You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Drusilia Aloro's Sketchbook and Notes  (Read 785 times)

Rubi

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
Drusilia Aloro's Sketchbook and Notes
« on: December 28, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »
Where to even begin!

It seems odd to introduce myself to a book, but if anyone reads this then I guess it's probably smart to label it as mine. My name is Drusilia Aloro, daughter of Vellin and Larethia Aloro, may their souls rest in peace. I was born and raised in the city of Waterdeep. My father was a cobbler for most of his life, my mother, a minor scribe. My twin sister, Kasilia, and I were typical half-elf children, always competing with each other. We were happy for a long time.

On my sister and my's 16th Mornday our parents surprised us with news that we had considered excellent at the time: my father had finally attained a position with the City Watch and could afford to get us that which we had been saving up for for as long as I could remember. My sister would be apprenticed to a wizard of good standing reputation while I would finally be able to learn the Bardic arts. We were favored!

It seemed the gods had a different plan for us after all. One terrible night we received word that my father had been found with his throat cut in some unnamed alley.

My mother took the news very poorly. Her mental and physical health quickly declined, her work suffered, and we slowly slid into poverty. My sister was forced to hire on full time with her mentor and live with him as his chambermaid while I worked where I could in order to put food on our table. I served others in nearly every possible capacity, all to help my family. I do not know what exactly that all has done to me- but I know that I am not the person I once was.

My mother's last words to me as she lay in the throes of fever have stuck with me since. "Xalashar would have been proud of you" are the precise words that she said before she died. I have never known anyone of this name, nor has any I have known. Most likely it was her sickness speaking, yet I cannot seem to cast it from my mind.

It hardly matters now, I suppose. The next chapter of my life has arrived, for Faerun has spat me out like a stray kernel. As I stood painting a Luskan sunrise, I suppose that strange magic they call Mists must have crept up on me while I was enthralled in my work. The next thing I knew I was running through trees and thick fog until I finally emerged and found myself here, in Barovia. No matter. I am eager to see what this new world has to offer!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:58:47 AM by DaniKay »

Rubi

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
Re: Drusilia Aloro's Sketchbook and Notes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 01:00:12 PM »
The next couple pages are composed of sketches down in charcoal of various Barovian scenes.

------

Rubi

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 12:57:15 AM »

Rubi

• The Underworld
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »

What a time it has been! I do not know which deity to thank for my arrival in this place, but if I ever discover which then they shall be assured of my fervent worship! Barovia has been not only the most interesting place I've ever could have hoped to be, but the things I have learned about myself I wonder if I might have ever known back home! I only wish that I had the opportunity to contact my mother, to ask her about what this new knowledge of my heritage truly means!

This whole thing began when I met Karinova. I thought she was blind, at first, but now I believe that she has come to simply see differently from all others. She's from Faerun as well, which still feels like an odd thing to clarify, but there it is. She had grown up in a...well, there’s no word for it other than ‘cult’ dedicated to a five-headed dragon goddess named Tiamat. That’s all well and good, I had said, but where do I fit in? That was when she claimed that those recurring dreams that I’ve had are signs that somewhere down the line I have dragon blood in me. Dragon blood! Can you believe it? To speak the truth, I am still not certain that I believe it myself! But if I know anything, it is where a story lies. I can tell that this one will be most interesting!

I’ve met many individuals whom have been rather exciting- almost as if I have stepped into one of my books! Recently I have even found employment; a local Barovian theater by the name of the Broken Bell has recently changed staff and I find myself able to work there through a connection I made to a man named Yolven. He said that he enjoyed my sketches and that he would have me on as scenographer! It seems only wise to accept - I shall need the money after all if I am to continue to pursue my own story!