Author Topic: The DM Presence Problem; A solution To Player Engagement  (Read 7561 times)

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
Re: The DM Presence Problem; A solution To Player Engagement
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »
This just seems like a suggestion for "mini-DMs". Why not just loosen the requirements for ADMship instead? The biggest issue that I've seen concerning DMs here over the years is generally the same thing, there's not enough of them. I get that it's important to have some quality control, you can't have someone who can't string together a plot or won't follow the rules running around and breaking stuff. You also can't have DMs who will come in and just run plots for their friends and no one else. The other issue that the small number of DMs brings is getting issues fixed quickly, requests and problems will start to pile up, DMs get overwhelmed trying to respond to requests and it just leads to burn out. Maybe some sort of "tech support" DMs can be added to the roster to help take the weight off the story-telling focused DMs? Running an event is a LOT of work (Especially on NWN), something else that might help could be that those tech support DMs could assist story-telling DMs with events. They can do things like tweak a monster for the DM, spawn an encounter ahead of the player's paths, just help a DM juggle everything they need to do in addition to storytelling. Just try to make things easier on DMs overall and we could prolly see more plots being ran.
"No, you." -Captain America

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »
A common reason against I see is 'one bad apple spoils the bunch, and at least one person will abuse it.'

Group punishment is literally against the Geneva convention, and considered a war crime.

Food for thought.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 09:36:43 PM »
A common reason against I see is 'one bad apple spoils the bunch, and at least one person will abuse it.'

Group punishment is literally against the Geneva convention, and considered a war crime.

Food for thought.

Thought about it.

And I don't think that a failure by the government to issue assault rifles to all citizens qualifies as a war crime.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »
This is starting to cross outside the topic with that trail of thought. Can we stick to the thread discussion please?

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2020, 11:21:02 PM »
SardineTheAncestor

Hi Halvor, I wanted to throw a few contrary opinions into the mix. This post isn't meant to troll but to respond to a few hangups I have which might be entirely my point of view but maybe not.
Of course not SardineTheAncestor, it's only by having these discussions will we reach any conclusions and or results; it shows an active interest and care in something we put a good amount of our free time into.

I haven't ever seen this, but I've only been here for a year. Since my requests for NPC interaction were all denied in the past, even with several other players interested, I never recommend others to attempt it anymore and I have my characters turn away from such plans to pursue other means. I would prefer to take initiative with people who are currently playing with me. Trusting ANPCs to do what DMs are too busy to do just seems like it compounds the problem.

The only real solution is to recruit more DMs at the end of the day, as someone who runs a faction and has discussions on the regular with other people in a similar position it paints a stark picture. We get event semi-regularly and are able to interact on occasion with our respective faction NPCs. But I have also seen the exact opposite, and it is not just my view. Contacting a DM and getting a reply can be excruciating, especially if you don’t share peak time zone, your options from there to contact one is Generic Requests. To be denied is lucky to get no response at all is the norm. Realistically we have three solutions, more DMs, systems that do not require 24/7 monitoring or more power to factions.

AMPCs already fulfill this role (the rules say they do not need to focus so much on story as providing atmosphere), they even have the store and @voice for the horse head and "Keep going down this path" thing.

Players do fear the night, and honestly I'm not sure if I want to play on a server where to make people fear the night, we up the spawns. People actually hang around in the outskirts at night more when there's stuff to kill. Making those threats more dangerous won't change anything, there will always be players who are up for any challenge no matter how impossible it is. If anything, it will bring more people into the night, because stronger enemies means higher CR enemies, which means they feed more XP.

Oh, and the thing about "make sure no one ever harbours them without dire consequences" -- I've seen the effects of isolation, perceived and absolute, on RP here and on other servers. It is not something I would ever encourage. I think it lends little to the authenticity of the experience and walls off RP more than it creates new options. EDIT: It's always up to the player to forge their own path, confining them and making the mere act of branching out to new friends a very real risk might be thrilling for a brief stint, maybe not so much forever. And look at what you'd really be doing here. You're just affecting how other players' characters view this one and now everyone wants to know why it's got to be such a huge risk just to be around them. Disempowerment, isolation, etc. might be main themes here, but providing obstacles to RP that can manifest in no-RP PvP, even if the incidence of something like that is supposedly low, is a high consequence for what is likely an inconsequential existence, such as what most characters on this server would lead if the DM's presence is what makes them substantial, as truly, such a presence is rare.

At the end of the day this is just a different opinion, to me it's in the title “Ravenloft”. But I’ve never agreed with the people who say players should huddle in buildings at night; and to do otherwise is ignoring the settings intent. These characters aren’t NPCs they’re heroes, they have hero levels. When something goes bump in the night it's their job to say “let's go find out what that was gang” because though they might be scared they still by in large do the right thing, or the really wrong thing. Otherwise it isn’t so much Dungeons & Dragons, but Fear & Peasants.

And if you played the tabletop game, you will go out in the night. You’re still expected to right that wrong. It's between learning about the problem and the confrontation of that horror does the gothic come to life. And on the last part, all I can say is you dug your own grave by your own actions, don’t do things to upset them if you don’t want consequences. And in the poll by far the server wants consequences.

AMPCs already fulfill this role...

As someone whose played an AMPC and is in the process of creating another, they cannot meet the server demands by numbers and or tools. The only thing that separates them from players is a template, the ability to spawn companion NPCs, and a menu to grab prop items. Between the level disparity of the AMPC and PC, you are almost always forced to segregate yourself against a large number of the server. There are a lot of hurdles you have to overcome, you are constantly chasing the one on one encounter.

(Other possible solution) Atmosphere Team; The Solution To A Growing Playerbase - https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=52150.0

Between the AMPCs closure and creation of new one, there is a large window of time where there is one less piece of atmosphere in the persistent story.

I disagree with this sentiment, including the "now" part. Ever since I started playing here about one year ago, I've noticed DM plots are more like backdrops on account of being spaced out over a very long period of time.

And that’s fine, but when so much of the world is locked behind interactions between DMs and NPCs the world stagnates. Especially for any high lvl players, how many characters sit and stare into that fire desperate for any conflict that might get off that wagon.

You feel like you’re separate from the setting, alien. Not apart of a role-play server but on a dungeon-server with role-play light elements. Is it any wonder they come down to Vallaki and unbalance the zone/factions/AMPC interactions.

I assume this is humour...

It is.

The dichotomy I'm trying to make is that if you're RPing with 5 players and 1 DM, or if you're RPing with 6 players, it's still 6 people in the end, and the interaction is no less valuable just because a DM didn't come in with a validation stamp.

And I agree, initially. However a lot of the interaction becomes samey and repetitive and so many concepts requires DMs or AMPCs, when you play a monster hunter you can only talk about monsters for so long before you need to seek one out, or a wizard and you talk about experiments and boundaries. Foreplay is all fine and good but if that’s all it is, you’re walking away with a lot of tension and no resolution.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:33:21 PM by Hallvor Hadiya »
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 12:45:18 AM »
I haven't ever seen this, but I've only been here for a year. Since my requests for NPC interaction were all denied in the past, even with several other players interested, I never recommend others to attempt it anymore and I have my characters turn away from such plans to pursue other means. I would prefer to take initiative with people who are currently playing with me. Trusting ANPCs to do what DMs are too busy to do just seems like it compounds the problem.

The only real solution is to recruit more DMs at the end of the day, as someone who runs a faction and has discussions on the regular with other people in a similar position it paints a stark picture. We get event semi-regularly and are able to interact on occasion with our respective faction NPCs. But I have also seen the exact opposite, and it is not just my view. Contacting a DM and getting a reply can be excruciating, especially if you don’t share peak time zone, your options from there to contact one is Generic Requests. To be denied is lucky to get no response at all is the norm. Realistically we have three solutions, more DM, systems that do not require 24/7 monitoring or more power to factions.

I agree. More DMs would be great to see, on account of how overwhelmed the current, very small team is. As someone who isn't part of a faction and just bounces between groups of players who drift & are not tied down, I just have no expectation of DM interaction with me unless I am invited and even then I know to be patient and wait as long as it takes for them to be ready. Like I said, I can do no more than treat the plot as a backdrop. It affects everything my character does, but so does every normal interaction with other characters.

AMPCs already fulfill this role (the rules say they do not need to focus so much on story as providing atmosphere), they even have the store and @voice for the horse head and "Keep going down this path" thing.

Players do fear the night, and honestly I'm not sure if I want to play on a server where to make people fear the night, we up the spawns. People actually hang around in the outskirts at night more when there's stuff to kill. Making those threats more dangerous won't change anything, there will always be players who are up for any challenge no matter how impossible it is. If anything, it will bring more people into the night, because stronger enemies means higher CR enemies, which means they feed more XP.

Oh, and the thing about "make sure no one ever harbours them without dire consequences" -- I've seen the effects of isolation, perceived and absolute, on RP here and on other servers. It is not something I would ever encourage. I think it lends little to the authenticity of the experience and walls off RP more than it creates new options. EDIT: It's always up to the player to forge their own path, confining them and making the mere act of branching out to new friends a very real risk might be thrilling for a brief stint, maybe not so much forever. And look at what you'd really be doing here. You're just affecting how other players' characters view this one and now everyone wants to know why it's got to be such a huge risk just to be around them. Disempowerment, isolation, etc. might be main themes here, but providing obstacles to RP that can manifest in no-RP PvP, even if the incidence of something like that is supposedly low, is a high consequence for what is likely an inconsequential existence, such as what most characters on this server would lead if the DM's presence is what makes them substantial, as truly, such a presence is rare.

At the end of the day this is just a different opinion, to me it's in the title “Ravenloft”. But I’ve never agreed with the people who say players should huddle in buildings at night; and to do otherwise is ignoring the settings intent. These characters aren’t NPCs they’re heroes, they have hero levels. When something goes bump in the night it's their job to say “let's go find out what that was gang” because though they might be scared they still by in large do the right thing, or the really wrong thing. Otherwise it isn’t so much Dungeons & Dragons, but Fear & Peasants.

And if you played the tabletop game, you will go out in the night. You’re still expected to right that wrong. It's between learning about the problem and the confrontation of that horror does the gothic come to life. And on the last part, all I can say is you dug your own grave by your own actions, don’t do things to upset them if you don’t want consequences. And in the poll by far the server wants consequences.

We don't disagree here. The only issue is that there's not really a lot out in the night once you get to a certain level. IMO, relying on PvP and corpse hiding for consequences is a really poor way of running a persistent story. Someone wins, someone loses, someone escapes a gank -- it all ends in the same thing. I see people take extended absences over this, often times the winners themselves, and I wonder just whose story benefits, who really won when everyone lost? So I would be illogical to say that more DMs running more events and giving people more to contend with than other players in what boils down to a PvP MMO experience is a bad thing.

On the last part -- it's not always your own actions that lead to consequences, and it's part of the setting that you can make all the right moves and still be "wrong" in the eyes of the powers that be. Hell, you can even do nothing but be in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up an enemy of the state, thus globally opting in to PvP which is, IMO, again, a huge cop-out, a waste of everyone's time, and a divisive force in a server that otherwise seems to want to unify and let the good times roll. But every time things start getting good, it seems to me like someone gets ganked, setting everyone else a week back, a month back, or more, trying to find them, trying to buy them back, and inevitably someone loses interest or takes a long break.

DMPCs and tuned-up plot NPC swarms are no less capable of wiping players out but it usually causes less grief because a DM is unlikely to corpse hide, much less in an invalid location, and there is zero chance of approaching them and asking, "Hey, is the corpse we're looking for hidden in a kosher way?" only to have to report it later because it was not, in fact, hidden in a kosher way. Back to NPCs and DMPCs, though, balance is very difficult and a DM might leave something extremely powerful with no indication of its particular strength in a corner somewhere. No fault of their own -- the game works on a meta like such. Yet still, sometimes a good challenge or a fun fight can be dreamt up by a DM without everyone walking away at half or less HP with no compensation for all the consumables they burned just to survive. I loved creating encounters of all varieties, some easy, some hard, some short, some long, some simple, some tactical, any combination of these traits and more when I used to admin. Part of adventuring is obstacles, and, indeed, consequences. But imposing them in certain ways and for certain reasons can do more harm than good, and stagnate a story more than it provides for it. As it is, it seems most DM encounters I happen across lead to grave consequences that span a long period of time after just a couple hours total of interaction (4-6 hours of DM time for every 500 hours of gameplay or so), and the light at the end of the tunnel is only what we make it. So if people want consequences, my honest opinion is go looking for them. Because they are there. As sturgeon says, and not to you specifically -- break out of the trench. Go harass the guards. Go kill random players and NPCs in emotionally charged moments. Take people away from hubs and involve them in morally questionable activities. Look for reasons to break the stagnancy. Do all of this without a single scrap from a DM besides maybe a flavour item. See if, by the end of this, no one is feeling alienated, pushed around, or a prop in someone else's story with half a mind to eject themselves, as indeed the PvP rules invite them to become. And really look at it from all angles and consider the perspective of the one RPing the victim. It would be a milestone in my books, which, once again, have only been around for a year, so my experience differs from those who remember the glory days of DMs pushing the story forward every week or two. Would I like to see it? Yes. But I'm not banking on anything. I prefer to keep my character's ambitions grounded in what I can do without having to type up an application or ask a DM for help, and I know that might sound wrong, but that's what I've been told to do. Sternly so, at times.

AMPCs already fulfill this role...

As someone whose played an AMPC and is in the process of creating another, they cannot meet the server demands by numbers and or tools. The only thing that separates them from players is a template, the ability to spawn companion NPCs, and a menu to grab prop items. Between the level disparity of the AMPC and PC, you are almost always forced to segregate yourself against a large number of the server. There are a lot of hurdles you have to overcome, you are constantly chasing the one on one encounter.

(Other possible solution) Atmosphere Team; The Solution To A Growing Playerbase - https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=52150.0

Between the AMPCs closure and creation of new one, there is a large window of time where there is one less piece of atmosphere in the persistent story.
Not incorrect in the slightest, AMPCs are few and far between even when there's 4 or 5 of them running amok and to the point where they fight even each other. I gave one a shot and liked it on NCE and I hope others enjoyed it too. The bar is very high by application alone. On some servers in other games, we used to have people apply to simply become the equivalent of an AMPC and all they would need to do from there is get approved by a DM (lock the character in the creation zone for example, like what should be happening with app subraces and whatnot). I think the infrastructure of the server would massively benefit if the DMs could solo-approve AMPCs from players flagged with that trust, so that nobody has to apply over and over and over again to make one. But being able to run an NPC and say something that NPC would never say (also without having the knowledge of the DM logs in their private forums where they let other DMs know how to react to certain characters etc.) could be immersion breaking and cause confusion. More full DMs, more junior/apprentice DMs, tech support DMs like Khornite said, and maybe even a couple more head DMs could remedy this.

I disagree with this sentiment, including the "now" part. Ever since I started playing here about one year ago, I've noticed DM plots are more like backdrops on account of being spaced out over a very long period of time.

And that’s fine, but when so much of the world is locked behind interactions between DMs and NPCs the world stagnates. Especially for any high lvl players, how many characters sit and stare into that fire desperate for any conflict that might get off that wagon.

You feel like you’re separate from the setting, alien. Not apart of a role-play server but on a dungeon-server with role-play light elements. Is it any wonder they come down to Vallaki and unbalance the zone/factions/AMPC interactions.

I've been told to expect the world to be stagnant and unresponsive, actually. To expect that my characters will likely one day die for their choices and be remembered only by other characters when I decide to close. This is not a server where monuments are built for people who tried to provide for others, despite there being more than enough space. On the off chance it does happen, it's the exception, not the rule, so again, I have come not to expect it, but accept the contrary. That those locked doors will always be locked. That the Vistani will not do their business with you, besides what they are scripted to do. That, in general, the setting will not take your hand when you reach out, but when you have a DM's attention, they will instead grab you and your character will quickly be on the line every moment thereafter.

I mostly agree with the second statement, a lot of people probably would. It is just so much less hassle to hang out, socialise with a lot of people, yes-man myself into dungeons if people want my help or seem bored/need an invitation, whereas waiting around for some kind of "big story" is something that happens entirely in the background. Again, I can do no more but base every encounter off the fact that these world-ending plots are occurring and my character is literally powerless until the moment comes, and might even be outmatched then. It does have an OOC effect. It has led me to continue creating characters who will do decently in the role I select in PvE as I care little for PvP and I do not feel like making a character who will be "good in DM events" (whatever that means) is conducive to a positive experience when I, realistically, have little chance to interact with them when acting of my own initiative & volition.

The dichotomy I'm trying to make is that if you're RPing with 5 players and 1 DM, or if you're RPing with 6 players, it's still 6 people in the end, and the interaction is no less valuable just because a DM didn't come in with a validation stamp.

And I agree, initially. However a lot of the interaction becomes samey and repetitive and so many concepts requires DMs or AMPCs, when you play a monster hunter you can only talk about monsters for so long before you need to seek one out, or a wizard and you talk about experiments and boundaries. Foreplay is all fine and good but if that’s all it is, you’re walking away with a lot of tension and no resolution.

It's not ideal, but it is what it is. I don't think there's meant to be resolution, some of these plots go on for years, claiming the lives of some characters and sealing the fates of others even before the end. I'm told every good story has an ending, but to me that would seem as incomprehensible gibberish when injected into a persistent world. Seeing characters who meant a lot to mine disappear forever when I'm not even online, seeing people brush my character off then disappear a week later while they would have undoubtedly survived with my character's help, listening to people talk about their perfect closure scenario like that's actually going to happen, makes me wonder sometimes if I am intruding on pre-arranged plotlines that people have laid long before I tried to get involved, and I feel like the resistance isn't worth it. I've even had people push me away because they were afraid I'd try and get involved in "their plot" in the past, without even having met my character, without me even knowing what the plot was, and without having any interest in getting wrapped up in something that seems to stress them out so much that they would stoop to this level. When people respond to my characters, who tend to be loudmouths that pose ideas they disagree with just for conversation's sake, or abusive fools that attack their allies to see where their loyalties really lie, I am excited at the prospect of making a new friend so I can help prop up their story. That keeps me coming back, not the other promises the server makes, not the dungeons, and certainly not the PvP "stories" which have more often than not proven to be an upset or a disruption from my point of view.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:50:02 AM by SardineTheAncestor »
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 01:57:17 AM »
This just seems like a suggestion for "mini-DMs". Why not just loosen the requirements for ADMship instead? The biggest issue that I've seen concerning DMs here over the years is generally the same thing, there's not enough of them. I get that it's important to have some quality control, you can't have someone who can't string together a plot or won't follow the rules running around and breaking stuff. You also can't have DMs who will come in and just run plots for their friends and no one else. The other issue that the small number of DMs brings is getting issues fixed quickly, requests and problems will start to pile up, DMs get overwhelmed trying to respond to requests and it just leads to burn out. Maybe some sort of "tech support" DMs can be added to the roster to help take the weight off the story-telling focused DMs? Running an event is a LOT of work (Especially on NWN), something else that might help could be that those tech support DMs could assist story-telling DMs with events. They can do things like tweak a monster for the DM, spawn an encounter ahead of the player's paths, just help a DM juggle everything they need to do in addition to storytelling. Just try to make things easier on DMs overall and we could prolly see more plots being ran.

I think this is a wonderful idea, and one that has a lot of merit to it. But I'm pretty sure this has crossed the DM teams mind, I can only guess at the intricacy of the role so they obviously have their reasons. It just seems to me and others that they have no interest in mentoring people into the position, which fair enough they want qualified individuals to assume the role to maximise quality.

The small DM team while some of the very best people to come to POTM, they cannot do everything. And I can only imagine the stress and high turn over rate of DMs taking a back bench. The ANPC is only one example of how to alleviate that, give greater responsibility to the players to create their own story.

And I don't think that a failure by the government to issue assault rifles to all citizens qualifies as a war crime.

We're getting off topic; please keep this thread civil.
Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 02:34:01 AM »
I'd like to preface this by stating unequivocally that I am against war crimes in all forms.

ANPCs: I'm heavily against these. It adds yet more administration team side - the most burdensome part of the volunteer job - and buys into the assumption that we need more representation of the higher echelons of power to meaningfully push story. Garda, as an example, generally have a great degree of freedom amongst their faction leadership to do the daily things necessary to represent the authority of their faction.

I wouldn't be against DM driven consequences for using 9th circle magic in public in Barovia or openly threatening the authority of the state.

Player Factions:

This is the primary reason I wrote this post. Player factions have plenty of spaces that can be used for their roleplay. Property can be rented. Rooms in the Drain can be rented. The module is dripping with discreet locations of many forms that you can utilise for a faction. Other spaces can be utilised after a single scene supported by a DM - who will make the time if you demonstrate your commitment to making a space work. I know this because I have built, run or taken over multiple player factions. The key isn't a lot of DM support. While - I will stress - I have never had trouble finding a DM when I absolutely need one, there is a lot you can do to build a presence in the world, and engage in player politics without needing a DM. Run events. When you do cool stuff with your group, write a rumour post. When your group has a barrier or a problem, seize it as an opportunity to create yet more roleplay. Go out and do whatever your group does with the tools available to a player. If you play regularly and create roleplay it all falls into place.

Conversely, if you require constant or regular supervision to do anything? Your group wont survive. Official factions don't even operate this way. I don't believe player factions need more support. Perhaps more guidance on making such factions work, or when it is good to be DM dependent. DMs will generally be happy to support PrC training where necessary. They will also support access to a property where feasible. When designing a faction's structure, or events or things to do, focus on the maximum that can be achieved with the minimum of DM support.

I also do not support genocide or other criminal acts.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 02:58:27 AM by PlatointheCave »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 03:03:14 AM »
Any DM can portray an NPC, allowing for flexible interaction times with that NPC. If we have a lack of DMs then the answer is more DMs, if we don't then a better organisation of times is the answer.

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 03:49:02 AM »
ANPCs: I'm heavily against these. It adds yet more administration team side - the most burdensome part of the volunteer job - and buys into the assumption that we need more representation of the higher echelons of power to meaningfully push story. Garda, as an example, generally have a great degree of freedom amongst their faction leadership to do the daily things necessary to represent the authority of their faction.

I cannot speak to the garda, I've not once been in the faction however I know and have spoken to many who have. And my own experience within a faction leading role, beyond the reactive there is no sweeping proclamation, or major choice without going up to an NPC and asking "I know I run things, but can I do this?". I'd like to see the opportunity to create tension and player ran events; for example a bunch of halflings have been caught stealing thus a new ordinance for all small folk must now apply for permits in the city, or all Gundarakite must wear a sash to identify themselves due to a current plot.

Maybe not these exact one's, but the option to do it. Greater player responsibility.

This is the primary reason I wrote this post. Player factions have plenty of spaces that can be used for their roleplay. Property can be rented. Rooms in the Drain can be rented. The module is dripping with discreet locations of many forms that you can utilise for a faction. Other spaces can be utilised after a single scene supported by a DM - who will make the time if you demonstrate your commitment to making a space work. I know this because I have built, run or taken over multiple player factions. The key isn't a lot of DM support. While - I will stress - I have never had trouble finding a DM when I absolutely need one, there is a lot you can do to build a presence in the world, and engage in player politics without needing a DM. Run events. When you do cool stuff with your group, write a rumour post. When your group has a barrier or a problem, seize it as an opportunity to create yet more roleplay. Go out and do whatever your group does with the tools available to a player. If you play regularly and create roleplay it all falls into place.

I'd argue it is superficial and your experience is the exception rather then the rule, a faction base is their home but a home that vanishes every reset and is without basic necessities. There is little reason to recreate it every other day except it looks nice, what I suggest is to give resources to the players without DM supervision and offer a semblance of permanency, perks for effort and continued diligence. And it is admirable you see role-play in barriers but for a large majority of people, they see walls. And they're on the outside.

And its not like this doesn't exist on other role-play servers, the ability to rent property and hold onto land. Even to run said land; I've seen towns made up of nothing but PCs not only work but thrive, with roles and opportunities that create organic storytelling and conflict. Its value for time. Paying for a back room in the Drain more or less you are paying for the privilege to lock yourself away in a room, you can do that in almost any dungeon for free. And you'd probably get more reward too cause you have to clear it out before using it.

Conversely, if you require constant or regular supervision to do anything? Your group wont survive. Player factions don't even operate this way. I don't believe player factions need more support. Perhaps more guidance on making such factions work, or when it is good to be DM dependent. DMs will generally be happy to support PrC training where necessary. They will also support access to a property where feasible. When designing a faction's structure, or events or things to do, focus on the maximum that can be achieved with the minimum of DM support.

This thread isn't actually asking for greater DM supervision on player faction, less in fact. Tools or systems that allow them to act independently. While it may seem in the short term to be more intensive in the long run it would allow greater flexibility and remove some of that burden. Though I do value your insight, as you have had a long and unique experience on POTM and have touched many character's stories. But I think if there was no problem, people wouldn't complain or feel detached from the setting. And this is coming from someone who plays in a Player Faction that receives regular supervision and events, but I know for most people that just isn't the case.

Crowl

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2020, 08:18:34 AM »
I agree with Hallvor on what he is proposing and the points he is making. Sardine has, as well, very interesting points.

I think greater player responsabilities can help this immensely. Letting players rise to such positions through IC means not unlike AMPC applications or otherwise, in such a way that one can gather how a player writes and behaves with the community at large, and if it would be feasible (and convenient) to have such a player in a position of power. It would feel more organic, and only need to have the DM team oversee it but not in a constant manner.

The question some posed was 'Could something bad happen?'. And I think something bad can happen at any point in time, I'm sure there have been many problems in the past without these, between players, rule breaks, and a vast etcétera. It's a quality of life thing from where I am standing. Having those positions be earned diminishes such a possibility greatly, as those who would apply for them understand what they are applying to and the things they must have in consideration.

I would -really- like to see what can happen if we have player-characters in positions of higher power, in-character positions reflecting this. I've seen this done in the past (not here, obviously), and it had very good results. Naturally it was not without problems, one person was not up to standards in the end. But it did little against the amazing experience that was that in the general play of things.

It has a lot of potential. Change, however, is stressful.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:21:55 AM by Crowl »
Playing: Maeldwen Erynaedh/Irach

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2020, 08:37:01 AM »
The difficulty in this, that I can see, is that these positions require a lot of behind the curtain knowledge.

One of the strengths of Potm is and will always be its consistency.  Events that took place years ago can and do influence events later on down the track.  And the fact is, most of us remain unaware of that influence.  We will not know, because knowing will spoil it, and create metagaming knowledge at the very least.

Someone having such a position of power will, by necessity, have to have behind the curtain knowledge.  They need to know things in order to make informed, consistent decision making.  They would then need to report that decision making and actions made, consistently, each time they do them.

This is difficult to work with.  Its part of the reason our DM's are given such strict testing before they come on.  They have a lot to read and a lot to memorise and they must remain consistent with previous action.  The position we are talking about could, by its nature, create either a massive conflict with previous consistency or lead to retcon or massive strain.  Trainee DM's have had actions retconned in the past before and they -are- privy to this knowledge.  I can only imagine what would happen if a player was given such power of world changing ability without having that wider behind the curtain knowledge.

To be honest, people that would be trusted with these positions are people who have in the past already been DM's and have chosen to step down to play instead.  But its such a responsibility it is likely easier for them to instead be DM's rather than players.  If this option 'was' to be made available, consistency and security dictates it could only really be in the hands of DM's themselves, except when they have chosen to go playerside rather than be a DM.

I agree that players could be given more opportunities to prove themselves however.  But the simple fact is none of us are a good objective judge of ourselves, even if we don't always give an accurate reflection of what we could be.

immasturgeon

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 09:36:02 AM »
+ 1 to Plato, especially about being against war crimes and genocide.

In all seriousness though, I agree with his sentiment. Do your things, and if they need to be changed a DM will step in to correct you. Sometimes I get salty with the dearth of DM interaction I've had shepherding a -supported- faction, but I also have had the ability to just do what I feel is best with it. So long as I am keeping in line with the setting lore I have experienced these freedoms in just about every area. I have extended, changed, and made much more difficult the training "course." The added difficulty and length hopefully comes with a more cohesive, individualized story, and much greater sense of accomplishment at the time of baptism. I have experienced great freedom in determining the faction's reaction and interactions with others people and factions. I have great freedom to determine what our members focus on and their activities. And I'm not even the titled faction lead, just the defacto one because we do not have a titled one at this very moment.

My point is, do your story with good intentions and the intent to be fair to the members of your faction and the other factions you oppose. If you do something wrong or overstep accept the correction, take that as learning, and get back to doing the day to day. Everybody wishes for more DM time. There are many great RPers who are involving others in a great manner of stories and they have just this side of zero interaction with DMs. Through no fault of their own and no fault of the very busy DM team.

If you wish for more DMs then perhaps applying for and taking up the mantle for the rest of us is a great solution? As I alluded to in my first post members of the community must step up and take responsibility for making this server better.

Leezil

• Undead Master
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 01:28:00 PM »
I hear what Plato is saying, and I agree that no group or player should require constant DM help, but I think the original post is very clearly not talking about that.

The blunt truth is that the server is pretty boring right now if you are not one of the lucky few who gets any DM interaction whatsoever. I don't blame the DMs, it's a huge server and I've been a DM, you can't get to anyone.

But I joined this server when the Red Wolf was around, and that made the world feel like it was bursting with meaning and stakes. Things were happening that mattered. Even if you weren't directly involved, it made it feel like your own actions could matter. The truth is though, months after he's gone, it's clear to me this isn't the case. The server desperately needs actual stakes and consequences in Barovia. We can do all the player efforts in the world to make and create RP, but at the end of the day we're just shouting into a void it feels like.

Consider the garda. In my opinion, the player garda are one of the really, really good things about Barovia/this server. I have to credit the garda with propping Barovia up and giving it the only sense of stakes and consequences that it has. The garda are a very good example, IMO, of the original post's proposition working well. The players have power, just like OP proposes. I feel like they carry out their duty well. They add a lot to the server and Barovia wouldn't be the same without them. Imagine if they were DM only NPCs? No thanks!

I urge those who are against OP's post to consider whether they have the privilege of having experienced DM events within the space of the last year or so. Have they gotten to be involved in DM plots even without being involved in the DMing itself? I know for sure that some of you who are against the idea have gotten to be involved in plots within the time I've personally been playing. Please put yourself in the shoes of those of us who have not only never seen a DM event/DM NPC, but have never even gotten to be involved from a distance. Some of us tire of yelling into the void with the projects and plots we're working on, and would love to see something like this to give our RP space a little more meaning.
Sasha Sorokina: Devoted to the Morninglord
Portrait - link

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2020, 02:50:24 PM »
I urge those who are against OP's post to consider whether they have the privilege of having experienced DM events within the space of the last year or so. Have they gotten to be involved in DM plots even without being involved in the DMing itself? I know for sure that some of you who are against the idea have gotten to be involved in plots within the time I've personally been playing. Please put yourself in the shoes of those of us who have not only never seen a DM event/DM NPC, but have never even gotten to be involved from a distance. Some of us tire of yelling into the void with the projects and plots we're working on, and would love to see something like this to give our RP space a little more meaning.

I have been involved in some things, but, for example, you mention the Red Wolf. I was only peripherally involved in that, mostly hearing stories and not wanting to be the high level who tried to end the story for everyone else.

What I will say my experience with DM activity is this:

1) Involve other players. If you ask the DM to do something just for you or are playing in isolation, you will not be as likely to receive it.

2) Do not be a problem player. Cooperate with the DMs and try to assist with the stories they want to run, rather than pushing your own personal character. It's important to remember that DMs don't just volunteer to serve us--although many are motivated by a desire to be helpful and contribute to the community--but because they want to express their own creative impulses.

3) Accept that it is a scarce commodity, DM attention. For every hour of it I've received, I've put in *hundreds* of hours in game.

As for why I don't support the OP, stating that would be repetitious.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 03:14:00 PM »
The server has been around for 15 years now, and in those years, we've tried many concepts and approaches. Many players here have been with us for only a handful of those 15 years so it's hard to get perspective.

The problem with the original suggestion is that it's something we've already experienced in the past for a good four years; however, it never worked under its different forms. Among other things, we had individual agents of the Count who represented Strahd in different matters, handpicked by DMs, and a faction of vampires (pre-current MPC rules) who worked directly for Strahd to be this threat people speak of.

Unfortunately, in practice, the agents of the Count had limited things to do, and they ended up using it more as an OOC/IC status symbol and a way to skirt consequences; that brought nothing to the server or the community except problems and needless OOC conflict (guards were particularly frustrated). The faction itself also had little to do; they were given directives, but truth is most people aren't on the Count's radar and when they are, it's often because they are disruptive high levels, hardly something that can be handled solely via RP.

As for players having the power to "control" key NPCs, that too is problematic, because as others have pointed out, we log our NPC interactions on the DM boards to ensure consistency between interactions. That wasn't always the case and players would complain quite a lot about the inconsistencies in NPCs' roleplay, for good reason. We had to retcon things and it would create much frustration and problems for all involved. Hardly something we want to go back to with people with even less information on those NPCs.

This isn't to say the current situation is perfect; ideally everyone would feel involved and able to influence events in-game; we could use more DMs but that too is nothing new. However, we've taken steps and continue taking steps to empower players to tell their stories and create their events without DM assistance. We've given MPCs a lot more tools in the past year to create scenes, added the Disguise system, expanded craftable placeables in the last few years (something that didn't exist 5 years ago) and we're working on adding persistent buildings to use by players. Ultimately, it's the players's responsibility to use those tools and tell stories and create healthy dynamics with others. That's not something we can do for players, neither on the development nor DM side.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:18:46 PM by EO »

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 03:43:34 PM »
Imagine thinking this server is about DM events and not player-driven narrative.

Leezil

• Undead Master
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2020, 04:05:04 PM »
Imagine thinking this server is about DM events and not player-driven narrative.

Are the two mutually exclusive? Does having an occasional NPC presence somehow prevent player-driven narrative?
Portrait - link

PlatointheCave

• Dark Lord
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2020, 04:10:35 PM »
99.99% of my time is spent without DMs around. I go out of my way to make my stuff work without DMs. They're volunteers and I'm here to build narrative with players, first and foremost.

The Red Wolf was born of player driven stuff. Stuff that was born of even older player driven story. Maybe somewhere along the way there was a single scene where a DM enabled them - it was a pretty cool scene - but it was built on player stuff with minimal DM support. When I say minimal I mean it. How do I know? I played the wizard that messed him up. Before that I played the crimelord employer that gave Vince work. And I know my own PCs were just a small part of many PCs that played a role in that player-driven story. What made it good was the scope of players the player of Vince managed to involve. It's the work of one player who delivered an excellent story that impacted many others.

More than that, to say the server has gotten boring since his end does a disservice to the story that has gone on since then. New narratives and old continue to tick over driven largely by players interacting with one another and building story off the back of that. The guy that played the red wolf is running a druid circle right now. You can - this very day - go to an open moot advertised right here!

It's cool. There's eco-terrorists there, probably. Nothing run by DMs, but it's super roleplay that generates stuff to pursue. I also hear a certain rebel is running a crew somewhere out there. There's also a group of adventurer scholars on the rise. Some assassins. A physician. A spy group. A circus. They're doing it on their own initiatives. I know the Garda haven't been idle. Stuff is always happening, and it is very possible to make stuff happen.

All of that said? If you're a player that is desperate for DM attention you'll find that DMs actually pretty regularly advertise for players to take part in their plots.  They also regularly run stuff for official factions, so they're another good option.

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2020, 04:16:18 PM »

Are the two mutually exclusive? Does having an occasional NPC presence somehow prevent player-driven narrative?

Players are generally more interesting than DMs. DMs have to stick to acting out NPCs that they cannot flesh out as well as individual writers flesh out single characters.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive, but DM reinforcement is seldom needed for purposes of narrative. If you need a DM for a scene you cannot do yourself, ask for them in the generic requests thread.

Overall, this server is as fun as people make it to be with the tools they are given and the time they are willing to put in.

Hallvor Hadiya

• The Underworld
  • Undead Master
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
This isn't to say the current situation is perfect; ideally everyone would feel involved and able to influence events in-game; we could use more DMs but that too is nothing new. However, we've taken steps and continue taking steps to empower players to tell their stories and create their events without DM assistance. We've given MPCs a lot more tools in the past year to create scenes, added the Disguise system, expanded craftable placeables in the last few years (something that didn't exist 5 years ago) and we're working on adding persistent buildings to use by players. Ultimately, it's the players's responsibility to use those tools and tell stories and create healthy dynamics with others. That's not something we can do for players, neither on the development nor DM side.

Thank you for taking the time out to respond EO, it means a lot to see direct feedback to our suggestions and questions. And as you said POTM has been 15 years in the making its hard for someone to gain or hold true perspective. But at its core any of these suggestions are just that, suggestions. What a lot of people feel or want is greater responsibility, whether this is the form of their environment as you've said "persistent buildings" which speaking for myself I am looking forward to. Or greater control without DM supervision.

So my question to you is "what is the best way to use the current systems in place" and or "how address these issues when they arries, or are they non issues in the eyes of the staff?"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 04:26:35 PM by Hallvor Hadiya »

Leezil

• Undead Master
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
99.99% of time spent without so much as sniffing a DM is perfectly good. But as some have mentioned, the playerbase is empowered with a number of tools that allow us to not require a DM more than that (or even at all). My argument isn't "We need more DMing", my argument is that the perspective of those who are against this seems to line up with those who have been involved in DM plots. For those who spend 100% of time without ever seeing a hint of DM plots, player plots are that much more important. As several of you have pointed out, these are the bread and butter of the server and rightfully so. Which is why IMO these tools can be very good things and are worth several attempts. They allow two player characters to do more together in their character stories than they would otherwise.

I'm not arguing for more DM activity. I feel that tools like placeable crafting, MPCs, garda positions, etc have done so much for player narratives. To me it makes sense that OP's idea is a tool to support player narratives even more. I've seen the post above mentioning that it's failed in the past, but that gives us lessons to learn so it can be attempted in the future.

Just imagine if we didn't have garda, placeeables, or MPCs. We'd be even more reliant on DMs to support player-driven narratives.
Portrait - link

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
The problem with the original suggestion is that it's something we've already experienced in the past for a good four years; however, it never worked under its different forms. Among other things, we had individual agents of the Count who represented Strahd in different matters, handpicked by DMs, and a faction of vampires (pre-current MPC rules) who worked directly for Strahd to be this threat people speak of.

Unfortunately, in practice, the agents of the Count had limited things to do, and they ended up using it more as an OOC/IC status symbol and a way to skirt consequences; that brought nothing to the server or the community except problems and needless OOC conflict (guards were particularly frustrated). The faction itself also had little to do; they were given directives, but truth is most people aren't on the Count's radar and when they are, it's often because they are disruptive high levels, hardly something that can be handled solely via RP.

^ This. I've personally experienced this crap on POTM perhaps 8 years ago. It's the politician problem, give people power and that power can and will be exploited for personal gain. It can also lead to information that is typically supposed to be limited (EX: Strahd being a vampire, the Tatyana stuff) to spread uncontrollably.
"No, you." -Captain America

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2020, 05:48:16 PM »
I think virtually everyone agrees that empowering players to do more, in a responsible manner, is great.

But certain ideas for delegations of powers may undermine existing tools or principles. Especially if that power is not specifically bound towards some clear objective; in the context of PotM, that usually either means basic day-to-day administration, or a strict story-orientated goal.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »
I think there seems to be some bait-and-switch occurring in the arguments here, in that the thread title is "DM Presence Problem" while then saying the OP is "not arguing for more DM activity." The OP very much framed these measures as alternatives to having more DMs. More importantly, the argument presented then was to give certain players more DM-like powers via the ANPC.

An important distinguishing characteristic lies between empowering the player base and empowering individuals. The improvements EO lists that have occurred tend to be the former, whereas the abuses he described in the past occurred from doing the latter.

Moreover, although players ultimately have to drive the narrative, we occupy a shared space, and that narrative is to have a certain unity to it, a faithfulness to the setting. Those chosen for the DM team presumably understand that, as well as evidencing a thorough knowledge of server rules and managing player interactions and expectations.