might run it with other new players, or invade a new players dungeon run and spoil the loot for being in the same area, or some other influential glitch, at the moment the current system requires a server reset to keep triggering better loot, and perhaps that is the least damaging way.

Maybe...

*  Alright. Okay. Maybe have ONE loot chest in each dungeon whose loot content values are based on the local encounter difficulty, that requires 3+ people surrounding it to open (5 is the optimal number of folk for XP usually).

*  Once opened, it won't appear for that dungeon until the next reset. A chest that can't be opened by ninja looters unless they're doing it as a group. A chest centered around being a reward for the first dungeoning PARTY for that dungeon to be "more assured (but not some 100% chance)' that they will find some legendary artifact, rather than from the four+ other chests nearby that might have nothing because someone recently (maybe even someone travelling in that group right now) already picked the contents and took off with the good stuff and waited for the dungeon to reset so that the chests would lock and appear like no one had been there.

* Maybe the chest doesn't appear immediately after a reset. Maybe it only has a 1/5 chance per area reset to appear, or won't appear if the first player in has been there before at all that reset (to prevent ninjalooters just resetting repeatedly, I don't know). It'd be a damned rare chest to see, make it look cool. Definable, immediately recognisable so it isn't just quietly opened. Thunderclap VFX when the lid is lifted.

don't hate me I'm smARD

• Society of the Erudite
  • New to the Mists
  • Я роняю запад.
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2020, 06:31:15 AM »
Curst - here I admit they have the low risk / high xp reward ratio. I did them thousands of times and make up big lures of them out of boredom
I had a minievent made by Deceit where he would put blue fog in narrow points of the cave that regenerated the cursts. You could add that, or - somehow, a regenerative smoke aura to those golems (if possible) It would make it challenging.

Bandit cave in Ghastria - they're hard, they require a meta to be done, yet xp and loot is not great - i would like them improved.

Harakir - i find everything fair there.

VoB - definitely needs an improve, most of the 'within city' dungeons are.... annoyingly boring. And loot's not great at all.

Sithicus -  hmm ... this one definitely need a different topic and thought . The solutions given here for salt mines such as ''loot drop from the boss'' would make it even more attractive for what is currently for, greedy me would like it alot tho :)

Port - Maybe some more complex dungeon at Bellgarde mines, or maybe a dungeon inside that graveyard (cursed half-undead bandits that are ruled by the daughter of that Necromancer in the sewers, with her own ''shady business'', with an event item for a guy in the Black Market). The graveyard is a very nice work, yet not often visited.

What I would've like to see are some high tier dungeons in Barovia sincerely. Like some Ice Queen thing but for high levels. There's a closed door in the southern mountains - maybe it would be a good idea to make a high level dungeon of that devil inside there?

Would also like some more short dungeons in the mists, or adjusting mistwalking risk/reward ..?
As of Ooze city , first it's dangerous, after it's..annoyance. Out of boredom I tried to clear it with Disorder, after 15 min we simply got bored because oozes were still coming and we barely went our way to the 'main street'. I would readjust it's risk : let's remove the big number of oozes, but add instead some ''alien enemy group'' that strikes from shadows, proifiting of your heavy walk trough it (and being knockdowned by the thick oily ground) .... , make falling DC growing slowly but surely, until you can't resist but fall .... then add something like '' as you find it harder and harder to step further, you can notice the thickness of the ground lowering, but that doesn't make you eased....you feel an odd presence behind you" and spawn a nasty cube-like enemy or something, with some loot on death.
Hilariously would be an inn added in the desert city, but pruchasing a key for the resting room but going inside and resting would lead you unexpectedly to ...a dungeon with oozes :).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:36:57 AM by Th'rar »
Th'rar
Lathalin Falvanti

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2020, 06:42:18 AM »

As for the Veidrava thing, it's probably bad because of ninja looters yup. It's always been said that ninja looting doesn't affect the spawn, and that's true too.

From my undocumented experience so take it for what it's worth;
-----
Whether ninjalooting or clearing out any dungeon entirely and waiting for max spawn, whoever goes in next is going to find it's bad. You need to be the first group there for that reset while it's at max spawn to get something. That's how it goes from every dungeon instance where I've been able to assess those factors accurately. I've done a lot of ninja looting and solo dungeon clearing of the Barovian dungeons because it's the most my main is capable of, can assassinate the Vassaliches in Cursts and avoid the rest if I'm feeling particularly adventurous but, always, the pattern has been I've only found good things if it's been on max spawn and if no one has visited the dungeon that reset, whether they were there for ninjalooting or for clearing out the dungeon. Could just be bad luck, a quirky bug of the dungeons, the intent behind the chests that isn't discussed publicly to confirm or deny but I've tried what I could try, a considerable lot, found plenty of lotus greaves, greater amulet of mask, a cane of detection etc only when those conditions were met for the dungeons I visited.
-----

As far as I know three things affect loot. Spawn, the time loot is not touched and what has been set to be a loot in the place.
As I said above Sithicus' dungeons got no spawn grades. It's either max, either cleared. Thus it's safe to assume that the first factor can be excluded.
Amount of ninjalooters who know how and presently have pcs able to loot the place up to the very bottom is not as huge as everyone assume. These days server persists for 100h, that's more than enough for all ninjalooters to loot place and for groups to clear the dungeon.
To me the main trouble seems to be the loot table itself. 1 gp worth Grandfather Swords and Casgul Tywill been replaced with 1 gp worth Rods of frosts. Items from cleric loot table (rings, amulets) were removed. The items with extra spellslots for casters too (wizard/sorcerer robes and helmets). That left the area with Tergs-like loot . Discipline gloves and tons of Mouse gear.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:02:22 AM by HighPrimate »

don't hate me I'm smARD

• Society of the Erudite
  • New to the Mists
  • Я роняю запад.
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2020, 06:58:31 AM »
As far as I know three things affect loot. Spawn, the time loot is not touched and what has been set to be a loot in the place.
As I said above Sithicus' dungeons got no spawn grades. It's either max, either cleared. Thus it's safe to assume that the first factor can be excluded.
Amount of ninjalooters who know how and presently have pcs able to loot the place up to the very bottom is not as huge as everyone assume. These days server persists for 100h, that's more than enough for all ninjalooters to loot place and for groups to clear the dungeon.
To me the main trouble seems to be the loot table itself. 1 gp worth Grandfather Swords and Casgul Tywill been replaced with 1 gp worth Rods of frosts. Items from cleric loot table (rings, amulets) were removed. The items with extra spellslots for casters too (wizard/sorcerer robes and helmets). That left the are with Tergs-like loot . Discipline gloves and tons of Mouse gear.

I have a feeling soon there'll be tons of "Hood , Boots, Gloves, Cloack of Caméléon", the excentric Dementlieuse Noble who had a pleasure of looking like, impersonating and disguising to look other nobles in balls and events. Loot which we'll find at first useful and fun, but after a month we'll end up selling most of it to Mist Camp Vardo as the loot will start to contain 'only' them, over-flooding the server with it's presence.

What I, and maybe HighPrimate mean is...please make a more variable percentage of loots, it was been already an year since most of the loot were of the sneaking ones, in most of the dangers. Make it random, make it for every class...so we won't have to ''go there'' because ''that place is where cleric/paladin/fighter/mage/rogue things have high rate treasure drop'' , make us hope and be pleasantly surprised.
For now, Perfidus is the only place that satisfies this wish, the only place where actual random stuff can be found, from sneaky-rogue likes to warrior-likes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:11:45 AM by Th'rar »
Th'rar
Lathalin Falvanti

TedFromDebate

• Undead Slayer
  • "Bardic Senses"
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2020, 08:42:44 AM »
I think something that could help with dead zones is seriously either like books or notices or something that one can find in places besides the dungeon. For example, the only place I know of with a good chance to find pally scrolls is like, the monastery for low level scrolls  (I think) and I think Ghastria. I'm not saying anything major, but maybe a book directing people to places where other possible artifacts/scrolls could be found would be fun.

To reclarify, I guess I do really like the idea of finding pally stuff in specific areas, as at least to that, it makes sense. Not every rando cave would have a bless weapon scroll in it, and I am fine with that. But, for areas that do have specific loot tables (for example, wherever you can actually find gloves of the fallen paladin, because as far as I know I've very rarely seen them in general besides the ones I buy at low level) It might be a good idea to highlight that somehow. For example, giving flavor text that might talk about roguish stuff (say corpses with backstabs? idk) Or places that might have arcane loot specific might be good to add some like, magic gone wrong to it. (More or less, if it'd be too hard to try and make notices of dungeons players rarely go to, then perhaps more obvious loot/lore hints around the area/in the dungeon might be helpful to get people to go that way? Maybe an example, albeit not for loot, is that it's cool that spider cave up near Terg Exit has a corpse, it can make one wonder if someone might need help, or if there's possibly more people lost inside.)

I'm realizing now that I am not getting very specific, but like, I guess what I am saying is that a good way to give distinction to a dungeon is by the loot that's given. There's a reason that my pally, even though she's way too high level to go in, might offer to help a group wanting to that barovian monastery and pay for any scrolls they find.
 I admit, random might be good in instances of places not distinctly themed, but also, its really fun to like, feel the lore even if you don't read per say, and loot can help with that sometimes. Perfidus, you feel the lore, that something's gone kind of wrong here, and this demon army in the waiting needs to be culled a bit and it makes sense to be random good stuff in there. In the barovian monastery however, you feel as a divine boyo that there's something wrong here, this place that was once holy, even if not to you per say, has now been sullied and cursed, and you can really get into the mindset of I need to cleanse this place to try to help fix what went wrong here, and the loot can help cement that this was once a holy place.
`
Meanwhile, with the Cursts.. I don't really feel that. Maybe it's just a virtue of how little respect the dungeon is given by PC's. To be honest, the Cursts haven't really interested me enough to learn lore of it, and besides knowing its in scary red wizard land, I don't really know why my paladin is that afraid of it. Darklings I feel kinda the same about lore, but that dungeon is so well structured I have a good time without lore. I feel the same about the swamps, I don't really know why they are there, but its a surprisingly fun dungeon.
To be honest, I also kind of hate that it seems you have to have so much set up that it feels like Cursts is either a wipe or a ez pz clear. I think (besides perfidus, because multi rest dungeons should at least early on not be worrying hard, and because there is the problem rooms of Malthor and the three balor area or whatever) places should be at lease kinda clearable without every protection in the book unless the fun is that they are challenging with that. I've never done super high end content, my highest PC ever is 15 with almost fully enchanted gear, but I think it's kind of fun if you at least have some hope to kind of man mode a dungeon. Darklings is a perfect example of that, as is Swamps, and those are my probably two of my favorite dungeons, because while its way safer to have at least have a dedicated caster, I could see a group of fighters or pallys with some potions going to town on those at decent spawns.

TLDR: Make Cursts harder probably at max spawn, it's way too easy with the protection people bring to it, the attitude of "no hp loss or leave" isn't a good fit for dungeons that can only take one rest, it should be kind of a rough ride, or lengthen cursts, as easy as that is to say
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:48:23 AM by TedFromDebate »
Raine
"Everyone's got a song singing on, but what they don't know is they write the verses."

Lucille Kelter - Oathbearer of Atlas
"Love not only one's victory, but love one's struggle as well."