You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Adding Heroes of Horror Classes/Feats to Potm?  (Read 2075 times)

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
Adding Heroes of Horror Classes/Feats to Potm?
« on: December 30, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
I know "Alan you insane forum goblin why?!" But, before you all lose your proverbial lids hear me out. The Dev team has done a fantastic job adding the PRC's involved in Ravenloft which I haven't been privileges' to play or try mostly cause I'm scared of rejection and I've yet to be successful in any of my applications.... Anyways so I was considering some base classes and was looking over the Heroes of Horror which was in most point a transferable medium between Ravenloft and other D&D mechanics and some of these concepts are like really awesome and fitting for Ravenloft. I recommend looking up Heroes of Horror I personally played it and its a lot of fun and adding it to a Ravenloft Campaign gave a deeper feel of dread and mystique to the Dread Realm.

Now I'm not a fan of Potm's Paladins but there's all this talk about how hard core roleplaying a paladin is and the woeful fear of failing in your paladin ways that its almost impossible to redeem so I was thinking of why not adding the Corrupt Avenger prestige class!

http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/corrupt-avenger/index.html

Next one up the Death Delver! Curious about the mysteries of death? One with the eternal? Then check out the Death Delver not really apriest or a monk but happy go to for those seeking further knowledge and acceptance about death. In the dread Realm and all those dying about one has to ask is Death the End or the Experience? Whelp try this one out!

http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/death-delver/index.html

Feats

DEFORMITY (SKIN) [VILE] Due to a regimen of deliberate abuse, you have roughened your skin until it has grown as coarse and tough as rhino hide. Prerequisites: Evil alignment, Willing Deformity.
Benefit: You gain a +1 natural armor bonus.
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Its effects stack.
POTM Penalty: Deliberately increases one's OCR +4 each time Making them reviled by their fellow man by their appearance

DEFORMITY (TALL) [VILE] Through long and painful stints on the rack, bolstered by the surgical implantation of various splints and struts, you have stretched yourself to well over 7 feet in height.
Prerequisites: Evil alignment, Willing Deformity, Medium size.
Benefit: Even though you are still technically a Medium creature, your improved height and lanky limbs grant you an additional 5 feet to your reach, thereby allowing you to strike nonadjacent squares with nonreach weapons.
Special: You are a larger and clumsier target than you were before undergoing the height extension, giving you –1 to your AC. You also take a –2 penalty on Hide checks.

DEFORMITY (TEETH) [VILE] By fi ling your teeth to points and brutalizing your gums, you gain a hideous smile full of razor-sharp teeth that enable you to make a grisly bite attack.
Prerequisites: Evil alignment, Willing Deformity.
Benefit: You gain a bite attack that can be used as a natural weapon to deal damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier. If you attack with other weapons, you can use your bite as a secondary attack (taking a –5 penalty on your attack roll) for 1d4 + half Strength modifier damage. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus on Intimidate/Antagonize checks.
POTM Penalty: Increases OCR +2, -2 to Persuade, -2 to Spell Craft, -2 to Perform, -2 to Linguist, -2 to Appraise, -2 to Bluff

DEFORMITY (TONGUE) [VILE] Through protracted self-mutilation that involves frequently piercing your tongue and dipping it in acid, your tongue becomes hideous to behold but oddly sensitive to the environment.
Benefit: You gain the ability to sense your surroundings by taste, much as a serpent can. You gain the blindsense ability out to a range of 30 feet.
POTM Penalty: ?

MAD FAITH [TAINTED] Your depravity has twisted the connection between you and your patron deity. You suffer fl ashes of insight interrupted by flashes of madness.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast 1st-level divine spells, mild depravity.
Benefit: You gain a bonus 1st-level divine spell per day. If you have moderate depravity, then you also gain a 2nd-level divine spell per day. If you have severe depravity, then you also gain a 3rd-level divine spell per day. However, it takes twice as long for you to pray for your spells each day.
POTM Penalty: Select Cleric spells to chose from can be taken three times to gain 1 Spell /per day use. Useful and powerfull since they have Mad Faith penalty to Will Saving throw maybe at -2 first, 2nd -4, and 3rd -6 Will penalty?

HAUNTING MELODY You can use your music to inspire fear.
Prerequisites: Bardic music, Perform 9 ranks.
Benefit: When you sing or use some other Perform skill, you can inspire fear in enemies within 30 feet of you. Any opponent in range must succeed on a Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your bard level + your Cha modifier) or become shaken for a number of rounds equal to your ranks in the Perform skill. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.
Special: Using this ability counts as one of your daily uses of bardic music.

SPIRIT SENSE You can see and communicate with the souls of the recently departed.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 12, must have had a neardeath experience (that is, must have fallen below 0 hit points).
Benefi t: You can see the spirits of creatures who have died within a number of minutes equal to your Wisdom bonus. For instance, if your Wisdom is 17 (+3 bonus), you can see the spirits of creatures that have died within the past 3 minutes. You can speak with these spirits, but you gain no special ability to command them or to communicate with them if you do not share a language. These spirits are not creatures per se and cannot be harmed or affected in any way, magical or otherwise. In addition, you gain a +4 circumstance bonus on Listen or Spot checks made to detect incorporeal creatures.
POTM Penalty: No idea (Though this would be a nifty feat to the immeasurable amount of dying and corpse hiding if it could be implemented in a way to be use to help find the bodies of those lost. It offers a good sense for seeking out such individuals and would give an immersion of roleplay when one sees a spirit for spirit role play. Suggestions?)

WILLING DEFORMITY [VILE] Through scarification, self-mutilation, or supplication to dark powers, you intentionally mar your own body.
Prerequisite: Evil alignment.
Benefit: You gain a +3 bonus on Intimidate checks.
POTM Penalty: ? (No idea this seems simple enough)

Spells

CHAIN OF SORROW Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Corrupt 7 Components: V, S, F, Corrupt
Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature to start, possibly more; see text
Duration: See below
Saving Throw: Will half, and see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
The target of this spell takes 2d10 points of Charisma drain (Will half). If he makes his saving throw, the spell has no further effect. If he fails, however, the chain continues. The next time he touches a friend, loved one, or ally, that individual takes the same damage: 2d10 points of Charisma drain, or half with a successful save. If this second victim fails the save, she then becomes the host for the spell, and the effect continues with the fi rst friend or ally that she touches. This effect continues until the chain is broken by a successful save or until it has affected a number of people equal to the spell’s caster level.
Focus: The umbilical cord of a stillborn child.
Corruption Cost: 2d4 points of Charisma damage.

CLOAK OF HATE Enchantment [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 5, cleric 6, sorcerer/wizard 6, Spite 6 Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Living beings view the subject of this spell with instinctive hostility. All NPC reactions begin one category worse than they otherwise would (see page 72 of the Player’s Handbook), and any Diplomacy checks to moderate those reactions take a –10 circumstance penalty. Furthermore, people view the target in the worst possible light. If, for example, a community is hunting for an unknown murderer, they will assume that the subject of the spell is guilty of the crime. Player characters and NPCs who know the subject well, such as old friends or loved ones, are unaffected.
Material Component: One ounce of bile.

PACT OF RETURN Necromancy Level: Cleric 7, Spite 7 Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level

This spell allows you to establish the conditions whereby you will be brought back to life upon your death. When you cast pact of return, you must state either a specific creature or a set of specific circumstances that you expect will be responsible for your death at some point within the spell’s duration. If you name a creature, that creature does not have to deal the deathblow to trigger the release of the spell, but it must play an active part in your demise. If you name a set of circumstances, those circumstances must be reasonably specific or the spell will fail, leaving you well and truly dead. An acceptable set of circumstances would be, “I expect energy draining to play a pivotal role in my demise,” whereas an unacceptable set would be, “I expect to die from loss of hit points.” The DM decides whether the terms are acceptable. Whether the subject of your demise is a specific person or a specific source, you must die (that is, reach –10 hit points or lower) for the spell to take effect. If you do, and the circumstances of your demise are similar enough to those described when you cast the spell (DM’s discretion), you are instantly resurrected (see page 272 of the Player’s Handbook) with no level loss. You can have more than one pact of return active at the same time, each one to be triggered by a different foe or set of circumstances, but you must keep track of the total time that has elapsed
for each. A pact of return that has not yet taken effect is still a magical effect (and a powerful necromantic one, at that), which can be dispelled by one who detects its presence.

spells are a bit iffy dunno how to ascert it to the system of POTM I may re-edit this to oversee the comparison to potm and 3.5/7 conversion. Any suggestions guys?
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Adding Heroes of Horror Classes/Feats to Potm?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »

DEFORMITY (TONGUE) [VILE] Through protracted self-mutilation that involves frequently piercing your tongue and dipping it in acid, your tongue becomes hideous to behold but oddly sensitive to the environment.
Benefit: You gain the ability to sense your surroundings by taste, much as a serpent can. You gain the blindsense ability out to a range of 30 feet.

That is a seriously long tongue :D

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 09:02:11 PM »
Some of these are such cool ideas and I would love if we were able to mangle our characters with them, Caliban or not. I hope that at least some of them can be added.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 09:35:43 PM »
I know right? Heroes of Horror has some of the best conversions for 3.5 in the Day when ravenloft 3.5 received no further updates at the time. I personally own a copy and frankly this Dev team has pulled off some interesting stuff. I highly recommend giving it a look some of these were suggested mostly for there compatibility to the Ravenloft system in potm as others tend to not translate well or require a whole new system called Corruption. As A/MPC goes these would also add more flavor to them. As for regular players this would give players/characters control of their depravity into the Dread Realm and give a pronounce development into candidacy for A/MPC. There's suggests for certain Taint and Corruption into some of the more feared and unknown things in Ravenloft. But, I recommend reading more about itself. There were some curious Monsters to add but I'm not savvy enough in all the monsters in POTM yet so I can't make to many suggestions or corrections for them to fit in.

I would like to see more feats that deform or put a character down the Cursed Paths which would really give lore mechanically and roleplay wise to POTM's already building repertoire. As it stands, my opinion, we don't get many villains' or horrors since the player populace out matches the player monsters. There is a lot of lore to a sort of monster community base in ravenloft however that spans books like the Red Masquerade and other unknown titles to the common player. At least in this manner characters who develop towards providing an Antagonist roleplay can begin their transformation and provide interesting back story towards their Corruption.

anyone has any suggestions or wish to talk about some of the things mentioned thus far? I'm excited to see how this goes.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
An evil only perfect detection ability is so far beyond never going to happen as to be frankly laughable.

As for the paladin hatred, try playing one.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 04:37:51 AM »
An evil only perfect detection ability is so far beyond never going to happen as to be frankly laughable.

As for the paladin hatred, try playing one.

So? No constructive suggestion or example in how to modify it so its POTM Playable?

And theres no Hatred. Hates a strong word. As I stated not a fan of Potm paladins. I've played paladins before in D&D and in NWN Persistant worlds. Its not foriegn to me.

I'm suggesting an alternative to Fallen Paladins that is in a legit 3.5 book. Also had yah read in detail its not evil only its Taint/Corruption and its not perfect. Its restricted to a type or singular pheno simuliar to a Ranger's Favored Enemy but not identical. Example: They can't favor Demihumanoids however they can totally single out Goblins yet cant' do anything about Hobgoblins.

And sure I'll try playing a paladin if you become my mentor and I your squire. And we can go from there.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 06:07:36 AM »
The classes and one of the feats youve described are perfect detection capable, which isn't something generally present except for monsters. People like their stealth.

Some of the feats within the classes cant really be implemented all that well in the NWN environment. The tall feat could probably be done by increasing the size category of the afflicted user to grant all those penalties for no benefit beyond a better Knockdown check, theres ways to do that one at least.

The AC increasing one might be interesting but also overpowered if fighter levels are used to continuously grab more AC. Could be potentially broken if palemasters or dragon disciples find the feat room and it stacked with their innate AC bonus. I'm all for it but I know its something that has high risks of making the game too easy for people that sought power, even with any OCR increases.

The bite attack if applied as a creature weapon won't be all that great in comparison to punching someone with magical gauntlets.

Haunting Melody is already present in Ravenloft.
https://nwnravenloft.fandom.com/wiki/Haunting_Melody
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 06:13:08 AM by zDark Shadowz »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 06:38:20 AM »
Just so you know. On a general level we're not against adding some content from "Heroes of Horror", but it has to be features we feel would fit the server and, as importantly, things that can be scripted to properly render the abilities in game without inducing performance issues. Fairly sure we already scoured that book for anything we could effectively implement, but we'll have a second loot at it.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 10:45:42 AM »
Cool. I had recognize Dread Witch. But, couldn't hurt. I'm not to expereince in the conversion to POTM.

As for the feat I can see that being considered perfect detection. Only cause theres no skill to implement a counter to taste with in NWN. As for the class it is diffrent but alternatively could be altered to work similiarly to a Paladin/Blackguard Sense Good/Evil. How and what have you is uncertain. As this is off PnP not a NWN System its mostly base on direct sight and if the target is disguised or invincible they don't get the whole "O sense Evil a Foot" Jedi mind powers.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 11:11:57 AM »
Cool. I had recognize Dread Witch. But, couldn't hurt. I'm not to expereince in the conversion to POTM.

As for the feat I can see that being considered perfect detection. Only cause theres no skill to implement a counter to taste with in NWN. As for the class it is diffrent but alternatively could be altered to work similiarly to a Paladin/Blackguard Sense Good/Evil. How and what have you is uncertain. As this is off PnP not a NWN System its mostly base on direct sight and if the target is disguised or invincible they don't get the whole "O sense Evil a Foot" Jedi mind powers.

Dread Witch?  Hallowed Witch is a very different thing if thats what you mean.  As for detect good and evil - here, its detect chaos and law.  And its not perfect.  If the individual is invisible it gives a very vague idea that 'someone' is around, and nothing more, which is in line with PnP.  If the person is visible and in close range it names them clearly.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »

Dread Witch?  Hallowed Witch is a very different thing if thats what you mean.  As for detect good and evil - here, its detect chaos and law.  And its not perfect.  If the individual is invisible it gives a very vague idea that 'someone' is around, and nothing more, which is in line with PnP.  If the person is visible and in close range it names them clearly.

The dread witch is a PRC in Heroes of Horror.

The dread witch is a spellcaster who manipulates fear as readily and effectively as other casters manipulate magic itself. Drawing power from her own fear, she can cause even the brave to run screaming into the night or drop to their knees and beg for mercy. A dread witch is at her most dangerous when cornered and overpowered; at high levels dread witches are among the most terrifying of opponents—literally.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »

The dread witch is a PRC in Heroes of Horror.

The dread witch is a spellcaster who manipulates fear as readily and effectively as other casters manipulate magic itself. Drawing power from her own fear, she can cause even the brave to run screaming into the night or drop to their knees and beg for mercy. A dread witch is at her most dangerous when cornered and overpowered; at high levels dread witches are among the most terrifying of opponents—literally.

I know, I think Alan got the pair confused.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 11:48:30 AM »
As MAB said, we already considered the Vile feats but their implementation is problematic in NwN since there's no visual way to represent the deformities, aside from OcR bumps.

As for PrCs, for now we are sticking to Ravenloft PrCs we can implement mechanically fairly faithfully.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »
As MAB said, we already considered the Vile feats but their implementation is problematic in NwN since there's no visual way to represent the deformities, aside from OcR bumps.

Hmm, aren't there DM-only descriptions that can be added to PCs?  That might be a solution...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 02:36:23 PM »

Hmm, aren't there DM-only descriptions that can be added to PCs?  That might be a solution...

Most people don't read those though and the impact they would have is much lower than in a PnP campaign. They give some pretty major boons.

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
Most people don't read those though and the impact they would have is much lower than in a PnP campaign. They give some pretty major boons.

Not to weigh in on this specific issue, but the Examine Tool shows the DM descriptions (mostly lack of). If they had content, I would for sure pay attention to them, and I doubt I'm alone :D

Iridni Ren

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 02:54:13 AM »

Not to weigh in on this specific issue, but the Examine Tool shows the DM descriptions (mostly lack of). If they had content, I would for sure pay attention to them, and I doubt I'm alone :D

Either I was wrong about this or it changed in the update, but apparently you can *not* see the DM Set Description with Examine. Perhaps it only worked on your own character?