Author Topic: Character Phenotypes  (Read 699 times)

Fantasia

• New to the Mists
Character Phenotypes
« on: December 31, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
So I love the new height modifiers, and I'm thankful to the team for that. Another suggestion in the same realm of character customization I was thinking of was phenotype changing, including having access to the heads of that phenotype, too.

My reference for this actually working is, of course, going to be Sinfar in that regard because I'm unaware of any other server doing that amount of customization (sans all the 18+ stuff of course). I was curious if it's possible to do something similar to that however make it more realistic. For example, limiting certain phenotypes to certain races. (I.E. Halfling, Gnome, and Dwarf limited to those races and runts only. The Elf Phenotype limited to Elves and half-elves. The human phenotype limited to Elves of certain types, half-elves, humans, and half-orcs.)

I'm aware it may not be possible exactly how I'm envisioning it however it would be nice for half-orcs for example to not all have to look like bulky brutes when that's not necessarily true for the character. Some half-orcs look more orc than others after all. It's all down to birth and bloodline.
Character Name          Active?
Marian Castle            [Yes]   No
Corinne Monroe         [Shelved]
Naomi Trinity             [Shelved]
Korin Noamuth          [Shelved]
Mollie                       [Shelved]

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Character Phenotypes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 10:06:06 AM »
Well, it’s quite simple implementation-wise. But we’ve chosen not to do this in the past because we find it leads to cheesing and all manner of other things. We rely on players to use their descriptions and emotes to characterize their PCs beyond the limitations of the phenotype.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Fantasia

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »
I totally understand about the cheesing, hence my suggestions for certain phenotypes restricted to certain races and subraces. If that level of restrictions on that isn't possible, then oh well. I just thought I'd throw the suggestion out there to see if it was without giving leeway for cheesing a half-orc that looks like a 3-foot tall hin or vice versa.
Character Name          Active?
Marian Castle            [Yes]   No
Corinne Monroe         [Shelved]
Naomi Trinity             [Shelved]
Korin Noamuth          [Shelved]
Mollie                       [Shelved]

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
I totally understand about the cheesing, hence my suggestions for certain phenotypes restricted to certain races and subraces. If that level of restrictions on that isn't possible, then oh well. I just thought I'd throw the suggestion out there to see if it was without giving leeway for cheesing a half-orc that looks like a 3-foot tall hin or vice versa.

We don't think using the elf phenotype when you're a human is much better than using the human phenotype when you're an orc or the halfling phenotype when you're a half-elf--it's the same decision, for the same reason.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »
I would see it for half-orcs, though, because the NWN half orc model is absurd. Not every single half-orc is barrel-chested with giant arms and chicken legs.